COVID-19: Thailand reports 23,557 new coronavirus cases; 38 deaths, 16,131 recoveries

webfact

3 hours ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Actually Thailand is ranked 110 out 180 for transparency and corruption, so their figures or anything else they say can't really be trusted.

https://www.transparency.org/en/countries/thailand

Actually, they are being transparent, so much so that we can all see right through them!

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, mommysboy said:

That mortality rate seems quite high. It suggests to me that there is a massive undercount of confirmed cases. it's likely well over 100,000.

I also posted the other Day that the Mortality rate seemed high.

0.81 % is very  close to the Delta numbers.

Are folk sure we are dealing solely with the Omicron Variant here, or is Delta still doing its evil around the Country.

28 minutes ago, vandeventer said:

Very few, it's all guess work unless you can answer my question.

It's all Omicron in Thailand right now, one variant or the other. Everything else prior has dropped off the map.

The chart below is from the Center of Specialization in Clinical Virology Faculty of Medicine, Chulalongkorn University. And reflects variant testing done for cases in Bangkok. Posted Feb. 19, 2022.

1018443694_OmicroninTH.jpg.29d951296c24f5c3e6a990cb1778a3d5.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=7228301480545740&set=a.192552250787400&type=3

Omicron kills people and puts people in the hospital every day -- just not at as high ratios as did its predecessor Delta.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

It's all Omicron in Thailand right now, one variant or the other. Everything else prior has dropped off the map.

1018443694_OmicroninTH.jpg.29d951296c24f5c3e6a990cb1778a3d5.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=7228301480545740&set=a.192552250787400&type=3

Omicron kills people and puts people in the hospital every day -- just not at as high ratios as did its predecessor Delta.

I would not be so sure about Delta falling off the chart.

Only 2 months ago, close to the start of the Omicron outbreak, it was was still 40 % of all cases Thailand.

This is the only thing that I have seen that says Delta is " finished " within the Country, and for it to fall off the chart in such a very short time seems highly unlikely to me 

More Smoke and Mirrors me thinks, as a Country still infected with Delta is not very good. However a Country Infected with only Omicron- well its bad but not so bad .

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

I would not be so sure about Delta falling off the chart.

Read the chart posted above re Thailand, and the prior one I posted above for the U.S., exactly the same, 100% Omicron.

The various authorities may have some reason to monkey with the reporting numbers for cases and deaths and such. But they have zero reason to monkey with the testing results for which COVID variants are present.

PS- The 0.81% COVID case fatality rate number you mentioned above is CUMULATIVE for Thailand since the beginning, not a reflection of current cases only.

The death rate number for recent cases is much lower, as would be expected.

12987776_RecentdeathrateforTH.jpg.d1fb8527dd3729b604b4e5da20138043.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=7118001088242447&set=a.192552250787400&type=3

• Like 1

1 minute ago, anchadian said:

Ministry aims to declare Covid-19 an endemic in four months

The Public Health Ministry aims to relegate the Covid-19 from a pandemic to an endemic in four months, it announced Thursday #Thailand

https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/40012720

Not quite as fast as some here apparently were hoping and expecting.  ????  

Perhaps the daily rising COVID case counts (now at a record high level), and serious condition and intubated COVID patient counts have something to do with that.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, anchadian said:

Ministry aims to declare Covid-19 an endemic in four months

The Public Health Ministry aims to relegate the Covid-19 from a pandemic to an endemic in four months, it announced Thursday #Thailand

https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/40012720

Face with Tears of Joy on Skype Emoticons 1.2

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mr_lob said:

Why would they want to shut down?? It has to spread in order to peak. Ever heard of natural immunity?

If anything, this is the best time as any to let it peak before another worse variant comes out. However, the unvaccinated still needs to be very worried.

• Like 1

Thailand moving to scrap all tourist restrictions this year once the Covid virus is declared endemic

In recent days, the National Economic and Social Development Council (NESDC) has revised its projection for foreign tourists this year from 5 million to 5.5 million visitors and suggests that the country can use the renewed impetus from the sector to drive GDP growth for 2022 of up to 5%.

https://www.thaiexaminer.com/thai-news-foreigners/2022/02/24/thailand-moving-back-to-free-tourist-access/

Is the government lying or is it simply - don't ask don't tell? The government is telling people if you test positive at home, you should self-isolate. Therefore, there is really no intention of actually counting how many cases there are with any degree of precision on any given day. The government said the count could get up to 100,000. That may be the case now, or close to it. 

All of this bloviating or TRUMPeting outrageous claims about being in control and being number one is part of the zeitgeist in which we are enveloped in the Roaring 20s.

Back in the 1500s Shakespeare wrote a comedy called “Much Ado About Nothing,” an apt description of what this Omicron hysteria is all about. It is really getting tiresome. PLEASE stop publishing these useless and inflammatory Covid figures.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Cake Monster said:

I also posted the other Day that the Mortality rate seemed high.

0.81 % is very  close to the Delta numbers.

Are folk sure we are dealing solely with the Omicron Variant here, or is Delta still doing its evil around the Country.

I have friends that work in the hospital, they say some people have black lungs and some don't. So to  answer your question  who the hell knows, in some countries the two mix. Maybe that's what's happening here.

Edited by vandeventer

29 minutes ago, apetryxx said:

Back in the 1500s Shakespeare wrote a comedy called “Much Ado About Nothing,” an apt description of what this Omicron hysteria is all about. It is really getting tiresome. PLEASE stop publishing these useless and inflammatory Covid figures.

