Assault on Kiev: Russian helicopters swoop above Ukraine's capital

Chris.B

18 minutes ago, candide said:

Interesting analysis. Apparently, It's not going to end soon.

"To win the war in Ukraine, Repass advocates that the US and its allies build up a Ukrainian strategic force amounting to five brigades of up to 40,000 soldiers capable of mounting offensive operations to force the Russians out of their country."

https://edition.cnn.com/2022/05/04/opinions/bergen-repass-ukraine-interview/index.html

Indeed and something that Russia never planned for in the 3 day invasion plan A

The Biden administration in recent days has made plain its commitment to support Ukraine and bolster Eastern European allies for the long haul. And the decision to deploy 20,000 additional U.S. troops in response to the conflict — and possibly more in the weeks and months to come — has the potential to drastically alter the U.S. military footprint across Europe for decades to come.

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/05/05/there-is-no-going-back-how-the-war-in-ukraine-has-pushed-biden-to-rearm-europe-00030352

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

How do I propose? I suggest that question is put to the chief prosecutor of the ICC or the one of numerous international prosecutors who are currently helping Ukraine in the investigations. As for Sergiy Kyslytsya speaking at the UN Security council yesterday and referencing Milosevic, the fact he is dead was the whole point of the reference.

It doesn't make any sense as a reference since the ICC can't impose the death penalty.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, placeholder said:

It doesn't make any sense as a reference since the ICC can't impose the death penalty.

Probably best to take that up with the Ukraine diplomat who tweeted it, I'm sure he'll be happy to clarify your confusion.

• Sad 2

18 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Why not wait until the war is over before discussing such guessing as to what will happen.

• Thanks 2

57 minutes ago, Chris.B said:

Putin humiliated as Ukraine claims 409ft frigate 'sunk by missile' - ‘most important ship

The Admiral Makarov is said to have been struck by anti-ship missiles while it was in waters off the coast of Odessa.

Rescue ships and aircraft have reportedly been sent to the area and are being tracked by US surveillance drones.

"OSINTdefender", an open source intelligence monitor, tweeted: "It’s seeming more and more likely that the claims about the Russian Frigate Admiral Makarov being stuck by Ukrainian Anti-Ship Missiles off the Coast of Odessa are true.  - Express

image.png.99d4be2a569ca2c110ac3dde37913835.png

Wikipedia

Admiral Makarov in 2018
History
42px-Naval_Jack_of_Russia.svg.pngRussia
Name Admiral Makarov
Namesake Stepan Makarov
Builder Yantar Shipyard
Laid down 29 February 2012[2][3]
Launched 2 September 2015[1]
Commissioned 27 December 2017
Status Active
General characteristics
Class and type Admiral Grigorovich-class frigate
Displacement
Length 124.8 m (409 ft)
Beam 15.2 m (50 ft)
Draught 4.2 m (14 ft)
Propulsion
  • 2 shaft COGAG;
  • 2 DS-71 cruise gas turbines 8,450 shp (6,300 kW);
  • 2 DT-59 boost gas turbines 22,000 shp (16,000 kW) ;
  • Total: 60,900 shp (45,400 kW)
Speed 30 kn (56 km/h; 35 mph)
Range 4,850 nmi (8,980 km; 5,580 mi) at 14 kn (26 km/h; 16 mph)
Endurance 30 days
Complement 200
Sensors and
processing systems
  • Air search radar: Fregat M2M
  • Surface search radar: 3Ts-25 Garpun-B, MR-212/201-1, Nucleus-2 6000A
  • Fire control radar: JSC 5P-10 Puma FCS, 3R14N-11356 FCS, MR-90 Orekh SAM FCS
Electronic warfare
& decoys
  • EW Suite: TK-25-5;
  • Countermeasures:
  • 4 × KT-216
Armament
Aircraft carried 1 × Ka-27 series helicopter
Aviation facilities Helipad and hangar for one helicopter

Edited by Chris.B
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, placeholder said:

Russian warship Admiral Makarov ‘on fire after being hit by Ukrainian missile’

Russia’s Admiral Makarov warship has been hit by Ukrainian missiles and burst into flames, according to Ukrainian officials.

