Assault on Kiev: Russian helicopters swoop above Ukraine's capital

Chris.B

1 hour ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

No, he's a Conservative who doesn't want to go to war 

You accused heybruce, who has definitely not advocated sending troops to Ukraine, but has vociferously supported arming that nation, of being a left winger. In what way does his advocacy differ from Boris Johnson's? Not at all, as far as I can see. So, by your logic, Johnson must be a left-winger, too.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, placeholder said:

You accused heybruce, who has definitely not advocated sending troops to Ukraine, but has vociferously supported arming that nation, of being a left winger. In what way does his advocacy differ from Boris Johnson's? Not at all, as far as I can see. So, by your logic, Johnson must be a left-winger, too.

That's a bit too confusing for me 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

That's a bit too confusing for me 

Let me simplify it for you. According to you, strongly advocating for advanced and powerful weaponry for Ukraine, as heybruce does, means one is a left winger. Boris Johnson strongly advocates for advanced and powerful weaponry for Ukraine. Therefore, Boris Johnson is a left winger.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, tgw said:

Asovstal is the last remaining pocket - why are they still bombing outside of the steel plant ?

Yea thats why I put yet to be confirmed, lets see what transpires and if it gets into main stream media, they are certainly using bunker busting bombs but I thought they were for the steelworks to. 

Reports show Russia preparing 3-ton bomb to drop on Mariupol

The FAB-3000 is an unguided 3,000 kilograms (6,600 pounds) bomb, which was primarily designed for the destruction of industrial, urban, and port facilities. This type of bomb was used by both Soviet bombers, the Tupolev Tu-16 and the Tupolev Tu-22M, during the war in Afghanistan in the 1980s.  

https://www.aerotime.aero/articles/30700-russia-feared-to-use-soviet-3-ton-bomb-in-mariupol

1 minute ago, placeholder said:

Let me simplify it for you. According to you, strongly advocating for advanced and powerful weaponry for Ukraine, as heybruce does, means one is a left winger. Boris Johnson strongly advocates for advanced and powerful weaponry for Ukraine. Therefore, Boris Johnson is a left winger.

No, quite a few Left wingers want a war with Russia,  or a confrontation at least .

Right wingers typically want to keep out of the war between Russia and Ukraine and let them both get on with it 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

Putin may well be contemplating a lightning strike into Finland and/or Sweden, not necessarily to seize Helsinki or Stockholm or topple the governments, but just to hold enough of a piece of their territories to ignite a conflict and effectively disqualify them from NATO membership. The unwritten catch-22 NATO rule that trapped Ukraine in a legal limbo for 20 years could do the same for the two Scandinavian aspirants now. No country in a conflict situation can expect to be admitted as long as the conflict exists, because it automatically would bring the fighting to NATO under Article 5’s collective defense mandate.

https://thehill.com/opinion/international/3272099-will-nato-defy-putin-and-allow-finland-and-sweden-to-join/

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Hummin said:

If he attack Sweden and Finland, there will be 100 000 recruits from  all over Europe ready to fight, and Nato will intervene for sure. Finland and Sweden have a modern and solid army, and russians is not capable to hold the lines, and expect Finland and Sweden moving forces to Ukraine to weaken their lines there to. Putin will start 3 world war by doing so Guaranteed.

The brutality we have seen by russians by now, was expected just by looking back on the Chechen wars.

Sweden have the air-force and Finland the land force with high mobility. 

erm ... attack with what ?

22 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Putin may well be contemplating a lightning strike into Finland and/or Sweden, not necessarily to seize Helsinki or Stockholm or topple the governments, but just to hold enough of a piece of their territories to ignite a conflict and effectively disqualify them from NATO membership. The unwritten catch-22 NATO rule that trapped Ukraine in a legal limbo for 20 years could do the same for the two Scandinavian aspirants now. No country in a conflict situation can expect to be admitted as long as the conflict exists, because it automatically would bring the fighting to NATO under Article 5’s collective defense mandate.

https://thehill.com/opinion/international/3272099-will-nato-defy-putin-and-allow-finland-and-sweden-to-join/

This kind speculation is what it is. Has been going on here in Finland any kind point of view.

