Renewal Of 5 Year Driver's License, expired because out of the country due to Covid

geejay

Hi Everyone

I live in The Pattaya area

I have had a Thai Driving License for 16 years but was unable to renew it as I was stuck in The UK due to Covid  restrictions.

My License expired last August 2021.

I am happy to go to the test center etc but I am not so good on my legs if I have to queue for long periods, which I recall the case there.

Can anyone recommend a good service that could assist me to complete the forms etc and perhaps call me up to the appropriate section when needed.

Many thanks

All the DLTs are now operating an appointment system in order to prevent overcrowding. (social distancing and all that) So you shouldn't have the issue of long waits and no seating. I renewed mine recently and it only took 40 mins, most of that time was spent sitting playing Sudoku!

When I went to Pattaya DLT there wasn't a long line, maybe one or two people in front of me at the front door, then when inside there's chairs available.

As for using a service, I don't have any experience.

44 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

All the DLTs are now operating an appointment system in order to prevent overcrowding. (social distancing and all that) So you shouldn't have the issue of long waits and no seating. I renewed mine recently and it only took 40 mins, most of that time was spent sitting playing Sudoku!

Thank you

What about the forms required and anything else and how to make the appointment

You have 12 months from the expiry date to renew without having to start again.

I renewed at Chonburi two weeks ago and my license had expired 11 months ago.

You need to make an appointment and non Thais have to go in person.

When you get your appointment date the paper also has a list of the required documents.

• Like 1

Pattaya Klang Driving school-they have a test track next to DLT and will queue for you. Did this May last year and they got me to nos 5 in the queue apparently only 40 farang per day catered for and checked all my paperwork. They arranged the medical but I did have to get the address confirmation from Immigration myself. They charge 3000bht-well worth it. You should only have to do the reaction, depth perception and colour tests. At the time because of Covid the 1hr video wasn't being used. At the driving school they only showed the video in Thai as it was for new license applications. Don't think you have to worry about your license lapsing especially if you can show your Foreign license.

I did mine last month in BKK 1 year 2 weeks past expiry due to same reason.

I just walked in, queued up at the counter and only had go watch the video before I'm off to the "printer". No theory test needed.

You shouldn't even need to watch the video if you're less than a year pass expiry.

Don't forget to bring your passport and proof of address!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ABCinSG said:

I did mine last month in BKK 1 year 2 weeks past expiry due to same reason.

I just walked in, queued up at the counter and only had go watch the video before I'm off to the "printer". No theory test needed.

You shouldn't even need to watch the video if you're less than a year pass expiry.

Don't forget to bring your passport and proof of address!

Faulty information. The video is required in almost every office for all licenses, however you can watch it online and get a completion certificate to print. You were given a break about the theory test as over 1 year expired it is required.

4 hours ago, paahlman said:

They do not care.. Not that I thought so either , but.. Solution is to bring an international license and get a new 2 year one withouth driving or theory. The easiest fastest it is...

Utterly false information!

• Like 1

I renewed my 5 year licence a week ago (in Udon Thani). It was 10 months expired, not a problem. You need to apply online, watch a video, answer a few simple questions and then select where and when to get your appointment. In some areas all appointments are booked for weeks, try a smaller more rural centre if that is an issue (what i did). Take the required documents, do traffic light test and brake test, take a photo, pay, pick up licence 10 minutes later. Whole process at the test centre took about 1 hour, their were sufficient socially distanced seats (there is a cap on the number of appointments each day).

10 hours ago, rickudon said:

I renewed my 5 year licence a week ago (in Udon Thani). It was 10 months expired, not a problem. You need to apply online, watch a video, answer a few simple questions and then select where and when to get your appointment. In some areas all appointments are booked for weeks, try a smaller more rural centre if that is an issue (what i did). Take the required documents, do traffic light test and brake test, take a photo, pay, pick up licence 10 minutes later. Whole process at the test centre took about 1 hour, their were sufficient socially distanced seats (there is a cap on the number of appointments each day).

Thank you

12 hours ago, rickudon said:

Exactly the same experience in Rayong.

On 2/24/2022 at 6:21 PM, Moonlover said:

Utterly false information!

It is absolutely not false info.. I just did it and so did one of my friends. Either you need your driving licence from abroad verified by the embassy OR the easiest way is to bring an international licence that can be purchased in your home country for around 20 EU or a little more maybe.. This international license is acceptale for conversion with no tests(and no visit to consulate or embassy).. Except the reaction test that is distinguish red from green light.. break test so to speak.. Then you will be issued a new license for 2 years.. since the old one is not valid any more.. 

Remember.. This is for people that already have gone more than one year over the limit.. Meaning.. the license can be renewed within a year after expiry. If more than one year you can do my mentioned method.

Edited by paahlman

On 2/24/2022 at 3:10 PM, sometimewoodworker said:

Faulty information. The video is required in almost every office for all licenses, however you can watch it online and get a completion certificate to print. You were given a break about the theory test as over 1 year expired it is required.