The frigate would be Russia’s latest naval loss in a troubled campaign, coming after reports that US intelligence helped Ukraine locate and sink the Russian warship Moskva weeks ago.

It was said to have been sailing close to Snake Island in the Black Sea south of Odesa.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/russia-ship-admiral-makarov-ukraine-war-b2073007.html

So not hearsay then ????

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

All we can do is keep our fingers crossed as it would make a lovely present for the 9th May in Russia, wonder how they will spin this one if true.....now also on BBC

Russian frigate hit by missile in Black Sea - Ukrainian report

A Russian warship, Admiral Makarov, has been hit by a Ukrainian Neptune missile in the Black Sea and has been badly damaged, according to an unconfirmed report by a local website in Odesa.

Dumskaya's report, which has been widely picked up by Ukrainian media, says the Makarov was hit near Snake Island and Russian rescue ships sailed to its assistance from Crimea.

Western defence officials said they had not seen "anything at the moment" that confirms the frigate has been hit.

https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-europe-61343815

when they do something like this, they need to have more missiles ready to welcome the rescue ships too.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, tgw said:

when they do something like this, they need to have more missiles ready to welcome the rescue ships too.

I think they are unlikely to waste expensive missiles on non military targets on a rescue mission. It wouldn't play well to the public either.

1 minute ago, ozimoron said:

I think they are unlikely to waste expensive missiles on non military targets on a rescue mission. It wouldn't play well to the public either.

It is appalling that Russian troops are killing and torturing civilians, and I personally would find it abhorrent for rescue ships of either side to be attacked whilst attempting to complete a rescue of wounded persons. .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

All we can do is keep our fingers crossed as it would make a lovely present for the 9th May in Russia, wonder how they will spin this one if true.....now also on BBC

Russian frigate hit by missile in Black Sea - Ukrainian report

A Russian warship, Admiral Makarov, has been hit by a Ukrainian Neptune missile in the Black Sea and has been badly damaged, according to an unconfirmed report by a local website in Odesa.

Dumskaya's report, which has been widely picked up by Ukrainian media, says the Makarov was hit near Snake Island and Russian rescue ships sailed to its assistance from Crimea.

Western defence officials said they had not seen "anything at the moment" that confirms the frigate has been hit.

https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-europe-61343815

The article I quoted above in the link is now missing from the BBC website or at least I can't find it anywhere. 

I've also seen no other confirmation from any officials yet? There's a very foggy video of a distant ship on fire doing the rounds on twitter but thats also impossible to say if its the Admiral Makarov

That said with all these rumours around you would also think Russia would provide a recent image video or image of the ship?

Still holding out hope for today....

22 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

The article I quoted above in the link is now missing from the BBC website or at least I can't find it anywhere. 

I've also seen no other confirmation from any officials yet? There's a very foggy video of a distant ship on fire doing the rounds on twitter but thats also impossible to say if its the Admiral Makarov

That said with all these rumours around you would also think Russia would provide a recent image video or image of the ship?

It's certainly not a sure thing. But it's very odd that the Russians don't exactly deny it. They just say that they have no information concerning the alleged attack.

40 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Found it in their archive section

https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-europe-61343815?ns_mchannel=social&ns_source=twitter&ns_campaign=bbc_live&ns_linkname=62753512c6835775caca7463%26Russian frigate hit by missile in Black Sea - Ukrainian report%262022-05-06T15%3A13%3A20.395Z&ns_fee=0&pinned_post_locator=urn:asset:66d68656-eb60-44f4-9d7b-a46418e875f7&pinned_post_asset_id=62753512c6835775caca7463&pinned_post_type=share

3 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

It is appalling that Russian troops are killing and torturing civilians, and I personally would find it abhorrent for rescue ships of either side to be attacked whilst attempting to complete a rescue of wounded persons. .

I would assume the "rescue ships" are Orc Navy ships and part of the blockade and attack on Ukraine. As such they are legitimate targets no matter what their current missions is.  ????

25 minutes ago, Chris.B said:

Italy SEIZES Putin's £570million superyacht: Luxury vessel 'owned by Russian President'

A giant superyacht said to be owned by Vladimir Putin was last night set to be seized by Italian authorities after they recommended it be impounded as part of sanctions against Russia.