Tell that to the current nearly 74,000 COVID hospitalizations in Thailand, the 905 of them in serious condition, and another 240 requiring intubation to breathe.

Screenshot_11.jpg.cd070ae73008a8853723bc4afc299e55.jpg

https://ddc.moph.go.th/covid19-dashboard/?dashboard=main

Or the 1,070 who have died of COVID in Thailand since the start of the year.

Screenshot_12.jpg.ff8029a348125dbcc25f84946dd14228.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/informationcovid19/photos/a.106455480972785/509968393954823/?type=3

PS - the above black graphic from the Thai MoPH also indicates the current COVID case fatality rate has been running 0.19% since the start of the year, as opposed to the overall and higher 0.81% cumulative rate since the start of the pandemic.

I.e. -- lower death rate with Omicron, but more overall cases.

• Like 2

Omicrom is a vaccine in itself, here in dec there where omicrom parties where people want to get it recover and travel but yes old/weaken people will die as they do with flue

Now here Ireland, even masks are going next week to voluntary.

A month ago thailand was 80% omc now should be 100% so it cant be stopped but its politics that likes restrictions and fear deflects from real issues

• Haha 2

No travel restrictions during Songkran: NSC chief

No travel restrictions will be imposed when the Centre for COVID-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) meets next week to discuss measures to be introduced during the Songkran festival in mid-April, said National Security Council Secretary-General Gen. Supot Malaniyom today (Thursday).

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/no-travel-restrictions-during-songkran-nsc-chief/

13 hours ago, robblok said:

You can't but he meant cases, because if you don't test you will never find them. They do a max 50k tests a day.

That would mean a whopping 50% infection rate - higher by 2-3 times than the highest infection rates we have seen in Europe at the peak of Omicron.

Can you back up your claim?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

according to Mr Anutin everything is under control... Why worry?? we continue with less restrictions .... And I am wondering why ???? Why when there were a few case everything went in lockdown, schools closed, curfew and so and now the cases spike... we relax.....Why ??? last months were costly and why did they not relax sooner??

When I read such posts, and see the number of approvals they get, I realize how futile it is to try a logical discussion on this forum.

16 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

PCR test positive cases, total of 23,557 official new infections. 38 official covid deaths recorded.

Rapid tests positive cases, 22,240 bringing the total of PCR and ATK results to 45,797

https://ddc.moph.go.th/covid19-dashboard/

Rolling 7 day average chart from 22nd Feb

https://ourworldindata.org/coronavirus/country/thailand

Are we sure tha the PCR postive and ATK postive numbers are exclusive of one another? I had read the plan was to verify the ATK results with PCR tests. So I am wondering if there is not at least a partial overlap between the ATK and PCR results. Similarly, if there is a delay, say today's ATK results are confirmed by tomorrow's PCR results - is it really possible to add the two number together and say that the real official finding is a reliable daily sum? Just wondering.

Edited by mbenson
corrected errors

8 hours ago, apetryxx said:

The US is losing 2-3000 per day to Omicron. I guess those numbers are too useless and inflammatory for you.

2 hours ago, mbenson said:

Are we sure tha the PCR postive and ATK postive numbers are exclusive of one another? I had read the plan was to verify the ATK results with PCR tests. So I am wondering if there is not at least a partial overlap between the ATK and PCR results. Similarly, if there is a delay, say today's ATK results are confirmed by tomorrow's PCR results - is it really possible to add the two number together and say that the real official finding is a reliable daily sum? Just wondering.

The numbers are so unreliable that it doesn't really matter....

5 hours ago, arithai12 said:

That would mean a whopping 50% infection rate - higher by 2-3 times than the highest infection rates we have seen in Europe at the peak of Omicron.

Can you back up your claim?

He's not too far off, testing is dismal in Thailand and just lately they've managed to up it to around 60k per day (blue line in chart), still pretty useless. That figure is probably an undercount on actual lab testing as they double up on testing each person sometimes when in hospital.

Positivity rate in some individual Provinces in Thailand is indeed way over 50% while in some it is just 6% so the virus still has a long way to go before its finished here in Thailand.

The national average Poisitivity rate is around 28% (official) but as you can see in the below chart is more like 36% and rising

image.png.c5a2cdb139b107ff5e004a7d46df6a17.png

image.png.04b5e6795ea1b4ad99bb59b679dc2b0a.png

https://djay.github.io/covidthailand/#testing

5 hours ago, mbenson said:

We can never be sure of anything 100% with figures produced here but this has been explained multiple times here over the months so my simplified version is. 

There may be some slight overlap but its negligible as by far the majority do not go onto take a PCR test even if placed in quarantine. What is certain is the massive undercount of cases.

The way I produce the charts is the same as WHO Thailand although not as professional....lol

image.png.24da06acac046065808a9f471c193bef.png

https://www.who.int/thailand/emergencies/novel-coronavirus-2019/situation-reports

Edited by Bkk Brian

2 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

We can never be sure of anything 100% with figures produced here but this has been explained multiple times here over the months so my simplified version is. 

There may be some slight overlap but its negligible as by far the majority do not go onto take a PCR test even if placed in quarantine. What is certain is the massive undercount of cases.

The way I produce the charts is the same as WHO Thailand although not as professional....lol

image.png.24da06acac046065808a9f471c193bef.png

https://www.who.int/thailand/emergencies/novel-coronavirus-2019/situation-reports

Out of the fire and into the frying pan...leaving the US in a few where we had 80k cases today for the entire US and headed home to Thailand where it appears the upward climb still has a way to go......ugh.

• Like 1