Easy Visa Run?

17 minutes ago, stratocaster said:

On another forum someone claims they received a 30 day medical extension from the visa department of (name removed) hospital located between Suk Soi 1 and 3. A fee was charged.

They might of gotten one for valid reasons. The fee would be for the extension and a service charge for doing it for them.

Maybe they got infected by covid 19 and their current permit to stay was ending.

• Thanks 1

Just heard, don't try and do a visa run if you had a volunteer visa. 

They are denying entry and deporting under grounds that you stayed here illegally during the pandemic when you fly back..

Makes me especially glad I chose the staying in country and taking Thai class route over the visa run now.

6 minutes ago, Dart12 said:

They are denying entry and deporting under grounds that you stayed here illegally during the pandemic when you fly back..

Heard from where? 

this false rumour keeps popping up and is always debunked  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, FridgeMagnet1 said:

It comes up every few months and it’s always BS

I'm not going to look for the posts however I'm pretty sure of reports where people have returned to los with the dreaded VV in passport. 

When borders do open it will be interesting to see what happens with border bounce or even visa obtained overnight.

No problem I would imagine at land borders however visa exempt return via air to somewhere like Saigon etc with a couple days out of Thailand might be an issue. 

Hopefully not.

As much as I love Thailand I would easily enjoy time in another place. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, Dart12 said:

I have no special knowledge on this matter. My suspicion is that problems at airport immigration after a dodgy volunteer visa are probably real, rare, and due to the attitude of a handful of individual immigration officials rather than a general policy. Since there are reliable reports of some people having no problem, in spite of the offending stamps, it seems clear that you will only have problems, if at all, if you are unlucky.

• Like 1

i would go any where just for 17 days unless if you are planning to come back to thailand very very soon.

firstly the cost of your visa trip probably will be more expensive than paying 17 days overstay (500/day) which is 8500 baht. Your visa run will cost you around 15-20K with all hotels, PCR and so on. 

For doing a visa run (new to this) if you currently have a covid extension which is valid until 3 april, and you go to cambodia do you have to wait asking an Tourist Visa at the Thai embassy at PP until after 3 april because they might say your current extension is valid still this date? Or can you apply for it before the current extension date has ended? 

5 minutes ago, iwan55555 said:

For doing a visa run (new to this) if you currently have a covid extension which is valid until 3 april, and you go to cambodia do you have to wait asking an Tourist Visa at the Thai embassy at PP until after 3 april because they might say your current extension is valid still this date? Or can you apply for it before the current extension date has ended? 

If you exit Thailand without a reentry permit your extension is finished. 

Then apply for tourist visa whenever you like. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Can anyone advice a Visa-Agent in Cambodia PP, in these times rather pay an agent to get things done directly then having the chance TR gets rejected or papers not filled in correctly. (Visa Run Thailand to Cambodia) and then missing the date for the Thailand Pass/Flight back Thailand/AQ hotel (going after 1 april) 

Any advice is welcome!! 

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, iwan55555 said:

Any advice is welcome!! 

Use of agent good idea in PP.

I had a look for threads. 

Unfortunately very old.

A current thread had answers more concerned with requirements to enter.

Hopefully someone that has used agent in PP recently can advise.

There are plenty on Google and shows 'currently open' so you could go by reviews.

Problem is since covid lot of businesses have closed.

Particular in tourism industry.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, iwan55555 said:

Can anyone advice a Visa-Agent in Cambodia PP, in these times rather pay an agent to get things done directly then having the chance TR gets rejected or papers not filled in correctly. (Visa Run Thailand to Cambodia) and then missing the date for the Thailand Pass/Flight back Thailand/AQ hotel (going after 1 april) 

Any advice is welcome!! 

Be aware that using a good agent in Phnom Penh improves your chances of scoring a tourist visa, but it is no guarantee. Prior to Covid, it was not uncommon for the embassy to refuse to agree tourist visas applied for through agents, often insisting that you attend the embassy yourself for interview (after which you might, or might not, get the visa). Good luck!

• Like 2

Border run to Singapore has been expensive because of all the testing, plane, hotel  and COL costs. And then we were hit with a positive return pre-flight PCR result because we had Covid 6 weeks ago! Bit of a mess, but was the right choice for us since we now have a chance to revisit Singapore after living here 25 years ago.