Authorities in Italy said the $700 million The Scheherazade, which is more than 450ft long, and boasts spas, swimming pools and two helicopter pads was connected to a 'significant person' but did not name them.

The late night announcement came after fears grew that The Scheherazde was about to slip away and head to international waters and avoid any possible sanctions.

Scheherazade is one of the largest and most-expensive privately-owned boats in the world, coming equipped with multiple swimming pools, spas, a gym, and two helipads

The Italian government ordered on Friday the seizure of a yacht worth some $700 million that has been linked in the media to Russian President Vladimir Putin

Investigators for Putin arch-rival Alexei Navalny say the boat - which features a dancefloor that lowers to reveal a swimming pool - belongs to the Russian despot because it was almost entirely staffed by secret service agents

An Italian probe into the owner of the boat - which features huge entertaining spaces equipped with a grand piano - has yet to conclude, meaning coast guard are currently powerless to stop it from leaving

Daily Mail

Would Italy let me borrow it for a couple of weeks. ????

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, ozimoron said:

4 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

of course I mean military "rescue" ships that are armed.

called "rescue" because they to go to rescue, but are otherwise normal warships.

3 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

Yeah it would be excellent if they crippled that frigate.

Especially 2 days before the Russian victory gay parade on Monday.

If true it's quite amazing how Russia can lose two major ships in a war against a country with no Navy.

I'm glad I'm not the one that has to bring the news to Putin.....

Keep on fighting Ukraine.

Russia will lose this war they started, as long as we in the west keep delivering the hardware.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

38 minutes ago, Virt said:

Yeah it would be excellent if they crippled that frigate.

Especially 2 days before the Russian victory gay parade on Monday.

If true it's quite amazing how Russia can lose two major ships in a war against a country with no Navy.

I'm glad I'm not the one that has to bring the news to Putin.....

Keep on fighting Ukraine.

Russia will lose this war they started, as long as we in the west keep delivering the hardware.

It would be the 3rd major ship as Ukraine sunk a large landing ship in dock as well.

orsk%20reuters.JPG?itok=H5ZbLgeo

In addition there were 2 high speed coast patrol boats sunk .

WATCH: Ukraine says it destroyed and sank two Russian patrol boats in Black  Sea

Edited by Chris.B
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

Would Italy let me borrow it for a couple of weeks. ????

If you did you would have to bring your own Beer Chang as I can't see them serving it in that lounge.  ????

An Italian probe into the owner of the boat - which features huge entertaining spaces equipped with a grand piano - has yet to conclude, meaning coast guard are currently powerless to stop it from leaving

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Chris.B said:

It would be the 3rd major ship as Ukraine sunk a large landing ship in dock as well.

orsk%20reuters.JPG?itok=H5ZbLgeo

In addition there were 2 high speed coast patrol boats sunk .

Yeah i know about that one. I just didn't think about that as a major ship ????

I hope there are some official news soon. It would be a good start on a Saturday if Ukraine managed to damage that missile frigate.

Didn't UK shipped some anti ship missile systems to Ukraine as well?

That would be a nice supplement to the Neptunes.

Hopefully this war is over within a month, when the Russians realize they are fighting a lost war.

I met a Ukrainian refugee couple last week that couldn't get back home and they showed me pictures of their bomb shelled home that was destroyed.

When meeting such people in person, the reality moves closer.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Virt said:

Yeah i know about that one. I just didn't think about that as a major ship ????

I hope there are some official news soon. It would be a good start on a Saturday if Ukraine managed to damage that missile frigate.

Didn't UK shipped some anti ship missile systems to Ukraine as well?

That would be a nice supplement to the Neptunes.

Hopefully this war is over within a month, when the Russians realize they are fighting a lost war.

I met a Ukrainian refugee couple last week that couldn't get back home and they showed me pictures of their bomb shelled home that was destroyed.

When meeting such people in person, the reality moves closer.

"The Russian landing ship can hold twenty main battle tanks or up to forty other armored vehicles that could support operations in Ukraine."

• Thanks 1