Assault on Kiev: Russian helicopters swoop above Ukraine's capital

Chris.B

MINSK, Belarus (AP) — Belarus’ authoritarian President Alexander Lukashenko defended Russia’s invasion of Ukraine in an interview Thursday with The Associated Press, but he said he didn’t expect the 10-week-old conflict to “drag on this way.”

https://apnews.com/article/belarus-alexander-lukashenko-ap-interview-9bc1f6524eb65841b924883705684b7f

I expect Lukashenko can expect an angry phone call and a good talking to from his good buddy Putin  very shorty.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, rudi49jr said:

MINSK, Belarus (AP) — Belarus’ authoritarian President Alexander Lukashenko defended Russia’s invasion of Ukraine in an interview Thursday with The Associated Press, but he said he didn’t expect the 10-week-old conflict to “drag on this way.”

https://apnews.com/article/belarus-alexander-lukashenko-ap-interview-9bc1f6524eb65841b924883705684b7f

I expect Lukashenko can expect an angry phone call and a good talking to from his good buddy Putin  very shorty.

He finally got the memo from Zelensky ????

Lukashenko: If There Is A War With Ukraine, It Will Last 3-4 Days

Lukashenko downplayed the prospect of war in Ukraine, and that if it occurred would only last 3-4 days and that their weak president, Zelensky, would run away. As the war enters its third month, Ukrainians, ever adept at social media, sent this reminder of what he said on Russian state television.

6 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Because that's what he calls it, can't you understand why.

it's an insignificant technicality. the war has been on since 2014. that is the point you are making, it has no significance.
what is significant is Putin's insistance on not calling whatever he is doing a war and the propension of his supporters to support his view and his terminology of choice in his bad faith.

Putin is a liar, always has been, but the West didn't take him seriously.

The Guardian's article sums it up nicely, there are a few of Putin's big lies listed there.

Edited by tgw
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, tgw said:

look, what you think to know about another "side of the story" really just is Kremlin propaganda.

For over 100 years, Ruzzia has done countless bad things to Ukraine.

Every time, the excuse was "safeguarding Ruzzian interests" or Ruzzian security. Every time.

I was in Ukraine before the Orange Revolution.

People in the West asked me which way it will go.

I always replied "there is no way in hell Ukrainians will let Ruzzia take democracy and freedom away from them again".

You have the opportunity to put "both sides of the the story" side by side:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/apr/09/understanding-vladimir-putin-the-man-who-fooled-the-world

vs.

http://en.kremlin.ru/events/president/news/66181

also read https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ukraine

to put everything of the above in context (although the Wiki on Ukraine doesn't list all crimes Ruzzia committed to keep Ukraine under its boot).

Yes that side of the story is credible and also very sad.

• Thanks 1

Well done Vlad !

Sounds like a big win for Ruzzia, that should show them NATOes !

https://edition.cnn.com/europe/live-news/russia-ukraine-war-news-05-05-22/index.html

Finland’s decision on NATO membership expected to be "much clearer" by mid-May, says senior Western diplomat

Citing multiple opinion polls, the source said that at least 60% of Finns are now in favor of NATO membership, which “are really historic numbers because for 30 years in Finland, the support for joining NATO has been between 20 and 30% at most.”

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, tgw said:

it's an insignificant technicality. the war has been on since 2014. that is the point you are making, it has no significance.
what is significant is Putin's insistance on not calling whatever he is doing a war and the propension of his supporters to support his view and his terminology.

Well its significant to Putin there' no denying that.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Because that's what he calls it, can't you understand why.

I understand he calls it that. I understand why people living in Russia under threat of 15 years prison call it that. I don't understand why you call it that. Based on your obtuse reply above perhaps you don't want to say. Your right.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

16 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I understand he calls it that. I understand why people living in Russia under threat of 15 years prison calls it that. I don't understand why you call it that. Based on your obtuse reply above perhaps you don't want to say. Your right.

I have an idea.

Selling rotten eggs painted blue and yellow, in ergonomic anti-shock boxes, also blue and yellow, for easy transport and quick availability when needed.

"Freedom Eggs". Non-edible. Use wisely.

Boxes made 100% from recycled materials and past date eggs that could not be sold in stores, and then stored at 26°C-28°C for about 6-7 weeks.

20% of proceeds (or more if possible) paid to support Ukraine.

it's an item for which I feel an almost irrepressible need when seeing people walking around with a Z, Ruzzian-themed clothes or flags.

I'd say it's a first necessity good.

Edited by tgw
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Looking at it from a history point of view and way Russia has been treated no the west is to blame IMHO.

I just hope the war will stop before there is a possible greater escalation.

How is the west to blame?

Don't repeat the NATO expansion nonsense.  Russia drove its neighbors to seek a defensive alliance for their own protection.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

U.S. Intelligence Is Helping Ukraine Kill Russian Generals, Officials Say

WASHINGTON — The United States has provided intelligence about Russian units that has allowed Ukrainians to target and kill many of the Russian generals who have died in action in the Ukraine war, according to senior American officials.

