Plugin or take to the bike as fuel prices soar

webfact

22 minutes ago, ikke1959 said:

A bit late to promote an electric car... Besides if you buy one where can you charge??? almost nowhere a charging point.. In last years Thaikland did not do anything do get greener..

There's a potential charging station really close to your home. Actually, it is your home. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

4 minutes ago, placeholder said:
1 hour ago, ikke1959 said:

A bit late to promote an electric car... Besides if you buy one where can you charge??? almost nowhere a charging point.. In last years Thaikland did not do anything do get greener..

There's a potential charging station really close to your home. Actually, it is your home. 

That's great until you want to get away to (for example) Koh Chang for the weekend.

Notice the government doesn't list all the taxes added onto a

liter of gas and if they did, most of the price is composed of taxes.

If the government truly cared, they would temporarily  drop some of these gas taxes.

You pay a big premium to buy an electric motor or partly electric and the only mechanics

that can work on electric are dealers.

9 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Would need a 200 metre power cord for my flat in Australia, don’t think the neighbours would be pleased, and as for my condo in Thailand on the 21st floor…

3 minutes ago, CygnusX1 said:

Would need a 200 metre power cord for my flat in Australia,

You know what..... electricity starts by being delivered from outside, likely at ground or sub ground level.  Surely a number of charging stations could be created with metering in any car parking area.

1 hour ago, tonray said:

How about driving less

Such as carpool, work at home, use more public mass transit, prioritize use of ICE for errands, etc. The government through state-owned stations can also limit the amount of fuel and/or days a fillup can be done. In the last three decades many Western nations had to deal with the same issue of expoding fuel prices. 

11 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Surely a number of charging stations could be created with metering in any car parking area.

Yes, that will eventually happen, but not for a few years. Also problem of who’s going to pay for construction of the charging station, unfair to charge occupants of a block of flats who don’t have an electric car, or maybe not any car at all.

Edited by CygnusX1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

I am sure those of us rich enough to buy an electric carry must be laughing all the way to the bank as fuel prices jump.

Electricity will follow.. where do you think that comes form and how it's manufactured?

6 minutes ago, CygnusX1 said:

Yes, that will eventually happen, but not for a few years. Also problem of who’s going to pay for it, unfair to charge occupants of a block of flats who don’t have an electric car, or maybe not any car.

Aside from government subsidies, capital costs for building an electric charging station are built into the cost of the charge at the station. Don't charge, Don't pay.

12 minutes ago, CygnusX1 said:

Yes, that will eventually happen, but not for a few years. Also problem of who’s going to pay for construction of the charging station, unfair to charge occupants of a block of flats who don’t have an electric car, or maybe not any car at all.

Do people who live on the lower floors not pay for elevators, or those who do not use the pool contribute to it's maintenance? These stations will become part of the facilities of a condo.... like lights in the lobby. Perhaps a general charge for parking would cover some expenses. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

capital costs for building an electric charging station are built into the cost of the charge at the station. Don't charge, Don't pay.

Don’t tell that to an Australian who has to pay $500 a year fixed electricity charge for “poles and wires”, even if he uses zero electricity.

22 minutes ago, CygnusX1 said:

Would need a 200 metre power cord for my flat in Australia, don’t think the neighbours would be pleased, and as for my condo in Thailand on the 21st floor…

Public charging EV stations in Australia:

https://www.transport.nsw.gov.au/projects/electric-vehicles/charging-an-electric-vehicle/charging-map

Even one in Alice Springs.

2 minutes ago, CygnusX1 said:

Don’t tell that to an Australian who has to pay $500 a year fixed electricity charge for “poles and wires”, even if he uses zero electricity.

Grid power electric costs apply if you are connected to the grid, no matter your usage. If you are "off the grid" you do not pay. Your example doesn't apply.

19 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Electricity will follow.. where do you think that comes form and how it's manufactured?

A good reason to accelerate renewables. Even before the huge spike in fossil fuel prices renewable electricity was already cheaper than coal and on a par with natural gas in most locales. 

2 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

Grid power electric costs apply if you are connected to the grid, no matter your usage. If you are "off the grid" you do not pay. Your example doesn't apply.

But my point is that a massive project to construct charging stations would add to these fixed costs, they’d be another addition to the costs of “poles and wires”. I wasn’t talking about people who are completely off the grid, just about the unfairness of people who only use a small amount of electricity having to pay a huge fixed charge.

4 minutes ago, CygnusX1 said:

Yes, that will eventually happen, but not for a few years. Also problem of who’s going to pay for it, unfair to charge occupants of a block of flats who don’t have an electric car, or maybe not any car.

Australia is its own special basket case when it comes down to the adoption of EV, or indeed the country's entire pathetic approach to the switch to renewables or clean energy.

8 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

Public charging EV stations in Australia

Had a look at your map, a 3km walk to the nearest one for me, and I live in a pretty central area of town. An electric car definitely not possible for me at this time.

1 minute ago, CygnusX1 said:

Had a look at your map, a 3km walk to the nearest one for me, and I live in a pretty central area of town. An electric car definitely not possible for me at this time.

I think the idea is you drive there before the juice runs out!

But my point is that a massive project to construct charging stations would add to these fixed costs, they’d be another addition to the costs of “poles and wires”. I wasn’t talking about people who are completely off the grid, just about the unfairness of people who only use a small amount of electricity having to pay a huge fixed charge.

You are assuming that the capital and maintenance cost of these charging stations would be applied to all consumers of electricity in Thailand. Why do you think that is the case? Why won't these costs be reflected in the price of charging? In fact, it's clearly not the case in many instance since companies like MG are building their own networks of private charging stations. Central is doing the same.

8 minutes ago, placeholder said:

You are assuming that the capital and maintenance cost of these charging stations would be applied to all consumers of electricity in Thailand. Why do you think that is the case? Why won't these costs be reflected in the price of charging?

I was actually talking about Australia, so maybe off topic sorry. Yes, you’re correct that electricity is charged a lot more fairly in Thailand, with only a very small fixed charge.

But it’s not like filling a car with petrol - to charge an electric car even at a rapid charge station takes a long while!

Oh it is a long way from comparable to a car full of petrol, with the well established supply system and range of operation. I hear there is a new technology, capacitive storage, that may be a solution (fast to charge). Hydrogen cells, even nuclear fusion to generate a nations electricity. Solutions for our great grandchildren maybe.....

10 minutes ago, CygnusX1 said:

But it’s not like filling a car with petrol - to charge an electric car even at a rapid charge station takes a long while!

Actually, if you live in a house with electricity, it's definitely not like filling a car with petrol.  Unless your house is also a petrol station.

7 minutes ago, csmith said:

Ummm …. I've been very loyal to Shell in Th for 20 years …. May be time to consider a change

There is a particular one in the Pattaya area needs to be avoided as they don't zero the clocks!