Assault on Kiev: Russian helicopters swoop above Ukraine's capital

Chris.B

2 minutes ago, tgw said:

the saboteurs change into Ukrainian uniforms.

in the story related on the Ukrainian's MoD facebook site, they say "Ukrainian" soldiers went to an emergency services post and demanded to change into Police and Firefighter uniforms, briefly showed some ID but refused to let people examine their ID in detail.
So the people there became suspicious and called the police instead.

I guess the Russians wearing Ukrainian uniforms were increasingly questioned about their identity as soldiers and plan B seems to be changing into civilian uniforms.

And this is in complete contravention of the Geneva Convention.

Putin doesn't care about any rules.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

As a general rule, and I’m not defending Russia here, I would take all reports of breaches of the Geneva convention (from either side)  with a pinch of salt unless backed up with solid evidence.

The invasion of a sovereign nation is in itself crime enough.

Along with missile attack on child care centre

3 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

Along with missile attack on child care centre

I count this under normal collateral damage in a war. I guess Ukrainians fight as they can, and it's possible Russians tried to hit a mobile air defense unit that was in the vicinity of the Kindergarden and the missile had a guidance problem. I guess it was probably an accident, Russians are not known to intendedly kill children.

25 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

If your only point of difference between Hitler and Putin is nuclear weapons, I'd say the comparison is valid.

Hitler called it Lebensraum, no doubt Putin has a similar justification.

I really do wonder about someone who defends a dictator with a track record of poisoning his opponents, and taking 50% of the wealth of the Russian oligarchs in return for their continued liberty.

Putin is a thief and a murderer. The invasion of another country is simply theft writ large.

You forgot shooting down a civilian airliner.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, tgw said:

I count this under normal collateral damage in a war. I guess Ukrainians fight as they can, and it's possible Russians tried to hit a mobile air defense unit that was in the vicinity of the Kindergarden and the missile had a guidance problem. I guess it was probably an accident, Russians are not known to intendedly kill children.

They are now. Missiles are guided, they don't miss.

Edited by ozimoron

9 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Is he destined to be a martyr for Ukraine?

In any event, used to be a comedian or not, he's a REAL great leader as opposed to the evil dictator in Moscow.

Oh no!

I read today that the USA is planning to help him evacuate at the last moment.

I find that hard to believe though. How can the USA do that with US soldiers on the ground and nobody wants a direct conflict between two nuclear powers.

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

Oh no!

I read today that the USA is planning to help him evacuate at the last moment.

I find that hard to believe though. How can the USA do that with US soldiers on the ground and nobody wants a direct conflict between two nuclear powers.

that's easy to answer: the US will use operatives that don't hold US citizenship.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, tgw said:

I hope Ukrainian defenders took positions in all buildings in Kiev and are armed to the teeth with antitank weapons.

In any case the end of this battle is known. Russia will install a puppet government  What is not known yet is whether they will even  bother trying to defeat the rest of that large country and what will happen with the resistance 

3 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

In any case the end of this battle is known. Russia will install a puppet government  What is not known yet is whether they will even  bother trying to defeat the rest of that large country and what will happen with the resistance 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/sebastienroblin/2022/01/25/the-uk-airmailed-2000-nlaw-missiles-to-ukraine-are-they-useful/?sh=294fb2074170

reports today of at least a tank destroyed in Kyiv using NLAW:

https://edition.cnn.com/europe/live-news/ukraine-russia-news-02-25-22/index.html

Let's hope the fight in Kyiv is way more difficult than the Russians expect.

I think if the Russians take over Kyiv and if they imprison or kill current leaders and proclaim a new government, recognition of it, everywhere in the world and especially within Ukraine will be zero.

I don't expect the Ukrainian military to lay down arms with the fall of Kyiv.

There are a high number of deputy ministers for everything, and the current government power will go to other people, probably located in Lviv and Russia will have no other choice than assaulting Lviv too.

Edited by tgw
  • Like 1

on a more humoristic note, if that's possible, the Ministry of Defense of Ukraine posted today:

❗️After heavy battles and significant losses, the Russian invaders stopped near Konotop. Message Сухопутні війська ЗС України .
Russian-fascist gourd have a problem with fuel and supply. Tankists walk with canisters and try to buy fuel. Soldiers of the occupation forces demand food from the local population. Cases of looting of trade institutions on the side of Russian occupiers have been recorded.
On the outskirts of the town there are about 40 units of burnt Russian equipment.
You can help invaders fuel with sugar.
Regarding the food of Russian soldiers, we do not give recommendations. You know everything yourself.

https://www.facebook.com/MinistryofDefence.UA/posts/264282702550856

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, tgw said:

on a more humoristic note, if that's possible, the Ministry of Defense of Ukraine posted today:

https://www.facebook.com/MinistryofDefence.UA/posts/264282702550856

I wonder what the Russian government have told their troops.  That they will be welcomed with open arms, or to expect the local population to fight to the death?