• Confused 1

On 3/23/2022 at 10:56 AM, DrJack54 said:

Where info come from.

Lot of good info in Facebook but also lot of troll imo.

23 hours ago, BritTim said:

I have no special knowledge on this matter. My suspicion is that problems at airport immigration after a dodgy volunteer visa are probably real, rare, and due to the attitude of a handful of individual immigration officials rather than a general policy. 

On 3/23/2022 at 10:57 AM, FridgeMagnet1 said:

Heard from where? 

this false rumour keeps popping up and is always debunked  

Personal friend who's traveling partner tried to re enter last week..

Held for 12 hours in airport jail then deported back to Cambodia where he had spent the prior week for his run.

RE stated:  It's illegal to be in Thailand for 2 years straight.  The volunteer visas were illegal.  (Remember, new big boss in charge now).   

This visa has been a NIGHTMARE and a TWO TIME $$ suck for all that did what the government said was the only way to stay before granting amnesty for covid.

Then Cambodia did the same to him (please don't ask me why Cambodia just followed suit as he was just there, I have the same questions, but I learned common sense doesn't come into play here with immigration),

held him in overnight jail and were going to deport him back to the States.  He eluded getting sent to states and is staying in Cambodia for the time being.

This is important to him, as he has to get back into Thailand as well soon, and was already booked. 

It's not BS when it's YOU it's happening to.

It wasn't a one time event.  This has happened to 3 others of his traveling companions.  Now, 4 people don't make it statistically normal, but if it's everyone you know....it's a serious concern if you are flying back into Thailand as well with the same visa from the same legitimate agency.

So, now to try and prevent this, he's getting a new, emergency Passport from the Embassy and is holding his breath.

He noted that these have all been at the BKK airport.  He knows no one that tried flying into Phuket directly and if they are doing the same.

I talk with this gentleman frequently, becasue when we heard of the denials we both went into deep dives for how to remain here legally under the new guidelines and covid pitfalls.

I opted for a year long ED visa, and a big part of that decision that over-rid the high cost of yearlong was that on any given day you don't know what new rule is going to be implemented, and if I'd get stuck or denied re-entry for god knows what  (like these poor chaps).. 

He opted to do a visa run because he's traveled frequently and was super comfortable doing it, and has to return to the States within a few months for work and did not need a one year entry..  

BS?  NO.
RUMOR? NO

New standard procedure?  IDK
Every airport?  IDK
DID IT HAPPEN to those travelers:  YES.

I have zero reason to scaremonger.  Only sharing what is VERY serious concerns for many people, and what I am seeing thru personal accounts and experience.  

And I would hope that Thailand is not doing this as protocol.  If I left for a run, I'd want to know I can get back in 100% no problem.  But. a friend is going thru this very real scare right now.  Fingers crossed for him.

Like I said, glad I did it "in house" despite the bulk fee.

Edited by Dart12
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Dart12 said:

Held for 12 hours in airport jail then deported back to Cambodia where he had spent the prior week for his run.

RE stated:  It's illegal to be in Thailand for 2 years straight.  The volunteer visas were illegal.  (Remember, new big boss in charge now).   

This visa has been a NIGHTMARE and a TWO TIME $$ suck for all that did what the government said was the only way to stay before granting amnesty for covid.

Then Cambodia did the same to him (please don't ask me why Cambodia just followed suit as he was just there, I have the same questions, but I learned common sense doesn't come into play here with immigration),

held him in overnight jail and were going to deport him back to the States.  He eluded getting sent to states and is staying in Cambodia for the time being.

This is important to him, as he has to get back into Thailand as well soon, and was already booked. 

It's not BS when it's YOU it's happening to.

It wasn't a one time event.  This has happened to 3 others of his traveling companions.  Now, 4 people don't make it statistically normal, but if it's everyone you know....it's a serious concern if you are flying back into Thailand as well with the same visa from the same legitimate agency.

So, now to try and prevent this, he's getting a new, emergency Passport from the Embassy and is holding his breath.

He noted that these have all been at the BKK airport.  He knows no one that tried flying into Phuket directly and if they are doing the same.

