What is the good news about living in Thailand now?

webfact

5 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Not sure how meaningful that nunber is. 

What may be more relevant? 

Just as a disparity along political lines exists when it comes to getting vaccinated against COVID-19, partisan divides are apparent in relation to deaths from the disease as well. 

A U.S. News analysis of COVID-19 data from USAFacts alongside voting results from the 2020 presidential race shows that counties where former President Donald Trump received the most votes by a massive margin have a 52% higher death rate over the course of the pandemic than counties where President Joe Biden won in a relative landslide.

https://www.usnews.com/news/health-news/articles/2022-02-03/counties-that-voted-for-trump-have-higher-covid-death-rates

Obesity

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

. They sensed sanctions coming and went out and cornered the world market on rare earth.

Rare earths are not rare , they can be found in most countries. The big difference is the CCP is willing to allow the environmental and human cost of mining and processing highly toxic materials. Google Lynas Corporation, it is sitting on the world's richest known deposit of rare earths in Western Australia. The Pentagon has bought up a significant amount of forward production.

Supply chains are a two-edged sword, many nations are re-assessing their dependence on China and reviving the manufacturing capabilities they let slide.

Edited by Lacessit
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

Overly simplistic, and nothing but sheer jingoism. Trump started this hyper inflationary cycle when he declared a trade war on China and Huawei. They sensed sanctions coming and went out and cornered the world market on rare earth. Companies started ramping down production due to Covid. When they started to order these elements, none were to be found or the price had skyrocketed. It started a massive supply chain issue with circuits, motherboards, cell phone, computer and automotive components. Then the shipping issues came later. 

Few want to look back at where this started. At the time I said it was the single dumbest thing a politician had done since Chamberlain denied the bad intentions of the Nazis. Trump created hyper inflation, singlehandedly. Thanks, Don. 

Rare earth conspiracy rant and anti trump polemic.lol

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Covid death rate is 12 X higher in USA when compared to Thailand and probably the highest death rate globally, with blue state Maine taking top prize for covid death rate.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2021/us/covid-cases.html?name=styln-coronavirus&region=TOP_BANNER&block=storyline_menu_recirc&action=click&pgtype=Interactive&variant=0_Control&is_new=false

Much less violent crimes in Thailand so much safer to live there.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cherrytreeview said:

Rising inflation, strengtening baht, frozen UK state pension and a never ending cycle of cheaper places to rent as your savings are eroded.

None of my pensions are frozen.

I have more income now than I've had since 2001 when I stopped working.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, cocochubb said:

Covid death rate is 12 X higher in USA when compared to Thailand and probably the highest death rate globally under Biden, but he recently quit, and handed off responsibility for covid to the states, with blue state Maine taking top prize for covid death rate.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2021/us/covid-cases.html?name=styln-coronavirus&region=TOP_BANNER&block=storyline_menu_recirc&action=click&pgtype=Interactive&variant=0_Control&is_new=false

Much less violent crimes in Thailand so much safer to live there.

Agree with most of your points.  But US death rate in question because of comorbidity. Plus extra compensations to hospitals for Covid cases.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Isaan sailor said:

Agree with most of your points.  But US death rate in question because of comorbidity. Plus extra compensations to hospitals for Covid cases.

I incorrectly quoted their death rate global standing: there are some 27 countries with higher covid death rate than the US.

My understanding in reference to your comment re compensation: suggests there is monetary incentive to mis-classify hospital records. I would add there may be additional manipulation of covid hospital data for which CDC is suspect.

Recently, in the WaPO they commented on deaths, hospitalization, infections are increasing in triple vaccinated (booster dose).

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/interactive/2022/vaccine-protection-was-much-weaker-against-omicron-cdc-data-shows/

Edited by cocochubb

3 hours ago, Cherrytreeview said:

Let's see how Thailand works out for you when you can't get insurance over 70.

I am over 70 ... and the money I save not paying for Medicare Part B in US (OPD) practically covers my healthcare (IPD only) in Thailand

Edited by jerrymahoney

9 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I agree with most of what you write. But strawberries in Thailand are just not what strawberries are supposed to be.

Where in Thailand can you get strawberries like this?

erdbeeren-erdbeerzeit-cc0pixabaymaxmann-

Indeed, And strawberries in Thailand have no taste,... compared to those I buy in Belgium or France !!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Thanks for all your strawberry comments, I appreciate them.

I go regularly to Klong Toey fresh market, which is, as far as I know, one of the biggest markets in Bangkok. They have strawberries but mostly they are half white...

I only buy strawberries that are completely red, I suppose it gets difficult if one is color-blind.

13 hours ago, NanaSomchai said:

Good news is my kids are safe in their issan village watching their lives go by.

Instead of being subject to grooming gangs roaming freely across the UK and the rest of Europe.

Some might argue there’s a more widespread and insidious "grooming" via the education system and social conditioning. 

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, daveAustin said:

Hardly a plus. Thai strawberries are tiny and goppin. Big red juicy English strawberries can’t be beat. 
For sure, Thailand is better than some other places but with a big dark cloud over it in the form of an autocratic gov… not far off tyrant. Putin. 

12 hours ago, HappyExpat57 said:

Compared to my home country - cheap rent, cheap utilities, cheap food, GREAT weather, plenty of companionship for rent available, a 90-day online reporting system that FINALLY works well. What's not to love?

Don't you see the "big dark cloud over it" that many others are seeing?