The Ukrainian general staff have just posted the latest estimate of Russian losses:

The estimated losses of the enemy are: aircraft - 14 units, helicopters - 8 units, tanks - 102 units, BBM - 536 units, guns - 15 units, SAM BUK-1 unit. More than 3,500 Russian occupiers were killed and nearly 200 were taken prisoner.

https://www.facebook.com/GeneralStaff.ua/posts/259492119697207

Edited by tgw
  • Like 2

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky turned down an offer by Washington to help evacuate him from Ukraine, US media outlets say.

Mr Zelensky said "the fight is here. I need ammunition, not a ride", the Associated Press reported, citing a senior intelligence official with direct knowledge of the conversation.

The Washington Post had also quoted US and Ukrainian officials who said that the US government was prepared to help Mr Zelensky.

Mr Zelensky has been widely praised on social media for his response to the Russian invasion. The former comedian and actor had earlier given a moving speech in which he vowed to keep fighting, saying: "When you attack us, you will see our faces. Not our backs."

BBC source

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

If your only point of difference between Hitler and Putin is nuclear weapons, I'd say the comparison is valid.

Hitler called it Lebensraum, no doubt Putin has a similar justification.

I really do wonder about someone who defends a dictator with a track record of poisoning his opponents, and taking 50% of the wealth of the Russian oligarchs in return for their continued liberty.

Putin is a thief and a murderer. The invasion of another country is simply theft writ large.

Well Russia has been banned from taking part in the European song contest.

I still think the Ukraine president is irresponsible telling his people to fight I think it's pointless against the inward forces of the likes of Russia they have no chance.

France 24 seems to be having quite a balanced report on the situation.

3 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Well Russia has been banned from taking part in the European song contest.

I still think the Ukraine president is irresponsible telling his people to fight I think it's pointless against the inward forces of the likes of Russia they have no chance.

actually, I am impressed how the Ukraine military has resisted so far.

the Russians still have taken none of the major cities, and have been repelled from taking strategic objectives as far as I know.

France is sending help to Ukraine in the form of MMP missiles and other defensive weapons.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

and France24's analyst who is currently speaking on air shakes his head and wonders how Putin can think that a war on Ukraine will succeed in turning away Ukraine from its path towards the West and the EU, says Russian military must rethink its strategy because it's not progressing fast enough.

• Like 1

The speech putin gave in 2007 should have been a wake up call to the world

And now he is acting like a madman we need to be careful and fear not his army but his nukes he may use if his force get bogged down defeat unlikely, but would happen if a no fly zone was imposed.

He lost 2 paratroop transporters yesterday that will hurt him dearly

Opinion | The Speech In Which Putin Told Us Who He Was

In his 2007 Munich address, the Russian leader firmly rejected the post-Cold War system he's still trying to torpedo.

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2022/02/18/putin-speech-wake-up-call-post-cold-war-order-liberal-2007-00009918

8 minutes ago, tgw said:

actually, I am impressed how the Ukraine military has resisted so far.

the Russians still have taken none of the major cities, and have been repelled from taking strategic objectives as far as I know.

France is sending help to Ukraine in the form of MMP missiles and other defensive weapons.

All I will say is have a look at France 24 news it gives a reason look at the situation.

Gulliver Craig reportin a fair way.

RT news obvious is reporting it's own views which are always dismissed as untrue. 

Al Jazeera reporting news with a lot of if and buts and what's about Ukraine putting up a good fight. 

8 minutes ago, tomyami said:

The speech putin gave in 2007 should have been a wake up call to the world

And now he is acting like a madman we need to be careful and fear not his army but his nukes he may use if his force get bogged down defeat unlikely, but would happen if a no fly zone was imposed.

He lost 2 paratroop transporters yesterday that will hurt him dearly

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2022/02/18/putin-speech-wake-up-call-post-cold-war-order-liberal-2007-00009918

It's basically a war but a one-sided one because Ukraine cannot last long against a superior force.

A say thing I just heard is that they are letting out women and children out of Ukraine but may be stopping 16 to 18 year old boys doing so as they may be called up to fight, how crazy is that this day and age. 

6 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

It's basically a war but a one-sided one because Ukraine cannot last long against a superior force.

A say thing I just heard is that they are letting out women and children out of Ukraine but may be stopping 16 to 18 year old boys doing so as they may be called up to fight, how crazy is that this day and age. 

How old do you think the Russians invading the Ukraine are? From what I have seen, their ages are not much older.

Old men send young men to wars to die, that's how it has been forever.