Koh Phangan covid extension

17 minutes ago, avokadokikkeli said:

Thats how you have time to go talk with agency about options

IMO immigration offices are out of line. 

As you point out those that entered on visa exempt or tourist visa (not STV) are still able to obtain covid extensions.

I have had pm messages from guys that entered as outlined above and have been refused covid extension based on "you have been here too long"

One guy was refused at his local imm office the again in another province and finally used an agent. 12k. He entered Thailand on tourist visa.

Another (married couple USA) dealing with Hua Hin were refused due to no letter from their embassy. 5,500b overcame that issue. 

It's a turkey shoot. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

As you point out those that entered on visa exempt or tourist visa (not STV) are still able to obtain covid extensions.

I have had pm messages from guys that entered as outlined above and have been refused covid extension based on "you have been here too long"

One guy was refused at his local imm office the again in another province and finally used an agent. 12k. He entered Thailand on tourist visa.

Another (married couple USA) dealing with Hua Hin were refused due to no letter from their embassy. 5,500b overcame that issue. 

It's a turkey shoot. 

I wonder how Bangkok has been.

7 minutes ago, audaciousnomad said:

I wonder how Bangkok has been.

Have hardly read a report.

Prior to Jan 25, CW started with a "need to show outbound flight".

Would be useful if anyone trying to obtain a covid extension (anywhere) could post a report.

Success or otherwise. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's a turkey shoot. 

Jack, Could you confirm that STV holders are not now eligible for a covid ext. I was planning on going to Krabi immigration later this week as I am a couple of weeks short before I fly out. Thanks

37 minutes ago, Greenwich Boy said:

Jack, Could you confirm that STV holders are not now eligible for a covid ext. I was planning on going to Krabi immigration later this week as I am a couple of weeks short before I fly out. Thanks

My understanding is that since Jan 26 the folk with STV could not obtain covid extension.

Previously reports of that being possible. Even then it seemed bit hit and miss..

As per this thread. Note this thread is prior to Jan 26.

Those that entered with non O were then excluded from obtaining covid extensions. 

@ubonjoe hopefully can outline current immigration position on covid extensions for those that entered STV. 

Edited by DrJack54

2 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

That's your interpretation.

I am pretty sure, it´s not only my interpretation. Guess you should ask the authorities about that. I have, and that´s why I can give the answer, not comment, like I just did.

2 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Land borders are still closed.

The "travel back to your country" is an invention coined by some folk as indeed you have done in your post.....as you stated..

In my opinion, Covid extensions were not created as an aid for people who would previously have used border bounces as a way to stay long term in Thailand.

There is no consensus among officialdom as to how easy it should be made for long term tourists to remain in Thailand. Some, especially those trying to stimulate the Thai hospitality sector, would like to make it as easy as possible for foreigners to come and to remain. They managed to force through the Special Tourist Visa and to maintain the possibility of Covid extensions for the moment. However, unlike you, I do not think keeping the possibility of Covid extensions for those on tourist entries is an order to immigration offices to provide them under all circumstances.

The easiest course for immigration offices is to allow Covid extensions where they are not forbidden to issue them. In immigration offices where the senior official decides that Covid extensions are being applied for improperly, and feels strongly about the matter, I am not surprised that extensions are being refused, and do not think such refusals are being made by "rogue officials".

As a practical matter, it would be in Thailand's best interests to keep the current low number of foreigners here in Thailand in most cases. That is true regardless of whether they are on tourist or Non Immigration entries. However, an element of antipathy towards foreigners exists in all countries, Thailand being no exception. It is better to deal with reality rather assume the world works the way you believe it ought to operate.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

I go by what's written in the gazette.

Not by what some clerk with a stamp states. 

Many folk live in SEA.

Obtaining a visa is currently difficult to put it mildly.

One report recently of chap that made it to Phnom Penh and back.

Far from straight forward.

I'm waiting to be able to get to Vietnam. 

Easy for me on annual extensions.

All we hear from the "I'm ok jack" brigade is "obtain the correct visa".

No problem...open land borders and folk can do exactly that. 

It's not about returning to your passport country. 

MARCH 15th good sir! ????

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/vietnam-to-fully-reopen-15th-march/

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, audaciousnomad said:

Thanks for the link. 

Actually was aware that Vietnam was phasing in new requirements.

Less onerous.

