Assault on Kiev: Russian helicopters swoop above Ukraine's capital

Chris.B

25 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

I don't thing some of them are, to be frank we still don't what the actual situation is.

France 24 is still showing film from 2 days ago.

Whats france 24 showing a 2 day old film got to do with anything, they also have a live feed up to the minute

https://www.france24.com/en/europe/20220226-live-ukraine-vows-to-fight-on-as-kyiv-readies-for-russian-missile-attacks

2 minutes ago

Ukraine claims to have expelled Russian troops from its second city Kharkiv in the east of the country after Russian armoured vehicles got through its defences.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, rudi49jr said:

No, your POV is not neutral, as you keep repeating that Ukraine should surrender. How is that neutral?

Meaning I'm neutral doesn't forbid a viewpoint.

Edited by Kwasaki
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, rudi49jr said:

How about the viewpoint that the Russians should stop their criminal invasion and withdraw all their troops from Ukrainian territory? That would surely solve the situation, wouldn’t it? But somehow I have never seen you mention anything like that. Hmmm….

why would I mention that I have no idea whether that would solve the situation.

What will be will be and it's seems nobody knows anything of what's actually going happen yet.

Keep in mind thanks to Putin Ukraine is an active war zone.

So as in any war, there is the fog of war.

The odds are still overwhelming that Russia will meet its war goals followed by a resistance.

I heard that Macron said today that could drag on for years.

I said the same thing before.

For Ukraine to win this initial war phase would be a miracle.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Putin, raising the rhetoric and scaremongering. Absolute nutcase!

PUBLISHED: February 27, 2022 at 8:40 a.m. | UPDATED: February 27, 2022

KYIV, Ukraine (AP) — In a dramatic escalation of East-West tensions over Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, President Vladimir Putin ordered Russian nuclear deterrent forces put on high alert Sunday in response to what he called “aggressive statements” by leading NATO powers.

The order means Putin has ordered Russia’s nuclear weapons prepared for increased readiness to launch, raising the threat that the tensions could boil over into a nuclear war. In giving it, the Russian leader also cited hard-hitting financial sanctions imposed by the West against Russia, including Putin himself.

https://www.readingeagle.com/2022/02/27/putin-puts-russias-nuclear-forces-on-alert-cites-sanctions/

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

Just now, Jingthing said:

He's getting on. May as well take the rest of the world along for the ride  I understand Russians being brainwashed by nationalism and propaganda but I can't understand the support he gets from westerners.

So he's very dangerous now. Sounds like he feels that he's losing.

Yea, its not been as easy as he thought it was going to be, the BBC is also now carrying the nuke statement, additionally unverified reports of Belarus sending forces into Ukraine

Reports suggest Belarus prepares to send its troops to Ukraine, joining Putin in war

6 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

He's getting on. May as well take the rest of the world along for the ride  I understand Russians being brainwashed by nationalism and propaganda but I can't understand the support he gets from westerners.

So he's very dangerous now. Sounds like he feels that he's losing.

seeing how well Ukrainian forces are resisting, I wonder if the whole thing has not been planned as a bear trap.

• Like 2

Just read that Ukraine and Russia will start negotiations on the Ukraine - Belarus border. Hope they can work something out before things get really out of hand, but somehow I doubt it. Putin will probably come with some crazy demands, like he has been doing from the start.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, rudi49jr said:

Just read that Ukraine and Russia will start negotiations on the Ukraine - Belarus border. Hope they can work something out before things get really out of hand, but somehow I doubt it. Putin will probably come with some crazy demands, like he has been doing from the start.

From the Associated Press:

"Around the same time as Putin’s nuclear move, Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy’s office said on the Telegram messaging app that the two sides would meet at an unspecified location on the Belarusian border. The message did not give a precise time for the meeting.

The announcement came hours after Russia announced that its delegation had flown to Belarus to await talks. Ukrainian officials initially rejected the move, saying any talks should take place elsewhere than Belarus, where Russia placed a large contingent of troops. Belarus was one of the places from where Russian troops entered Ukraine."

https://www.readingeagle.com/2022/02/27/putin-puts-russias-nuclear-forces-on-alert-cites-sanctions/

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

Ukraine reports 198 people killed, 1 is to many but seeing as it's a war that seems a low estimate of death.

Ukraine reports over 4000 Russian solders killed it's a peculiar type of war so far.

Haven't we been told that the Russians have 100,000 (140,000, 180,000, you name it) soldiers at the their border? Then, after all, the invasion is not so impressive, is it?

Surprisingly, we did not hear any numbers of the Ukraine's armies. But somewhere was mentioned that Zelensky advising the remaining citizens to fill up bottles for Molotov cocktail.  In that case, the results are pretty impressive, aren't they?

10 minutes ago, rudi49jr said:

As a matter of fact, the negotiations were planned already for Friday and Zelensky first agreed (did we hear about that?).  For that the Russians ceased the fighting.  However, Zelensky - or somebody else - has changed his mind and refused to come. 

Now, as of Sunday afternoon, after Lukashenko's intervention to Zelensky, he agreed, however, not to Minsk (another Minsk No... and counting?) but to another town in Belarus Gomel. The Russians are there already, awaiting the UA delegation.  This time the Russians remarked, the fighting will not be ceased.    

3 hours ago, tomyami said:

Germany just upended it rules on sending arms to Ukraine and will increase its defence budget

Last week it was a promise of only 5,000 helmets.  The chancellor declared that they did not want to fuel the war from the well known historic reasons of German involvement in Ukraine/Russia (did we hear about taht here?).  Wondering what (or who) changed his mind...

• Haha 2

38 minutes ago, rudi49jr said:

Yeah he wants total surrender or nothing. 

• Like 1

Numerous posts have been removed for not following the forum's basic rules regarding posting of news and related content.  Here's a repeat of the pertinent rules posted earlier in this thread:

--News and other factual content in posts needs to be clearly attributed to credible news sources, and include a weblink directly pointing to the actual source content.

--Social media content is allowed in news topics, but typically only if the sources are credible news media or government type entities. And like above, must include a direct weblink to the source content.

--The primary language of ASEAN NOW is English, so posted content must be in the English language.