U.S. and UKRAINE Developments

TallGuyJohninBKK

13 hours ago, zackz said:
  • Feb. 26: “Biden approves $350 million in military aid for Ukraine": Reuters

• Mar. 16: “Biden announces $800 million in military aid for Ukraine”: The New York Times

• Mar. 30: “Ukraine to receive additional $500 million in aid from U.S., Biden announces”: NBC News

• Apr. 12: “U.S. to announce $750 million more in weapons for Ukraine, officials say":  Reuters

• May 6: “Biden announces new $150 million weapons package for Ukraine”: Reuters

Congress voted overwhelmingly to add additional funding of $40B ($13.6 billion infusion of military and humanitarian aid to Ukraine) bring total proxy war costs up to $54B. source-additional Ukraine appropriations.

To put this $54 billion amount in perspective, it is (a) larger than the average annual amount that the U.S. spent on its own war in Afghanistan ($46 billion), (b) close to the overall amount Russia spends on its entire military for the year ($69 billion), (c) close to 7% of the overall U.S. military budget, by far the largest in the world ($778 billion), and (d) certain to be far, far higher — easily into the hundreds of billions of dollars and likely the trillion dollar level — given that U.S. officials insist that this war will last not months but years, and that it will stand with Ukraine until the bitter end.

And the beauty of this is the cost will be paid by good ole American tax paying public who care NOT about this war 5,000 miles away.

You're a 14 percenter.

Big majority of Americans back sanctions on Russia, aid to Ukraine, poll finds

image.png.3f0edeaa2104ac35c0dc7e12c3006d91.png

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2022/05/02/poll-ukraine-support-biden/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, zackz said:

• Mar. 16: “Biden announces $800 million in military aid for Ukraine”: The New York Times

• Mar. 30: “Ukraine to receive additional $500 million in aid from U.S., Biden announces”: NBC News

• Apr. 12: “U.S. to announce $750 million more in weapons for Ukraine, officials say":  Reuters

• May 6: “Biden announces new $150 million weapons package for Ukraine”: Reuters

Congress voted overwhelmingly to add additional funding of $40B ($13.6 billion infusion of military and humanitarian aid to Ukraine) bring total proxy war costs up to $54B. source-additional Ukraine appropriations.

To put this $54 billion amount in perspective, it is (a) larger than the average annual amount that the U.S. spent on its own war in Afghanistan ($46 billion), (b) close to the overall amount Russia spends on its entire military for the year ($69 billion), (c) close to 7% of the overall U.S. military budget, by far the largest in the world ($778 billion), and (d) certain to be far, far higher — easily into the hundreds of billions of dollars and likely the trillion dollar level — given that U.S. officials insist that this war will last not months but years, and that it will stand with Ukraine until the bitter end.

And the beauty of this is the cost will be paid by good ole American tax paying public who care NOT about this war 5,000 miles away.

Fox News Poll: Most think what happens in Ukraine matters to life in U.S.

image.png.0e5865a11164d6baa1f3e07e6a74835c.png

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/fox-news-poll-most-think-what-happens-ukraine-matters-life-u-s

14 hours ago, zackz said:

image.png.ade1d07ef39527657796a0162224685a.png

https://www.pewresearch.org/politics/2022/05/10/americans-concerns-about-war-in-ukraine-wider-conflict-possible-u-s-russia-clash/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

The minority that is isolationist comes mostly from the far right but also some from the far left.

What Ukraine needs to worry about is sustained support if the war drags on for years.

Russia can't survive the military losses and economic sanctions for years.  If the war continues past this year it will probably be a a much lower level, akin to the fighting in east Ukraine before Russia's invasion.

34 minutes ago, heybruce said:

Russia can't survive the military losses and economic sanctions for years.  If the war continues past this year it will probably be a a much lower level, akin to the fighting in east Ukraine before Russia's invasion.

Actually, I think your outlook is way too pessimistic (or way too optimistic for supporters of Russia),  This guy says 90 days at most. And he acknowledged is could be a lot less.

As I've remarked, once U.S. artillery is fully incorpated into the Ukrainian armed forces, that should make a huge difference. The US howitzer is accurate to within 2 meters throughout its range. And given the intelligence that's available to the Ukrainians about Russian positions, I think the Russians will be made short work of. I'd bet that a panicked retreat is in the offing.

1 hour ago, placeholder said:

Actually, I think your outlook is way too pessimistic (or way too optimistic for supporters of Russia),  This guy says 90 days at most. And he acknowledged is could be a lot less.

As I've remarked, once U.S. artillery is fully incorpated into the Ukrainian armed forces, that should make a huge difference. The US howitzer is accurate to within 2 meters throughout its range. And given the intelligence that's available to the Ukrainians about Russian positions, I think the Russians will be made short work of. I'd bet that a panicked retreat is in the offing.

I"m more pessimistic Assuming Russia "loses" its not as if they'll leave Crimea and Donbas. They might negotiate a pause but as long as Putin or even worse hawks remain in power the genocidal goals toward Ukraine persist even if it takes them 30 years  I would also be concerned how Ukraine can restart its vital grain exports. Vital to Ukraine's economy and feeding the the world. Not forgetting perhaps trillions of dollars to rebuild Ukraine and dealing with the many millions of refugees. I would caution against premature celebrations.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1