Family of South African jailed in Thailand remain hopeful

webfact

16 hours ago, chang1 said:

There must be a bit more to this than just a signature. 

She must have known what her boyfriend was upto and what work was she doing? 

Seems odd that the appeal court will not allow any new evidence to be considered. So even if there is video evidence of her boyfriend forging her signature when accepting the package, that proves her innocence beyond doubt, only the original evidence will be looked at.

You've not heard the thousands of stories of partners leading secret lives on the side, be it drugs or just cheating? I am not a lawbreaker, nor a cheater, but there are certain elements of my personal finances that I would not discuss with a girlfriend, or a wife. Lots of good reasons for that. I just think it's probably a sad case of misplaced trust or stupidity with tragic results, but that's only my guess, since no one actually knows except her and her ex. 

3 hours ago, steven100 said:

it has everything to do with knowing right from wrong ....  please explain what part of wrong don't you understand

Right and wrong are subjective.

The law simply lays out rules along the lines of one version of right and wrong.

The law should not be confused with right and wrong.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BKKTRAVELER said:

Many suspicions, but how did the boyfriend get a free pass? Let's start with that.

When this one first did the rounds (in a news article I cannot find at the moment) she admitted to trafficking and took police to her house and showed them 4 more packages.

• Like 2

Hard to say how much, if anything, she knew about the bf’s drug smuggling enterprise from the information available. Maybe she knew something because it had been going on for a while but maybe not. Thai courts anyway still happy to convict on confessions suspects can’t read extracted under torture or duress after the 2B case.

The bf knew the scheme was blown after the package was found at the school and the other teacher implicated, although his case was whitewashed to save school reputation which is now in tatters anyway. The police must have known Ashley was the gf of Nettles and that the biscuit shop was his. He continued with the scheme trying to scrape the last bucks out of it, putting her at risk, knowing the cops were in to them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

When this one first did the rounds (in a news article I cannot find at the moment) she admitted to trafficking and took police to her house and showed them 4 more packages.

That might explain why she first got a death sentence. It does seem to me something is missing from the story.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Dogmatix said:

That might explain why she first got a death sentence. It does seem to me something is missing from the story.

I think it was an auto death sentence for trafficking but the admission of guilt got it commuted to life.

• Like 1

On 2/26/2022 at 7:38 AM, Leadidge said:
On 2/26/2022 at 5:16 AM, SAFETY FIRST said:

She looks a good sort, too bad she's an idiot. 

What makes her an idiot? Signing for a delivery is a completely normal thing to do.

Did you not read the article 

She was locked up in Thailand for selling drugs 

She's an Idiot.

My comment is that there are better ways to make a dollar. 

Plenty of guys here cashed up and looking for a bit of harmless fun. 

Selling drugs destroys lives. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ralf001 said:

Has it been made public who's name was on the delivery ?

As per freeashley.org - there is a screenshot showing the parcel and the addressee was Dave Rensburg.

22 hours ago, PremiumLane said:
On 2/26/2022 at 5:16 AM, SAFETY FIRST said:

She looks a good sort, too bad she's an idiot. 

She should've dumped the bf and advertised herself on Thaifriendly, Tinder etc.

Lots of money to be made, going by the conversations I've had with the young ladies I've supported over the many years. 

I'm seeing more and more female foreigners on these sites making a living. 

Serious question, were you high when you wrote that? I mean, what the hell are you blathering about?

Sorry to read that English is not your first language. 

Try Google translate, I've heard it works well for you non English speakers. 

• Haha 1

On 2/26/2022 at 3:24 AM, webfact said:

CAPE TOWN - The mother of Ashley Oosthuizen, who is facing life imprisonment in Thailand for alleged international drug trafficking, says the family is overwhelmed by the support they have been receiving from the public.

Since news of Ashley’s imprisonment broke, her mother, Lynn Blignaut, said messages of support and encouragement had been flowing in.

“Everybody has been amazing with their support and their messages of encouragement. I stand in awe to see all the positive reactions, it shows that so many people actually really do care,” she said.

The drug users care...and are sending messages of support. 

• Haha 2

On 2/26/2022 at 11:31 AM, Bezdomny said:

Even if she is guilty nobody deserves life sentence for drugs.

We are all entitled to our opinions and your comment is just that.

By the way, she didn't get a life sentence just "for drugs", as lovely as you try to make the trade sound, she got it for trafficking.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Like 1

On 2/26/2022 at 12:20 PM, Enoon said:
On 2/26/2022 at 11:41 AM, clivebaxter said:

So why get involved in drugs where the sentence is often life?

What she got "involved" with was signing for a parcel.

Which in most countries does not get you a prison sentence.

What she got involved  with, voluntarily, via her drug-dealer boyfriend was drug trafficking which in every country gets a prison sentence.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

By the way, she didn't get a life sentence just "for drugs", as lovely as you try to make the trade sound, she got it for trafficking.

Drug companies make billions doing that

• Sad 1

16 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Yes. The sentence was for importing a sizeable quantity of a class 1 drug. Perhaps she got the death penalty at first because she withdrew her confession and plead not guilty. A guilty plea, confession and cooperation would normally only get the death penalty in an heinous crime where the suspect’s cooperation was of no use.  No information is provided about the trial, the charges or defense, if she pleaded not guilty. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Did you not read the article 

She was locked up in Thailand for selling drugs 

She's an Idiot.

My comment is that there are better ways to make a dollar. 

Plenty of guys here cashed up and looking for a bit of harmless fun. 

Selling drugs destroys lives. 

Not many compared to alcohol