This part in the link is smallish concern.

"If they’re positive for COVID-19, they will be medically isolated at their place of accommodation and will be treated according to the regulations of the Ministry of Health." 

However all travel currently has some risk with Omicron being so contagious.

BTW have just now sent off email to my visa agent in Saigon. 

Being Oz we require a visa, unlike the many countries that receive visa exempt option. 

I assume no issue to obtain visa. I usually obtain a 3 month multiple entry. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Why were covid extensions extended beyond Jan 25.

The reality is they were. I deal with that. 

Indeed. Covid extensions are not outright forbidden for those on tourist entries. Where we part company is your belief that Covid extensions are automatic for those on tourist entries, whereas I believe Immigration is being given the power to decide on a case by case basis whether the request for an extension is justified. Rogue officials or senior immigration officials using the discretionary powers they possess? I think we will need to agree to disagree on this point.

26 minutes ago, BritTim said:

Rogue officials or senior immigration officials using the discretionary powers they possess?

Spare me.

I've had numerous communication from folk using money direct to immigration to obtain covid extensions.

A couple of examples. Wasting time.

A USA married couple dealing with Hua Hin and trying to obtain first CE after visa exempt entry and the standard 30 day extension..... immigration introduced game of must supply embassy letter. Affidavit not accepted.

However both were given CE upon payment of 5500 each.

Another ....Someone I have been in contact with, his experience is rejected at his office then went to neighboring province also rejected and ended up with well know agent. 12k. (entered tv) .

This occured last couple of days.

Immigration have smelt blood and want grease money. 

• Like 1

Spare me.

I've had numerous communication from folk using money direct to immigration to obtain covid extensions.

A couple of examples. Wasting time.

A USA married couple dealing with Hua Hin and trying to obtain first CE after visa exempt entry and the standard 30 day extension..... immigration introduced game of must supply embassy letter. Affidavit not accepted.

However both were given CE upon payment of 5500 each.

Another ....Someone I have been in contact with, his experience is rejected at his office then went to neighboring province also rejected and ended up with well know agent. 12k. (entered tv) .

This occured last couple of days.

Immigration have smelt blood and want grease money. 

If your point is that corruption can achieve immigration results that would not otherwise be possible, then we are in agreement. That does not mean that immigration officials do not have the official power to deny Covid extensions when they believe the tourist applying is not prevented by Covid from returning to their home country.

I am not saying that denying foreigners the ability to stay in Thailand is in Thailand's best interests. I am also not saying that corruption in Immigration is non existent (indeed, it is widespread). I am saying that appealing denial of Covid extensions through official channels would be pointless because it reflects officials using powers they have quite deliberately been granted.

23 minutes ago, BritTim said:

That does not mean that immigration officials do not have the official power to deny Covid extensions when they believe the tourist applying is not prevented by Covid from returning to their home country.

Funniest thing I've read today. 

Using that logic why is a single covid extension being issued. 

What does the issue of a covid extension depend on? Not in your immigration but actually written down in government policy. 

The ability to return to home country? You stated that's currently possible so why issue any. 

Enough of this off topic chit chat.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

My understanding is that since Jan 26 the folk with STV could not obtain covid extension.

Previously reports of that being possible. Even then it seemed bit hit and miss..

As per this thread. Note this thread is prior to Jan 26.

Those that entered with non O were then excluded from obtaining covid extensions. 

@ubonjoe hopefully can outline current immigration position on covid extensions for those that entered STV. 

Thanks Jack. Seems like more of a lottery than usual. I will head to Krabi immi on Friday and report back. Not familiar with them as my dealings have all been in CM. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Funniest thing I've read today. 

Using that logic why is a single covid extension being issued. 

Because

1. The easiest approach is to give people what they want.
  2. Some officials are more sympathetic to foreigners who want to stay.
  3. Officials have the power to grant or deny the extension to tourists.

We are not going to agree. You have your perception of the powers granted to officials and I have mine. I am not so conceited as to state that I cannot be wrong. Consider your views as vindicated if you are quite sure I am wrong.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, BritTim said:

In my opinion, Covid extensions were not created as an aid for people who would previously have used border bounces as a way to stay long term in Thailand.

Well, i have stayed in SEA for years. Not only just in Thailand, many of us go work for a while in neighboring countries etc. Have really nothing in my passport country.

And im sure that im not the only one in here with this same problem.

