What is the good news about living in Thailand now?

webfact

8 hours ago, daveAustin said:

Thai strawberries are tiny and goppin.

With respect, when in season, fresh Thai strawberries from Lanna are absolutely delicious - they are big and juicy! Many stalls alongside roads sell them in various sized punnets, in particular route 11 into Chiang Mai and route 1 into Mae Sai. There are some locations on route 118 between Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai where you can "pick your own". Strawberries are also grown in Isaan. For me, one of the pleasures when I lived in Northern Thailand. When in season, I could also buy fresh plums.

Picking Strawberry Organic Strawberry Thailand Mountain Stock Photo (Edit  Now) 1298570593

https://www.shutterstock.com/image-photo/picking-strawberry-organic-thailand-mountain-mon-1298570593

• Like 1

7 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Where in Thailand can you get strawberries like this?

From my experience when I lived in LOS, in Lanna and Isaan. When in season, fresh large and juicy Thai strawberries could be bought in various sized punnets from stalls alongside many roads, in particular route 11 into Chiang Mai and route 1 into Mae Sai (where stalls were adjacent to acres of strawberry fields). There were some "pick your own" farms on route 118 between Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai.

Picking Strawberry Organic Strawberry Thailand Mountain Stock Photo (Edit  Now) 1298570593

https://www.shutterstock.com/image-photo/picking-strawberry-organic-thailand-mountain-mon-1298570593

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

It appears strawberries have become the default "quality of life" indicator.

I remember the good old days when it was hookers and beer.

It's all these arrivistes, what do you do with them eh.? 

22 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Overly simplistic, and nothing but sheer jingoism. Trump started this hyper inflationary cycle when he declared a trade war on China and Huawei. They sensed sanctions coming and went out and cornered the world market on rare earth. Companies started ramping down production due to Covid. When they started to order these elements, none were to be found or the price had skyrocketed. It started a massive supply chain issue with circuits, motherboards, cell phone, computer and automotive components. Then the shipping issues came later. 

Few want to look back at where this started. At the time I said it was the single dumbest thing a politician had done since Chamberlain denied the bad intentions of the Nazis. Trump created hyper inflation, singlehandedly. Thanks, Don. 

And you have a degree in Economics?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jerno said:

Yes, fresh fruit is an accurate proxy for a country's livability.  It's middle of winter in Canada right now, not exactly fresh fruit season. Idiot.  And living in Canada right now is just dandy, thank you very much. Obviously you have no clue in what you are saying.  Sheesh! 

He does know what he is saying.

Did you read the thread title?

Sorry but I couldn't find Canada in the thread title.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Overly simplistic, and nothing but sheer jingoism. Trump started this hyper inflationary cycle when he declared a trade war on China and Huawei. They sensed sanctions coming and went out and cornered the world market on rare earth. Companies started ramping down production due to Covid. When they started to order these elements, none were to be found or the price had skyrocketed. It started a massive supply chain issue with circuits, motherboards, cell phone, computer and automotive components. Then the shipping issues came later. 

Few want to look back at where this started. At the time I said it was the single dumbest thing a politician had done since Chamberlain denied the bad intentions of the Nazis. Trump created hyper inflation, singlehandedly. 

Covid deaths under Biden higher too even with vaccines

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I find Thai strawberries almost as inedible (small/hard/white/bitter) as Thai bananas (short/fat/sickly sweet). Your standards must be considerably different to mine.

Thai fruit just isn't all that good IMHO.

I hardly eat any.

I eat any 2 out of 5, Thai melons, bananas, mango's, pineapple and strawberries and I thoroughly enjoy them.

Just now, Nemises said:

Got a photo showing what you pay for oil? …..didn't think so!

Why do you address a question to me and then answer it yourself?

Anyhow, don't need pictures, I can remember.... 

There has been a jump in prices, but some still offering 200 in Pattaya area.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, billd766 said:

He does know what he is saying.

Did you read the thread title?

Sorry but I couldn't find Canada in the thread title.

