Assault on Kiev: Russian helicopters swoop above Ukraine's capital

Chris.B

3 hours ago, Credo said:

I highly doubt the west has special forces in Ukraine.  Special Forces are usually engaged in a very specific mission, things like extracting a person, eliminating someone, destroying a specific target, etc..  They usually aren't just roaming around helping fight a war.   At any rate, I'll await the many, many Special Forces retirees gracing the bar stools to give us more insight.   

I suspect there are plenty of spies, informants and others passing on information.

Extraction is one of the very reasons they maybe in there, they certainly were there till very recently, Canada sent a small contingent there back in Jan although they have said they've now left but who knows.

"The unit has also been tasked with helping to develop evacuation plans for Canadian diplomatic personnel in the event of a full-scale invasion, sources said.

Neither the government nor the Canadian Forces would officially confirm the special forces presence in Ukraine when contacted by Global News, other than to say special forces operators have been involved in Canada’s broader assistance to Ukraine."

I have no doubt other countries also sent theirs although whether some still remain who knows?

• Like 1

3,500 Russians killed in 3 days?  If true, that's pretty massive losses.  In comparison, the US lost 2,500 service members in Afghanistan.  In 20 years.  Anyhow, not sure if these numbers are accurate or been confirmed.

[More than 3,500 Russian soldiers have been killed since the invasion of Ukraine began earlier this week, according to the Ukrainian military.]

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/ukraine-killed-3-500-russians-ex-president-says-amid-fierce-kyiv-battles/ar-AAUlDsS

• Haha 1

I understand it was Thomas Macaulay who remarked on the Russian aristocracy "dripping with pearls and vermin".

"Journey into Russia" by Sir Lauren van der Post is one of the best books I have read on how ordinary Russians are generous and hospitable, while subject to one of the world's most stifling political systems, and led by people with all the wrong motives. Peter and Catherine were probably the only leaders they had that were worthy of the name.

31 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

There are a majority of people in this world, who are not critical thinkers. They listen to what they have been told. It is easier to be like that, on a certain level. There seems to be a desire for what people perceive to be a "strong leader", whatever that means. Biden is not impressive to me. But, I will take him over Putin. I can blog about Biden with fear of being assassinated, which Putin seems to do for sport. Hey, after all Americans chose Trump. If he had his way, he would be quite similar to Putin. Likely, the same applies to Prayuth, who thankfully has a very limited amount of power, or ability to carry out his messianic dreams. 

I have no love lost for Putin or the current political situation in Russia , but if we are to not be part in the above group of people who lack critical thinking, then we should also apply some of that to ourselves and not buy the the western line hook and sinker.

Putin is not Russia, and Russia has  historical, cultural and strategic claims in the Ukraine. Russia , if they can help it, will not allowed the Ukraine to be part on NATO just as we would not have allowed countries in our back door to have been  part of the  Warsaw Pact. when the USSR was a thing.   

The situation in the Ukraine is more complicated than the black  and white  picture  the west would like us to believe .

So  , has the US abandoned the Monroe doctrine, or are we to believe in  American exceptionalism, and that such attitude concerning a sphere of influence only applies to the US?  

Edited by sirineou
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The irony is IF Ukraine survives this intact which might mean after resistance to a Putin puppet the case for swift inclusion in Nato and or EU will be stronger. 

As it stands now Putin the Evil has created hatred towards Russia in Ukraine and internationally that will last generations. In other words he's not as smart as many in the west including alt right pro autocracy white nationalists give him credit for.

There was no urgency about Nato before this 

Putin may have lets hope so planted the seeds of the destruction of his own regime with this stupid stupid war crimes invasion.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

SAN FRANCISCO, Feb 26 (Reuters) - SpaceX billionaire Elon Musk said on Saturday that the company's Starlink satellite broadband service is available in Ukraine and SpaceX is sending more terminals to the country, whose internet has been disrupted due to the Russian invasion.

Well, that's important. The most bloodthirsty and aggressive warriors are on Twitter.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Chris.B said:

I would guess the internet is extremely important for Ukraine to keep in touch with it's civilian militia and other armed civilians. 

There are important reasons to maintain online connectivity, no doubt. But don't get carried away. At one point Ukrainian officials were asking people not to post photos or video online, because it might reveal their operations and movements to Russia. 

On 2/25/2022 at 8:50 PM, 4MyEgo said:

The one thing you forgot here, is that Iraq was a push over, Russia is a nuclear power, so the USA and others will not get involved militarily because the last thing anyone wants is a nuclear war and Putin is not the late Saddam Hussain. 

I think you misunderstand my post. I'm saying that RUSSIA is acting like America during the gulf war. Obviously America does not want to get involved here.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

If Russia can't win this war or are at the brink of down right losing it, could Putin use nuclear weapon? 

Would his military follow through with his order?

Of course he could. If backed to the wall and its looking like that might happen, so he might. 

People not following orders would be erased.

So from that perspective perhaps we should be hoping Putin gets what he wants.

Edited by Jingthing

1 hour ago, John Drake said:

Well, that's important. The most bloodthirsty and aggressive warriors are on Twitter.

Yes Putin is indeed one of those bloodthirsty warriors.

However twitter and general internet access is how Ukraine is keeping in contact with the world including Volodymyr Zelensky their president who has been on the frontline alongside his troops and civilians defending their country.

https://mobile.twitter.com/zelenskyyua?lang=en

Unlike precious Putin barking his orders from afar..................

Edited by Bkk Brian
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

Not defending past American foreign policy mistakes and there many but there are differences.

Limiting this to post WW2.

So for example  the US goes into Iraq but the goal was never to make Iraq  part of the US, to claim Iraq doesn't exist and isn't a real country.

Had you read my first post on the subject I was saying that Russia was acting LIKE the US when it went into Iraq, thinking it would be all over quickly, but the reality is that nothing is that easy.

As for American plans for Iraq, they may not have wanted to take it over, but I doubt they were expending American lives and treasure without hope of a payoff.

5 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

If Russia can't win this war or are at the brink of down right losing it, could Putin use nuclear weapon? 

I doubt any of us could answer that. However, I'm sure dependable ( to Putin ) hands are on the nuclear arsenal.

4 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Who knows. I never thought he would be crazy enough to attack Ukraine but he has , so I was wrong.

My experience is that people like Putin are invariably surrounded by their yes men. Men who if they were in another profession would be known as fluffers.  People who have strongly differing views to Putin are unlikely to form part of his praetorian guard . So , being surround by a lot of fawning and obsequious cronies , he has probably had nothing from them except encouragement and agreement on his fantasy of easy conquest. Thus , believing that it would all be over inside a few days he is now staring at the stark reality that things are rapidly going pear shaped.

I don't suppose that Russian media will allow pictures of returning body bags to be circulated but if ever they do it might give even his erstwhile supporters second thoughts on the wisdom of getting bogged down in a long drawn out struggle.