Again. This is not faulty info.. Some offices never ask for the complete certificate print.. Some do not even bother to send you to watch the video again.. This was in Phuket.. I hear some other provinces require what you say.., but it is also depending on what kind of licence you already have.. Maybe they are more relaxed if it is a 5 to 5 new year renewal.. From 2-5 I also did not watch any video, but I know some people has to.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, paahlman said:

Again. This is not faulty info.. Some offices never ask for the complete certificate print.. Some do not even bother to send you to watch the video again.. This was in Phuket.. I hear some other provinces require what you say.., but it is also depending on what kind of licence you already have.. Maybe they are more relaxed if it is a 5 to 5 new year renewal.. From 2-5 I also did not watch any video, but I know some people has to.

The faulty information was on the requirement to watch the video, if your DLT office requires it then it is required for all renewals. There is no “under 1 year expired” exemption. There is also no difference in which license is being renewed.

So my statement is completely correct. That the DLT office/officer you went to did not require it means nothing to other offices. It’s only meaning is that you were not required to watch the video when you renewed your license, it does not set a precedent.

TIT YMMV

Edited by sometimewoodworker

3 hours ago, paahlman said:

It is absolutely not false info.. I just did it and so did one of my friends. Either you need your driving licence from abroad verified by the embassy OR the easiest way is to bring an international licence that can be purchased in your home country for around 20 EU or a little more maybe.. This international license is acceptale for conversion with no tests(and no visit to consulate or embassy).. Except the reaction test that is distinguish red from green light.. break test so to speak.. Then you will be issued a new license for 2 years.. since the old one is not valid any more.. 

Remember.. This is for people that already have gone more than one year over the limit.. Meaning.. the license can be renewed within a year after expiry. If more than one year you can do my mentioned method.

The procedure you outline is NOT guaranteed to work. It may work for some people, it may work in some offices.

Other offices have refused to allow that exact procedure. They have maintained that once issued with a Thai driving license you are obligated to follow the Thai license process and cannot bypass it in the way you suggest.

TIT YMMV

Like previous comments make an appointment but if you still prefer help there are lots of agencies on Facebook in the Pattaya area. 

I noticed All Ways is still advertising, avoid this company.

I read the guy running the business has been locked up. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST

8 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Like previous comments make an appointment but if you still prefer help there are lots of agencies on Facebook in the Pattaya area. 

I noticed All Ways is still advertising, avoid this company.

I read the guy running the business has been locked up. 

Thanks for that one

On 2/26/2022 at 5:29 PM, sometimewoodworker said:

The procedure you outline is NOT guaranteed to work. It may work for some people, it may work in some offices.

Other offices have refused to allow that exact procedure. They have maintained that once issued with a Thai driving license you are obligated to follow the Thai license process and cannot bypass it in the way you suggest.

TIT YMMV

Yes.. I do not mean to argue agains what you say.. But the thing is .. It is not illegal to do this.. as you in the eyes of the law start again.. And when you start again this is a normal procedure.. Your old license is invalid and can not be renewed after one year after it was due for renewal. Hence it is not of any use anymore.. So a brand new license with new registration number on it is required.. Then it is considered a new thing and the procedure discussed is a normal way of doint it.. I do know it might not work everywhere. But it has worked recently. That is for sure..  ????

57 minutes ago, paahlman said:

Yes.. I do not mean to argue agains what you say.. But the thing is .. It is not illegal to do this.. as you in the eyes of the law start again.. And when you start again this is a normal procedure.. Your old license is invalid and can not be renewed after one year after it was due for renewal. Hence it is not of any use anymore.. So a brand new license with new registration number on it is required.. Then it is considered a new thing and the procedure discussed is a normal way of doint it.. I do know it might not work everywhere. But it has worked recently. That is for sure..  ????

You completely misunderstand the rules.

Your Thai license is invalid for driving the day it expires. 
The regulations allow for renewal with no special extra requirements up to 1 year. Your new license has a different number.

Between 1 year and 3 years expired you are required to do a theory test. (Your license can be renewed) Your new license has a different number.

Over 3 years you are required to do a driving test and theory test. (Your license can be renewed) Your new license has a different number.

On each renewal you get a different license number. 

The procedure you outline is not within the driving license regulations. 

Your DLT office may go outside the regulations, many others will not. Others may try your procedure, they may get lucky or the DLT office may enforce the license renewal requirements.

this is once again TIT YMMV

14 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Your new license has a different number.

My license numbers did not change. 

They did change my license numbers when they went from the laminated covered license (old type) to the current. 

5 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

My license numbers did not change. 

They did change my license numbers when they went from the laminated covered license (old type) to the current. 

My error in assuming that since both my licenses have had a different number each time I renewed (6 different numbers) that it was universal, all of them are laminated. So TIT YMMV