Backpackers’ return brings glimmer of hope for Thailand tourism revival

webfact

I would probably place the back packers above the legions of hi-testosterone, no-helmet wearing, middle-eastern/european hot heads that race their 300cc scooters along the west coast of Phuket and around Patong as if they own the place.

• Like 1

A tourist is a tourist, they all bring much needed foreign currency into a country (any country.)

Backpackers, families, sex tourists, wealthy. Thailand currently needs all they can get.

Inflation means there is less disposable income. It will get worse not better. By the time Thailand opens up without hurdles there will be even less money around.

Europe, possibly most open despite high levels of omicron, is the best bet for now, but nor for long.

Edited by alphonse

I guess they gave up on the rich Indians and Chinese not to mention the billionaires and their yachts.... they were looking at quality VS quantity and make this place a billionaire(s) paradise ... sheer desperation,  now they take whom wants to come not whom they chose to come  555

• Like 2

5 hours ago, thailand49 said:

I'm no expert like TAT???? regardless if one just deal with the pandemic and set a date like June 1st for Endemic, as stated by expert the leaders had 2years get all your medicals needs and procedure in place have a real plan not as you go!  

Open the place up as before with required vaccination, even a PCR,  drop all the corrupt nonsense I take a guess isn't this how it is done by these leaders???? Within two weeks the airport would be packed it would be so crowded if not prepared you would have a shortage of workers and hotel rooms. ????

The unelected soldier PM and his Junta must know that as soon as the country opens up, the protesters will descend on Bangkok again, though this time in much more numbers than before.

• Like 2

But I thought that this Government/TAT didn't want this type of visitor?

Did I not read that they only want "quality tourists" - millionaires with money to burn type people? Not "dirty unwashed farangs"?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ROGER DUNN said:

A While back the LOS wanted to get Rid of the Backpackers for More Quality Tourists , Now they can’t wait to have them back !

Sorry, you beat me to it - hence my later post in  a similar vein!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Jiggo said:

I knew someone will come out with that one, at least backpackers cash helps small family Thais business directly, going to guest houses, laundry's, eatery's etc. and not into big business consortium's only interested in profit margins and paying minimum salary's. 

I think the post was a sarcastic dig at TAT, and their previous comments re wanting "quality tourists"! The poster will probably agree with what you are saying!

2 hours ago, possum1931 said:

The unelected soldier PM and his Junta must know that as soon as the country opens up, the protesters will descend on Bangkok again, though this time in much more numbers than before.

That might be the case but actually what are they protesting? Sure the numbers are growing they will decent and there will be disruption but when I listen it isn't clear how much are they willing to sacrifice their lives?  They want more democracy their leaders? Who what?  what is the plan? If they can actually topple the government these kids protestors parents are part of the system how far are they willing if they want it bad enough don't let the virus stop you. Nothing is going to change from my view.

Edited by thailand49
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, whereyougo said:

People are confusing new wave of backpackers to the smelly unwashed back from decades ago living on a Dollar a day. 

Today's version covers all ages from teen to grannies. They pack out the vegetarian cafes and the markets and they do have $$$

They were called Flash Packers. Many were retirees with money that liked to backpack around, away from the tourist hubs. They were good tourists for Thailand, spent well and respected culture and local people.

• Thanks 1

I have nothing against backpakers but the fact is that 2+ years ago I had the (unfortunate) opportunity of meeting and dealing with some of them, they arrived here with bare minimum cash and other items, they kept asking/begging for help, preferable cash, lived a good life and to get back home they created gofundme accounts claiming this and that just trying to get people sensibilized to their "poor me" cause, I know what I am talking about as was, unfortunately,  directly involved, luckily I didn't advance any cash but (stupid) me did pay for a couple meals

• Sad 1

50 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

I have nothing against backpakers but the fact is that 2+ years ago I had the (unfortunate) opportunity of meeting and dealing with some of them, they arrived here with bare minimum cash and other items, they kept asking/begging for help, preferable cash, lived a good life and to get back home they created gofundme accounts claiming this and that just trying to get people sensibilized to their "poor me" cause, I know what I am talking about as was, unfortunately,  directly involved, luckily I didn't advance any cash but (stupid) me did pay for a couple meals

I'm sure a couple of meals wouldn't break your bank! I've been "conned" a couple of times by Thai "ladies", but hold no grudges - just put it down to experience and never let it happen again! (Up to now!) 

• Like 1

Ah, now we see the saviors of the high class hotels and restaurants arriving just as the TAT and the other tourist departments had predicted. The sex industry will stay closed down, Pattaya will become the family resort and the carnage on the roads will end.

What next, Red Bull boy in jail?

Planet Thailand...

• Haha 1

On 3/12/2022 at 9:46 AM, Jiggo said:

I knew someone will come out with that one, at least backpackers cash helps small family Thais business directly, going to guest houses, laundry's, eatery's etc. and not into big business consortium's only interested in profit margins and paying minimum salary's. 

True that, but that is not really helping the economy. These type of business pay no to minimal tax if any.

• Confused 1

My first trip to Thailand was as a back packer and I have been back many times since then.

I did find the country to be interesting, and spent part of my trips visiting different temples,

but more, different museums, in Bangkok. I was glad that my friends who had been to Thailand 4 times, were great guides,

and the trip was enjoyable having 2 other people who talked good English, to chat with in the evenings.

The song one night in Bangkok was a lot newer then as well. The Eagles, Stampeders, were new bands back then

as well, so the music was good, and buying a cassette was very cheap. Welcome Back,  Backpackers.!

• Like 1

On 3/12/2022 at 5:57 AM, vandeventer said:

But it is good news, think back, most of us started as backpackers. This is how we learn about countries and they learn about us. It is not just about money it's about sharing friendship in this crazy world.

My point exactly. I first arrived as a backpacker and have since paid more tax than the average Thai person would pay in a lifetime. I’m not bragging about my perceived wealth, I just refuse to ever knock backpackers who put all their money into the local economy.

• Like 2