How to answer the question "What are you doing here?"

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

Correct. 

Now just drop the 180day per year bit. Does not exist. 

Any longer, the last 20 years it have been rapid changes, but a bit more easy when you could deliver your passport to a office let's say Ao Nang in the morning, and then pick it up again the next morning. 

I'm not sure how many days you can stay in Thailand a calenders year now, and not time to try to Google it, but doubt it is any difference than Schengen still official.

3 hours ago, BritTim said:

If you have been in Thailand continuously for the last two years, except for the previous three days, and are returning from a visa run to Cambodia, that might not seem very credible. Why did you not marry last week, rather than waiting until your return from Cambodia? Saying you are in a long term relationship with a Thai GF (or boyfriend if you happen to be gay) is more credible, and one of the better lines. However, I would advise you to only use this if true. Officials might ask you to show evidence.

It is true and I have the paperwork to back it up ("fit to marry paper" translated and notarized from ministry of foreign affairs) , my only worry is if he would then instead say that I'm on wrong visa. 

Guys, I see a lot of comments that I'm abusing the system etc. I've been in thailand to live with my girlfriend. Last time I checked there is no "gf visa". 

Also visa types are made up by thai officials for the most common reasons, there is not a visa for every situation why somebody might want to stay in the country.

There are other countries that understand that better and offer longer/easier stay on blanket tourist visas. Or again, maybe I was just part of the 'DMK crackdown' as otherwise I had zero issues staying for almost 5 years in the country. The "good cop" of the duo who gave me issues that one time at DMK even suggested to me that I should try re-enter on ED visa if I want to continue to live here, as many are doing so he said. So seems like some IOs are more understanding than some members here...

Edited by zugzug123
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, zugzug123 said:

my only worry is if he would then instead say that I'm on wrong visa.

Your not on the wrong visa.

There is no visa that covers fiancee. 

You could use future marriage as a reason for your return to Thailand.

Personally I would keep it simple. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

Your not on the wrong visa.

There is no visa that covers fiancee. 

You could use future marriage as a reason for your return to Thailand.

Personally I would keep it simple. 

Thank you! All I wanted to know, but seems it derailed my thread I bit, although I can see why ????

15 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

I'm not sure how they would send you back. I mean the logistics of it given entry requirements to various countries.

The other alternative is to send you to your passport country. 

As for a reason for your return it's best to have a rehearsed reply.

Even if it's semi made up be clear and have reply ready.

Some folk mention a girlfriend.

Recent report of guy doing visa run to PP, he had no issue upon reentry however he had a non O marriage.

Your obtaining a TV.

No thought of longer stay in Cambodia? 

I thought they made the airline that brought one take one back from where one came from if entry is refused.

14 hours ago, Daithi85 said:

If I was you and your not in any rush to get back to Thailand I would chill out in Cambodia for a few months until land borders open. Big difference between coming in by land and flying in..coming in by land is no problem at all.

Exception made for Poipet/Aranyaprathet border.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, zugzug123 said:

So seems like some IOs are more understanding than some members here...

Definitely, some of the membership are a lot nastier than any IO I've ever encountered. Just ignore them, they only have imaginary stamps anyway. ????

Out of curiosity, did you follow that friendly IO's advice to try entering Thailand with an education visa? Or how did you enter again back then?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, lazygourmet said:

Exception made for Poipet/Aranyaprathet border.

Yes correct, that's why last time I came back from Cambodia I came in at a different border crossing. I remember people have big problems at poipet just before the covid madness began. 

3 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I thought they made the airline that brought one take one back from where one came from if entry is refused.

That's correct.

I'm just unsure how being flown back you would be able to meet entry requirements back where you departed. Covid test etc

There was chap few years back (when DMK had blitz) flew Saigon to DMK. Refused entry. Flown back to Saigon. Immigration at Saigon airport refused to admit him to Vietnam. 

Then flown from Saigon back to UK (UK national). 

Disasters happen. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Caldera said:

Definitely, some of the membership are a lot nastier than any IO I've ever encountered. Just ignore them, they only have imaginary stamps anyway. ????

Out of curiosity, did you follow that friendly IO's advice to try entering Thailand with an education visa? Or how did you enter again back then?

Yes, that's how I got here before the pandemic started. Made use of the visa too and learned to speak and read thai ????

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, zugzug123 said:

It is true and I have the paperwork to back it up ("fit to marry paper" translated and notarized from ministry of foreign affairs) , my only worry is if he would then instead say that I'm on wrong visa. 

Guys, I see a lot of comments that I'm abusing the system etc. I've been in thailand to live with my girlfriend. Last time I checked there is no "gf visa". 

Also visa types are made up by thai officials for the most common reasons, there is not a visa for every situation why somebody might want to stay in the country.

There are other countries that understand that better and offer longer/easier stay on blanket tourist visas. Or again, maybe I was just part of the 'DMK crackdown' as otherwise I had zero issues staying for almost 5 years in the country. The "good cop" of the duo who gave me issues that one time at DMK even suggested to me that I should try re-enter on ED visa if I want to continue to live here, as many are doing so he said. So seems like some IOs are more understanding than some members here...

If you have very recently issued paperwork supporting your claim that you are about to marry, then obviously your statement that you are returning to get married will almost certainly be accepted. At the current time, you could probably also use the argument that, yes, you have been planning to marry for months, but Covid restrictions mean the amphoe has been refusing to carry out the registration. You will marry as soon as possible. Usually, with older paperwork, immigration would be very suspicious.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

That's correct.