There is alot of different people with different backrounds in here. 

ofc officials wont never understand this or they even need to understand, but for the people in here as a tought khrap

1 hour ago, avokadokikkeli said:

11 hours ago, BritTim said:

Well, i have stayed in SEA for years. Not only just in Thailand, many of us go work for a while in neighboring countries etc. Have really nothing in my passport country.

And im sure that im not the only one in here with this same problem.

There is alot of different people with different backrounds in here. 

ofc officials wont never understand this or they even need to understand, but for the people in here as a tought khrap

Good luck to anyone who has succeeded in staying long term in Thailand using border bounces. They are harming no one, and will not receive any criticism from me. I still do not think Covid extensions were provided as a convenience for those who previously used border bounces in conjunction with visa exempt entry and/or visas that they scrambled to get by shopping around different consulates in the region.

As for officials not understanding all the reasons why people want to live in Thailand, or visit very often, that may or may not be true. Where they do understand, they either decide it is something they want to facilitate (by providing suitable visa types) or decide it is something they want to discourage (at which point, people need to scramble to find ways around the restrictions).

Edited by BritTim
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

I go by what's written in the gazette.

Not by what some clerk with a stamp states. 

Many folk live in SEA.

Obtaining a visa is currently difficult to put it mildly.

One report recently of chap that made it to Phnom Penh and back.

Far from straight forward.

I'm waiting to be able to get to Vietnam. 

Easy for me on annual extensions.

All we hear from the "I'm ok jack" brigade is "obtain the correct visa".

No problem...open land borders and folk can do exactly that. 

It's not about returning to your passport country. 

Why do you repeat returning to your passport country, all the time? Yes, it´s 100 % correct that you can stay and do not have any problems if you meet up to the demands for the correct visa. Yeah, maybe plus a little bit of annoying document an IO that woke up on the wrong side might ask for. Not a biggie!

Just because land borders open, that will not open up the possibilities for people to get the right and correct visa. That will just lead to misuse of the correct types of visa, and that people believe that the authorities will continue to allow that forever.

A tourist visa is just what it says. For visit the country during the time it is granted for including possible extensions. Not to get one after another to stay forever in a country.

A Non-O visa is for visiting family, work or long stay. Granted for 90 days, with a possible extension 60 days for visit wife or family member. Otherwise they are designed to be extended for a period of 1 year at the time. Not to be abused by 3 month border runs.

Also the multiple entry Non-O visa that many retirees and married persons used to stay long time before, just because the rules and regulations was not followed by certain embassies. They will probably in the long run get shut down, as they should as they fill no function. Regular Non-O with multiple entry document does the trick perfect.

I sincerely hope they will clean up these filthy loopholes in the system. Let´s say like DT! Let´s Make Thailand Great! ???? 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

The 7 days to leave the country will not be done unless you pay the 1900 baht fee after your application is denied

Are we sure the 7 days you get when applying for a covid extension with to a non-immigrant entry is a "You must leave within 7 days" stamp? Is it possible it's "just" a "standard" 7 day extension given without prejudice?

I think after 1st march people who enter will after arrive get 30 days in airport and after 30 days extra like before.Im sure covid extention will be removed.My agent told me to wait until 7th march before apply for thaipass(test and go)

1 hour ago, JayClay said:

Are we sure the 7 days you get when applying for a covid extension with to a non-immigrant entry is a "You must leave within 7 days" stamp? Is it possible it's "just" a "standard" 7 day extension given without prejudice?

A normal 7 day extension does not exist.

The stamp done by immigration does state you are granted 7 days to leave the country.

I  knew I shouldn't have bothered asking about this...

I know what the 7 days is usually given for (get out of the country), but that's not usually referred to in any communication from the government.

With the covid extension communication they specifically said that you get 60 days on a TR visa entry, or 7 days on any other type of entry.

While I guess the 7 days is in fact the 7 day "get out of the country" stamp, I wonder if anyone has actually tried it. There is a remote possibly that a new class of 7-day extension was created for this purpose. And if that should happen to be the case then it does make a difference; it may give somebody those extra few days needed to arrange an alternative extension, or it even may be possible (though not financially appealing) to chain them which may be useful if, for example, you have a flight that you can't cancel coming up 2 weeks after your current extension expires. Neither of these possibilities, of course, would exist if you're given a "get out" stamp.