I talk with this gentleman frequently, becasue when we heard of the denials we both went into deep dives for how to remain here legally under the new guidelines and covid pitfalls.

I opted for a year long ED visa, and a big part of that decision that over-rid the high cost of yearlong was that on any given day you don't know what new rule is going to be implemented, and if I'd get stuck or denied re-entry for god knows what  (like these poor chaps).. 

He opted to do a visa run because he's traveled frequently and was super comfortable doing it, and has to return to the States within a few months for work and did not need a one year entry..  

BS?  NO.
RUMOR? NO

New standard procedure?  IDK
Every airport?  IDK
DID IT HAPPEN to those travelers:  YES.

I have zero reason to scaremonger.  Only sharing what is VERY serious concerns for many people, and what I am seeing thru PERSONAL experience.  

And I would hope that Thailand is not doing this as protocol.  If I left for a run, I'd want to know I can get back in 100% no problem.  But. a friend is going thru this very real scare right now.  Fingers crossed for him.

Like I said, glad I did it "in house" despite the bulk fee.

Pre-pandemic, I was actually avoiding arriving into BKK/DMK for precisely this reason.  I did land entries instead (Myanmar and Cambodia).  He can chance flying into Phuket, or if he has time to relax a bit in Cambodia....they are working on opening land borders soon. They already announced it on paper, but I think they are working out with Thailand on reciprocity so it's not just a one-way deal at the land entry points.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, audaciousnomad said:

Pre-pandemic, I was actually avoiding arriving into BKK/DMK for precisely this reason.  I did land entries instead (Myanmar and Cambodia).  He can chance flying into Phuket, or if he has time to relax a bit in Cambodia....they are working on opening land borders soon. They already announced it on paper, but I think they are working out with Thailand on reciprocity so it's not just a one-way deal at the land entry points.

Yeah... it's cambodia that opening land.  Thailand still control freak with no intention yet far as I've heard.

1 minute ago, Dart12 said:

Yeah... it's cambodia that opening land.  Thailand still control freak with no intention yet far as I've heard.

Another option is to indirectly enter by going to Laos first, then to Thailand.  The friendship bridge at Nong Khai is open right now. Thai Embassy Vientiane even published full details for foreigners as to which hotels are approved, etc.  

Details for foreign arrivals(requires Chrome browser for the auto-translate feature) are midway down this page:  https://vientiane.thaiembassy.org/2022/03/4999/

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, audaciousnomad said:

Another option is to indirectly enter by going to Laos first, then to Thailand.  The friendship bridge at Nong Khai is open right now. Thai Embassy Vientiane even published full details for foreigners as to which hotels are approved, etc.  

Details for foreign arrivals(requires Chrome browser for the auto-translate feature) are midway down this page:  https://vientiane.thaiembassy.org/2022/03/4999/

@Dart12 You may have seen this post also...a forum member reports having successfully(and easily) crossed into Nong Khai from Vientiane. ????

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Dart12 said:

Did they have a visa for entry or were they entering visa exempt?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, audaciousnomad said:

I"ll give him this info.

18 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Did they have a visa for entry or were they entering visa exempt?

I'll have to ask

47 minutes ago, audaciousnomad said:

The problem is to enter Laos they require a pre booked tour, vaccine, pcr test, and all sorts of nonsense.

The only option right now like 2019 is Mongolia by air, not exactly a cost effective visa run.

Edited by at15

55 minutes ago, Dart12 said:

Wrong. I just crossed over land from Vientiane 3 days ago. You have to apply for Thai Pass first. Was quarantined a total of 5 hours. Piece of cake

• Thanks 2

On 3/23/2022 at 10:49 AM, Dart12 said:

Makes me especially glad I chose the staying in country and taking Thai class route over the visa run now.

I just did a successful visa run to Cambodia with a previous volunteer visa. However I used a second passport on return to Thailand. If that made any difference i don't know. The original passport is full, so will not be used again. I guess I will never know. I was not questioned anything on departure or arrival.

Immigration denied me a marriage extension because of the volunteer visa earlier. But they actually told me to do a visa run and apply again. They did not tell me to switch passports. That contradicts people being deported in BKK. (Not saying it didn't happen)

Also, if this problem is real i can see a problem with enforcement.. How do they know if the volunteer visa wasn't legit?