And its meaningless, Finland going to request NATO membership before June and we will see what Russia going to do. But if NATO hold down Finland application because some action from Russians then it shows how weak it is! If Russian provocation make NATO to back off. If (BIG IF) Putin try to attack here in Finland he going to hit hes head to "Karjala" pine tree like all hes forefathers before! Finland has anyway one of the most powerful army in Europe and we can put arm's almost 1 million men whitch all has get military training!

Edited by 2 is 1
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, 2 is 1 said:

This kind speculation is what it is. Has been going on here in Finland any kind point of view.

And its meaningless, Finland going to request NATO membership before June and we will see what Russia going to do. But if NATO hold down Finland application because some action from Russians then it shows how weak it is! If Russian provocation make NATO to back off. If (BIG IF) Putin try to attack here in Finland he going to hit hes head to "Karjala" pine tree like all hes forefathers before! Finland has anyway one of to most powerful army in Europe and we can put arm's almost 1 million men whitch all has get military training!

It's impossible for Finland to join NATO before June 29. See linked article.

18 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

It's impossible for Finland to join NATO before June 29. See linked article.

They sent application i know schedule! Every NATO country need accept first! That take 4 to 12 month!

Edited by 2 is 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Did you read the post i quoted?

yes, my point is Putin doesn't have anything to attack with ????

but I quoted the wrong post 555

26 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tgw said:

yes, my point is Putin doesn't have anything to attack with ????

but I quoted the wrong post 555

Thats another question what he is going to attack with, still Russia is ranked nr 1. as Europe’s strongest army, mostly based on their amount of nuclear arsenal, and also number of potential troopers.

I do not think Putin will do so,  but who knows. 

Nato need to make a clear statement that if he do so, they will intervene. There is no way back after that in my opinion. Two more  peaceful countries attacked after invasion of Ukraine by Putin is game on and game over for the world we know. 

36 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

The unwritten catch-22 NATO rule that trapped Ukraine in a legal limbo for 20 years could do the same for the two Scandinavian aspirants now.

What does that actually mean ?

Is it a rule or not ?

If its not an actual rule, NATO do not have to abide by it and thus the whole article is scare mongering nonsense

2 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

What does that actually mean ?

Is it a rule or not ?

If its not an actual rule, NATO do not have to abide by it and thus the whole article is scare mongering nonsense

I think NATO has rule that they cant take new member if that country is war at the time.

12 minutes ago, 2 is 1 said:

I think NATO has rule that they cant take new member if that country is war at the time.

Which rule is that ?

I have searched online and cannot find anything .

The rules for joining NATO are :

-New members must uphold democracy, including tolerating diversity.

--New members must be making progress toward a market economy.

--Their military forces must be under firm civilian control.

--They must be good neighbors and respect sovereignty outside their borders.

--They must be working toward compatibility with NATO forces.

2 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

I read that they can't if borders are disputed. Probably both reasons apply.

border disputes can't be a reason unless they are very major disputes, because almost every country has border disputes.

5 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Which rule is that ?

I have searched online and cannot find anything .

The rules for joining NATO are :

-New members must uphold democracy, including tolerating diversity.

--New members must be making progress toward a market economy.

--Their military forces must be under firm civilian control.

--They must be good neighbors and respect sovereignty outside their borders.

--They must be working toward compatibility with NATO forces.

6. States which have ethnic disputes or external territorial disputes, including irredentist claims, or internal jurisdictional disputes must settle those disputes by peaceful means in accordance with OSCE principles. Resolution of such disputes would be a factor in determining whether to invite a state to join the Alliance.

and

17. As noted in Chapter 1, the resolution of such disputes would be a factor in determining whether to invite a state to join the Alliance.

https://www.nato.int/cps/en/natohq/official_texts_24733.htm

• Like 1