He needs to dilute more with Canada Dry 

7 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I find Thai strawberries almost as inedible (small/hard/white/bitter) as Thai bananas (short/fat/sickly sweet). Your standards must be considerably different to mine.

Thai fruit just isn't all that good IMHO.

I hardly eat any.

Re.: Strawberries: You buy the wrong stuff - they used to be as you say but now wonderful (and my standards are high) strawberries are available on markets.

Re.: Bananas: We get medium sized bananas directly from private gardens which are the best you can imagine. Light years apart from every other standard from Supermarkets here or what you get internationally from the 2 giant banana producers.

Re.: Rest of the fruits available here: Thailand has a very large variety of Mangoes, but again, you need to find the one variety that you like. I do not like overly sweet ones. And unfortunately a number of favourites are missing (like Rasberries, black Cherries etc.). If you are willing to spend a few bucks more than Thailand provides a pecularity: They import at ridiculous prices, but the quality they get then is extraordinary. TOPS sells the best white grapes (from California) I ever had in my life, they offer a  lot of special apples (Japanese) and even pears that are edible. But prices are really high then.

What disappoints me here too are the cantaloupe melons - not sweet enough. Watermelons are good and reasonably cheap. As are gooseberries if they are in season. Recently they started to import very good Blueberries (the best are available from Big C Extra). Again a better quality than they used to sell in Switzerland (for high prices).

Sometimes it's just the little things in life:

Today my wife and I went to Homepro to buy some new bed pillows.  Three sales girls helped my wife and 2 helped me.   Took a wide variety of pillows out of their bags, invited us to lie down on one of their display beds and test each out.  My wife tested close to ten, me about 5.  No rush, plenty of time to try each out.

Then lunch in the S&P-like restaurant in Homepro.  A big dish of seafood with noodles for my wife, my with cashew chicken and rice, and a big plate of pak bung fai daeng with rice.....a lemon drink for me and a water for my wife, topped off with a durian ice-pop.....320 Baht.

Oh, and it was 13C in the jungle today.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, moogradod said:

So it is a question of knowing where to buy the right stuff only.

Thanks for all your strawberry comments, I appreciate them.

I go regularly to Klong Toey fresh market, which is, as far as I know, one of the biggest markets in Bangkok. They have strawberries but mostly they are half white...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Thanks for all your strawberry comments, I appreciate them.

I go regularly to Klong Toey fresh market, which is, as far as I know, one of the biggest markets in Bangkok. They have strawberries but mostly they are half white...

My wife gets the superb ones in Sattahip. Maybe a bit far for a shopping trip for you ???? - but you have wonderful shops in BKK, too ! Forget the half white hard sour ones ! The real thing exists !

45 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Why do you address a question to me and then answer it yourself?

Anyhow, don't need pictures, I can remember.... 

There has been a jump in prices, but some still offering 200 in Pattaya area.

Talk is cheap.

Pics or it didn’t happen. 

Edited by Nemises

2 hours ago, sirineou said:

The good news is that with all the chemical pesticides found in the wonderful Thai fruits and vegetables that you ingest, you will never be eaten by bugs.  

Funny thing, I have been exposed to pesticides, herbicides, vaccines and plasticisers for 78 years, and I am still posting in good health.

I haven't grown two heads, although I do think with a GF 23 years younger than me I could use an extra testicle.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Covid deaths under Biden higher too even with vaccines

Not sure how meaningful that nunber is. 

What may be more relevant? 

Just as a disparity along political lines exists when it comes to getting vaccinated against COVID-19, partisan divides are apparent in relation to deaths from the disease as well. 

A U.S. News analysis of COVID-19 data from USAFacts alongside voting results from the 2020 presidential race shows that counties where former President Donald Trump received the most votes by a massive margin have a 52% higher death rate over the course of the pandemic than counties where President Joe Biden won in a relative landslide.

https://www.usnews.com/news/health-news/articles/2022-02-03/counties-that-voted-for-trump-have-higher-covid-death-rates

• Like 1
  • Haha 1