Why does Philippines have horrible food?

Jan0

Even the expensive food I buy has bad taste??? The 7-11 noodles taste better then the expensive food here...

I visited 2 Thai restaurants, but even they dont know how to make pad thai from bothe 2 stores ???

Jolibee does not taste nice at all, mcdonalds served me cheesy burger(was'nt nice, meat was awful), kfc tastes strange??? Burger king is okay(but I cant eat that everyday) the 1 thousand peso pizza is 5/5 but can't eat pizza and burger king everyday, because ill get sick of it...

When I visited the supermarket the meat from Australia was smelling off, and Chicken wasn't smelling well either???

I can not even find a proper variety of non-sweet yoghurt???

Vendor food and karendya(not sure how to spell it) does not look pleasing???

Food orders get mixed up so many times, i have to triple check my order???

I had cheap philippino noodles(I was expecting it to be better tasting, because i even though food was not tasting nice because i was spending a lot of money)

I dont know where to get good food???

• Like 1

On 3/7/2022 at 10:37 PM, AwwYesNice1 said:

It's why we are in Thailand coz P.I. food is such trash.

Indigenous Phils food is wonderful but not always easy to find.  Sinigang, dinuguan, kare2, kaldereta etc.  Unfortunately the junk you mention has taken over.  Scout around a mall food court and you'll find yummy rice shops.

On 3/8/2022 at 12:42 AM, it is what it is said:

i have friends in singapore and HK, all have filipino maids, they are not only excellent cooks of dishes they know but are open to cooking dishes they are unfamiliar with.

Yes, looks like I will be having to do something like that it seems....

On 3/10/2022 at 10:39 AM, teelac777 said:

ndigenous Phils food is wonderful but not always easy to find.  Sinigang, dinuguan, kare2, kaldereta etc.  Unfortunately the junk you mention has taken over.  Scout around a mall food court and you'll find yummy rice shops.

Obviously damage from colonization.

Like Hawaiian female dancers wearing bras :biggrin:

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Haha 1

On 3/7/2022 at 10:18 PM, Jan0 said:

I dont know where to get good food???

You didn't specify where you are .........

If you're in Barretto, Olongapo I can recommend.

Johan's Beach and Dive resort on Baloy Long Beach, great breakfasts.

Rock and Roll Bar, decent fish and chips and Aussie meat pies.

Arizona Beach Resort, very nice Mexican food, and even have a Mexican Night. 

Back before I knew about Thailand I used to visit the PI, one day my then GF for hire wanted to cook me diner so we headed off to the local open market and it was DISGUSTING, flys all over the pork, fish, beef.  I thought I was in some African documentary where the kids sit with flys all over their face.

Then I found Thailand and never went back to the PI.

1 minute ago, bbko said:

Back before I knew about Thailand I used to visit the PI, one day my then GF for hire wanted to cook me diner so we headed off to the local open market and it was DISGUSTING, flys all over the pork, fish, beef.  I thought I was in some African documentary where the kids sit with flys all over their face.

Went to my local Thai open air market this aft ............... same!

(except no beef and nobody could afford the pork)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Went to my local Thai open air market this aft ............... same!

(except no beef and nobody could afford the pork)

Or "beef" need kill again! And if i want i buy chewing gum from 7/11!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Obviously damage from colonization.

Like Hawaiian female dancers wearing bras :biggrin:

First of all, yes, most of the food there IS terrible (my first wife was a Philippinia so I have years of experience - at least it does not give you the slightest clue of an asian touch), but my theory is the other way round from yours. Maybe their original native food has not been spoiled by modern fast food in its core.

I believe that their food culture has been formed by a large degree by invading Portugiese or Spanish. Now this is some hundred years ago and they might have brought with them such delicacies as "Rotten Rat Stew - Captain Style" which the creative Pinoi have developed into the form and under the name you have now.

However, there are also some (rare) delicious treats. All you need is a just caught fresh fish, rubbed in salt and put on the grill. To make this taste bad you would need an outstanding talent. Sea food is not my preference but a makerel made this way, maybe served with soya souce and a bit grated radish (this is than as well known as a Japanese Shioyaki) is superb. Or a milk fish. Then they have this fish salad (raw tuna with lemon juice) which is as well known in Mexico (here we have the connection). This one is a highlight, too. And then there is leche flan as a dessert. After that I need to start to think hard of anything exeptional.

There is not really such a thing as a vast excellent original Cuisine tradition, like we have in France, China, Thailand, Italy, Japan, even Germany or Spain.

• Like 2