Those that had a "proper" one with work permit are not going to carry that around after its expired? Will they also get deported?

Edited by MajorTom

2 minutes ago, MajorTom said:

I just did a successful visa run to Cambodia with a previous volunteer visa. However I used a second passport on return to Thailand. If that made any difference i don't know. The original passport is full, so will not be used again. I guess I will never know. I was not questioned anything on departure or arrival.

Immigration denied me a marriage extension because of the volunteer visa earlier. But they actually told me to do a visa run and apply again. They did not tell me to switch passports. That contradicts people being deported in BKK. (Not saying it didn't happen)

Also, if this problem is real i can see a problem with enforcement.. How do they know if the volunteer visa wasn't legit?

Those that had a "proper" one with work permit are not going to carry that around after its expired? Will they also get deported?

idk.  No one had problems leaving or getting into new country.

but friend doing what you did. Getting a new passport in cambodia for return and hoping that solves the issue.

52 minutes ago, Dart12 said:

idk.  No one had problems leaving or getting into new country.

but friend doing what you did. Getting a new passport in cambodia for return and hoping that solves the issue.

Ok. You mentioned Emergency passport. That might be a problem. Normally used to fly Point A to B and return in an emergency. Traveling between other countries where not a citizen is normally not accepted. I have some bad personal experience with this which i wont elaborate on right now..

Also i have trouble understanding how your friend can be deported from Thailand to Cambodia with a US passport? Im not saying its BS, im just confused as i didn't think this was possible?

As for being detained in Cambodia again: When exactly did this happen? You said last week. Before Thursday there was no visa on arrival in Cambodia. He would not even be allowed to board the plane he was deported on? I assume he didn't have time to apply for a Cambodian e-visa while staying 12 hours in "airport jail" in BKK?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, MajorTom said:

Ok. You mentioned Emergency passport. That might be a problem. Normally used to fly Point A to B and return in an emergency. Traveling between other countries where not a citizen is normally not accepted. I have some bad personal experience with this which i wont elaborate on right now..

Actually, the poster said "2nd passport".  That is different from emergency passport, which would normally only get you back to home country.  Second passports are often used by busy expats/executives who might need to send one into a consulate for an extended period but still have to travel elsewhere to other countries for business while the visa in the first passport is being processed(sometimes you have to leave it with them for a few days to a week).  And there is also the issue sometimes of diplomatic reasons (e.g. Israel).

So there exists a 2nd passport program for some countries like the U.S.A.
"

It is routine for the Department of State to authorize a holder of a regular passport to hold, in addition, a diplomatic passport or an official passport or a no-fee passport.

One circumstance which may call for issuance of a second passport of a particular type is a prolonged visa-processing delay. Another is safety or security, such as travel between Israel and a country which refuses to grant entry to a person with a passport which indicates travel to Israel. The period of validity of a second passport issued under either circumstance is generally four years from the date of issue.[79]"

Edited by audaciousnomad
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, audaciousnomad said:

Actually, the poster said "2nd passport".  That is different from emergency passport, which would normally only get you back to home country.  Second passports are often used by busy expats/executives who might need to send one into a consulate for an extended period but still have to travel elsewhere to other countries for business while the visa in the first passport is being processed(sometimes you have to leave it with them for a few days to a week).  And there is also the issue sometimes of diplomatic reasons (e.g. Israel).

So there exists a 2nd passport program for some countries like the U.S.A.
"

It is routine for the Department of State to authorize a holder of a regular passport to hold, in addition, a diplomatic passport or an official passport or a no-fee passport.

One circumstance which may call for issuance of a second passport of a particular type is a prolonged visa-processing delay. Another is safety or security, such as travel between Israel and a country which refuses to grant entry to a person with a passport which indicates travel to Israel. The period of validity of a second passport issued under either circumstance is generally four years from the date of issue.[79]"

I think you are mixing up posters here. I was the one who mentioned 2nd passport. I got one, and I'm fully aware of what it is.

I replied to Dart12 who said his friend was planning to get an emergency passport in Cambodia and return to Thailand. I think that's problematic. If he can get a second passport he would be fine.

• Thanks 1