Backpackers’ return brings glimmer of hope for Thailand tourism revival

webfact

4 hours ago, Straight8 said:

True that, but that is not really helping the economy. These type of business pay no to minimal tax if any.

So the small businesses, street traders, family run places who live off the proceeds and contribute to the running of the economy are meaningless in your opinion.

54 minutes ago, Fairynuff said:

My point exactly. I first arrived as a backpacker and have since paid more tax than the average Thai person would pay in a lifetime. I’m not bragging about my perceived wealth, I just refuse to ever knock backpackers who put all their money into the local economy.

This is all good and I take my hat off to you, but you know the average Thai tax payer doesn't pay much tax at all. So when they are retired they all wonder why they get so little money.

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, Straight8 said:

True that, but that is not really helping the economy. These type of business pay no to minimal tax if any.

But they do pay taxes indirectly when they buy stuff or use the services of other businesses/ It also means that they staff the employ will also spend which is a knock on effect down the line.

They need the business far more than the big conglomerates.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, vandeventer said:

This is all good and I take my hat off to you, but you know the average Thai tax payer doesn't pay much tax at all. So when they are retired they all wonder why they get so little money.

Could that be because they don't earn enough to pay tax?

https://www.expat.hsbc.com/expat-explorer/expat-guides/thailand/tax-in-thailand/

2020 income tax rates
Taxable income band THB    National income tax rates
500,001 to 750,000                 15%
750,001 to 1,000,000              20%
1,000,001 to 2,000,000           25%
2,000,001 to 5,000,000          30%

It seems as though you need to earn a minimum of 41,666.75 baht per month before you pay tax and I think that more than 55% of the workers earn that much.

If you assume that the minimum wage is 350 thb/day, a 6 day week and a 24 working day month will get you the princely sum of 8,400 thb/month. A far cry from the 41,666 baht needed to pay 15% tax.

Edited by billd766
Tidied it up a bit
  • Thanks 1

On 3/11/2022 at 10:57 PM, vandeventer said:

But it is good news, think back, most of us started as backpackers. This is how we learn about countries and they learn about us. It is not just about money it's about sharing friendship in this crazy world.

absolutely, and in those days it really was an adventure, communication with home was via postcards or making international calls from phones in post offices - when you could find them. you really could submerge yourself in the culture. backpackers are often disparaged on this forum but it is the most amazing way to travel, meet people; local and other backpackers from around the world, and really experience other countries and cultures

11 hours ago, Straight8 said:

Yes the Generals must be gutted that people are buying food with their money.

On 3/11/2022 at 8:15 PM, webfact said:

After months of absence, Chiang Mai’s waterfalls, night markets and hostels are once again filling up with a familiar sight: backpackers.

Thank the Lord!  Just what Thailand needs to kick start it's economy.  Don't get me wrong, every dollar helps but I doubt the plethora  of five star hotels will be jumping in joy just yet.