Ukrainian officials said they have killed approximately 12 generals on the front lines, a number that has astonished military analysts.

The targeting help is part of a classified effort by the Biden administration to provide real-time battlefield intelligence to Ukraine.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/05/04/us/politics/russia-generals-killed-ukraine.html

A little misleading.  The US is providing intelligence to Ukraine.  What the Ukraine leadership decides to do with it is their call.

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, rudi49jr said:

Oh no!  He deviated from the "Everything is going according to plan" script.

4 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

No-one wants to hear both sides of story it started way back beyond the start of the Russian special mission.

Yes, it started when Putin undermined democracy in Russia, turned over the economy to crony capitalism, and started looking for foreign enemies to distract the Russian people from his appalling crimes.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, tgw said:

some here gloated about how long it would take for Germany to get the ball rolling with its two maritime Gas terminals...

here, Ruzzia, watch and cry about your pathetic blackmail attempt.

soon you will be selling gas and oil only to other pariah states in exchange for a handful of propaganda retweets by their presidents.

https://edition.cnn.com/europe/live-news/russia-ukraine-war-news-05-05-22/index.html

Germany starts construction of liquified natural gas terminals in effort to shake off Russia oil

"We have a good chance to do what is actually normally impossible in Germany: To build an LNG terminal within about 10 months, and to connect it to the German gas supply," Germany's Vice Chancellor and Economy Minister Robert Habeck said while watching the start of the construction work for the LNG terminal aboard a ship. 

As we say in German: where is a will, there is a way

I am one of those who thought it would take years.  I'll be very happy to be proven wrong.

Keep it coming ????

U.S. intel helped Ukraine sink Russian flagship Moskva, officials say
The flagship of Russia’s Black Sea Fleet sank on April 14 after being struck by two Ukrainian Neptune anti-ship missiles, according to U.S. officials.

Intelligence shared by the U.S. helped Ukraine sink the Russian cruiser Moskva, U.S. officials told NBC News, confirming an American role in perhaps the most embarrassing blow to Vladimir Putin’s troubled invasion of Ukraine.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/national-security/us-intel-helped-ukraine-sink-russian-flagship-moskva-officials-say-rcna27559

They can't help themselves with the nuclear threat rhetoric, if they were doing well this wouldn't be mentioned.

Russia Ambassador to U.S. Says NATO Not Taking Nuclear War Threat Seriously

Russia's envoy to the United States has told Newsweek that leaders of the U.S.-led NATO military alliance do not grasp the true gravity of a potential nuclear conflict erupting, as a tense war of words among powers looms over the ongoing fighting in Ukraine.

https://www.newsweek.com/russia-ambassador-us-says-nato-not-taking-nuclear-war-threat-seriously-1703968?piano_t=1

5 hours ago, heybruce said:

A little misleading.  The US is providing intelligence to Ukraine.  What the Ukraine leadership decides to do with it is their call.

If they use the US provided intelligence to kill Russian Generals then how is the title misleading?

The US has provided intelligence that has helped the Ukrainians.

More please.

1 hour ago, Chomper Higgot said:

If they use the US provided intelligence to kill Russian Generals then how is the title misleading?

The US has provided intelligence that has helped the Ukrainians.

More please.

I'm not criticizing or objecting to the result.  I just pointed out that the title "U.S. Intelligence Is Helping Ukraine Kill Russian Generals, Officials Say" implies that specific intelligence for the purpose of killing Russian generals is being provided.  That would be acceptable, but I don't think that accurately reflects the nature of the intelligence provided and degree of US involvement in how it is used.

The US is providing intelligence about Russian military locations and movements in Ukraine, and probably other stuff as well.  Ukraine decides what to do with it from that point on.

Edit:  Shortly after posting the above I came across this:

"The headline of this story is misleading and the way it is framed is irresponsible. The United States provides battlefield intelligence to help the Ukrainians defend their country. We do not provide intelligence with the intent to kill Russian generals,"

"Officials say it is correct, as reported by the Times, that the Ukrainians are able to combine what they learn from the U.S. with their own intelligence to then target Russian leaders. But they emphasized that the U.S. does not play a direct role in targeting individuals on the battlefield."   https://www.yahoo.com/gma/us-officials-push-back-report-220500160.html

Edited by heybruce
  • Like 2

Pentagon says Russia's attempts to hit Western weapons flowing into Ukraine having 'no impact'

A senior Pentagon official said Wednesday that despite Russia's efforts, "there's been no impact to our ability to continue flows into Ukraine. We've seen no indications that any of this Western aid has been impeded or even struck."

"There's no indication at all that there's a Russian impediment to the flow" of U.S. arms to Ukraine, the Pentagon official said. "Our focus is on getting it to them. Their focus is on getting it into the fight and using it. And that's happening."

https://theweek.com/russo-ukrainian-war/1013265/pentagon-says-russias-attempts-to-hit-western-weapons-flowing-into

• Like 2