I'm just unsure how being flown back you would be able to meet entry requirements back where you departed. Covid test etc

There was chap few years back (when DMK had blitz) flew Saigon to DMK. Refused entry. Flown back to Saigon. Immigration at Saigon airport refused to admit him to Vietnam. 

Then flown from Saigon back to UK (UK national). 

Disasters happen. 

I have to apply for another covid extension this month, my passport has alot of covid extensions,i have  brand new passport waiting for me to pick up at my embassy in Bangkok. I'm not sure should I try for another extension with my current passport or go and collect the new passport and apply using that, what do you think? Would it make a big difference going with a  fresh passport? 

5 minutes ago, Daithi85 said:

I have to apply for another covid extension this month, my passport has alot of covid extensions,i have  brand new passport waiting for me to pick up at my embassy in Bangkok. I'm not sure should I try for another extension with my current passport or go and collect the new passport and apply using that, what do you think? Would it make a big difference going with a  fresh passport? 

I think your chances of getting a further Covid extension will be unaffected by whether you use the old or new passport.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Daithi85 said:

Would it make a big difference going with a  fresh passport?

Won't make any difference.

The io would want your most recent extension stamp transferred and will see your old pp first hand.

I cannot recall. Think you entered on visa exempt or tourist visa.

No reason why you cannot obtain another.

Which immigration office. 

Edited by DrJack54

I get this question every year and "staying with my wife" always works.

Since I'm young I also every year get "how do you make money to stay here?". I'm always using "my dad owns big company in Europe". It's true, although I never saw single penny from that company. But it always stops all other questions, probably because of thai mentality "if one family member has money let's suck him dry///if I have money let's give it all to my family that blows it on nonsense". It's much simpler than going into my financial investments etc. ????

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Daithi85 said:

Yes correct, that's why last time I came back from Cambodia I came in at a different border crossing. I remember people have big problems at poipet just before the covid madness began. 

Even when leaving Thailand... Last time I passed through it, they pretended that my last visa extension was a fake one. Stamp was issued at Prachinburi and they didn't know that an immigration office recently opened there.

• Like 1

Just now, DrJack54 said:

Won't make any difference.

The io would want your most recent extension stamp transferred and will see your old pp first hand.

I cannot recall. Think you entered on visa exempt or tourist visa.

No reason why you cannot obtain another.

Which immigration office. 

Jomtien I'mmigration. Yes I entered visa exempt, have not had any problems at all so far applying for covid extensions .usually apply 30 days before my current extension is up,but this round a few people I know trying to apply early have been sent away and told to come back 3 days before their extension expires. That puts a bit more pressure on. 

5 minutes ago, Daithi85 said:

I know trying to apply early have been sent away and told to come back 3 days before their extension expires. That puts a bit more pressure on

Certainly does. I would go now and try.

When does your current permit end.

1 minute ago, bkk6060 said:

Just answer honestly. 

I had an officer once ask me: you come here you like to boom boom Thai lady?  I said; Yes sure.  We both laughed and on I went.

A Benny Hill moment

11 minutes ago, AndyAndyAndy said:

It's true, although I never saw single penny from that company

Love it. I copy the words of The Shack and feed it to by 2 sons...

I tell them all the time, ‘We ain’t rich. I’m rich.”

15 hours ago, zugzug123 said:

I just answered I stay here with my girlfriend, I rent a condo, etc. But at that time I did't know about the 20k THB requirement... so that may have been why?

"I just answered I stay here with my girlfriend, I rent a condo, etc."

You confirmed to the IO that you were playing the Tourist Visa system, don't think that may have been why?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, zugzug123 said:
15 hours ago, aussiexpat said:

You're on a 60 day tourist visa, immigration ask what are you doing here, oh I live here with my girlfriend in my rented condo...

Not hard to see why your answer does not match your visa and so would likely be questioned in any country?

Expand  

So what should I've answered in your opinion?

You're asking members here what lies you should tell Immigration to con your way in?   Seriously?  

Why not just get the correct visa for your visit?

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

You're asking members here what lies you should tell Immigration to con your way in?   Seriously?  

Why not just get the correct visa for your visit?

And what visa would that be? And who said anything about lying? I suggest you read this thread first before commenting further, you might gain a few insights ????

Edited by zugzug123
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, zugzug123 said:

And what visa would that be? And who said anything about lying? I suggest you read this thread first before commenting further, you might gain a few insights ????

Marriage visa, or continue to do proper long term tourist visas. 

• Confused 1

17 hours ago, audaciousnomad said:

First, I spent a year studying and taking examinations. Then I spent another year volunteering because I am a kind and caring person. But even the hardest working, most studious, and kindest person needs a holiday to recharge themselves. And Thailand is the best place for a holiday!  ????

Exactly , just say “study,  rest & relax in safe hot country” ! 

1 hour ago, Daithi85 said:

That's because that border crossing is one huge racketeering operation...on both sides of it!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, zugzug123 said:

Marriage visa requires marriage certificate? What is a "proper long term tourist visa"?

If you are in a relationship and continue to travel to Schengen? You have one fiance visa, not multiple right? You are right you do not have that option in Thailand, but if your intention is to stay with the same women, your option is to get married. 

Long term tourist visa TR 60+30 days, and repeat, or do the same as I did in the beginning, but now on retirement after turn 50 years.

However I did leave country and did go working in Europe, but visa exemptions, renew on the local immigration, border run, before I came back on tourist visa next time, so I did not only had visa exemptions in my passport. 

From my knowledge from others experience, if you first start having a suspecious officer, you most likely at some point be denied entry. 

Who knows how they are going to handle this in the future after COVID.

• Thanks 1