77-year-old female pedestrian dies after being hit by a speeding motorbike rider in Chonburi

webfact

275633235_2916148925343459_5502881569352433346_n-696x393.jpg

PHOTO: Dragon Rescue 72

By Goong Nang(GN)

Chonburi – A 77-year-old pedestrian has been pronounced dead at the scene after being hit by a motorbike in Mueang Chonburi district.

The Don Hualor Police was notified of the accident on Suk Prayoon Road in the Don Hualor sub-district this week. They arrived at the scene to find Mrs. Airikanya Hiraorayoonpong, 77, unconscious on the road. She was later pronounced dead at the scene by emergency responders.

Nearby, rescue workers found a damaged motorbike. The driver, Mr. Chatphon Panthong, 27, admitted to speeding and told Dragon Rescue services, “I was driving at about 100 kilometers per hour when the pedestrian crossed the road.

Keep up to date with all things Thailand - Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

Full story: https://thepattayanews.com/2022/03/13/77-year-old-female-pedestrian-dies-after-being-hit-by-a-speeding-motorbike-rider-in-chonburi/

PattayaNews.jpg

-- © Copyright The Pattaya News 2022-03-14

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Sad 5

4 hours ago, webfact said:

“I was driving at about 100 kilometers per hour when the pedestrian crossed the road.

Not being a motorbike rider , I'd be interested to know from those who do what sort of damage would occur to a rider hitting someone at 100 kmh an hour.

3 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

Not being a motorbike rider , I'd be interested to know from those who do what sort of damage would occur to a rider hitting someone at 100 kmh an hour.

Probably very little if their muscles were relaxed thro being drunk which is not stated here.

Edited by Excel
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, ChrisY1 said:

Found this piece, however, it refers to being struck by a car....

"pedestrians have been shown to have a 90% chance of survival when struck by a car travelling at 30 km/h or below, but less than 50% chance of surviving an impact at 45 km/h. Pedestrians have almost no chance of surviving an impact at 80 km/hr."

Yes but what @RichardColeman asked is what injuries would the bike rider suffer at that speed ?, hence my reply

1 hour ago, RichardColeman said:

The kind of damage that kills a 77 Years Old Lady crossing the Street is the answer to that question.

RIP Lady

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

The kind of damage that kills a 77 Years Old Lady crossing the Street is the answer to that question.

RIP Lady

Obviously my point is going over your head ! My question is, surely hitting someone at that speed (100kmh) on a bike would not just be detrimental to the lady they killed but put them in ICU also. I would also imagine he was NOT going that speed, but slower and saying he was faster to make the old lady look worse. Hence my question

From link Chatphon suffered only minor injuries and was wearing a helmet.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

It's pretty obvious that they should not be allowed big bikes as they are not responsible enough, competent to ride them, belligerent or a combination of all three.

I think the government has the right idea about stricter, separate licensing for big bike riders, but I'm sure the implementation and system will be where it will fall down and it will not make any difference. Coupled with an almost complete lack of enforcement, I can't see the Thais being able to sort this. Maybe they need to admit defeat and seek outside help, from experts in the UK for example. 

Meanwhile there are more big bikes on the road than ever, less skilled riders than ever and these big bike fatality stories are a daily occurrence here in this news section.

• Confused 1

From  a quick look at the newsarticle, I don't see any pedestrian crossing there and it certainly doesn't seem like a place to be crossing the road in the dark? RIP old lady, but people seem very quick to blame these "big bike riders" without knowing the circumstances. 

Reckless riding, but what about reckless crossing of the road? I've had pedestrians run in front of me from between cars on 80km/h roads that have pedestrian bridges right above the road. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SS1 said:

From  a quick look at the newsarticle, I don't see any pedestrian crossing there and it certainly doesn't seem like a place to be crossing the road in the dark? RIP old lady, but people seem very quick to blame these "big bike riders" without knowing the circumstances. 

Reckless riding, but what about reckless crossing of the road? I've had pedestrians run in front of me from between cars on 80km/h roads that have pedestrian bridges right above the road. 

THAILAND ROAD TRAFFIC ACT,
B.E. 2522 (1979)

Section 32. In using the road the driver shall be careful in avoiding the conveyance not to hit or graze a pedestrian, notwithstanding at any part of the path, and must give warning signal for the pedestrian to be aware when it is necessary, in particular, a child, elder person, or the disabled using the road, the driver must take special care in controlling his or her conveyance. 

Edited by Mr Meeseeks

5 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Obviously my point is going over your head ! My question is, surely hitting someone at that speed (100kmh) on a bike would not just be detrimental to the lady they killed but put them in ICU also. I would also imagine he was NOT going that speed, but slower and saying he was faster to make the old lady look worse. Hence my question

From link Chatphon suffered only minor injuries and was wearing a helmet.

She accelerated from 0 to 100kph very rapidly, I suspect he kept moving and decelerated much slower. Quite possible he would escape without major injuries. 

On 3/14/2022 at 10:00 AM, SS1 said:

Yeh, a 77 year old doing the dash across a busy road was at fault. 

Zzzzz. Bong. Try again. 

So the bike rider was going at 100kmh.

Is the speed limit 80 kmh on Thailands streets ?... If I’m not mistaken the speed limit in Bangkok is 80kmh and there are area’s where that is readily achievable. 

The issue of course is once again crossing the road.

- Was the bike coming so quickly that the lady simply failed to judge its speed ?

- Did the lady cross the road without looking ?

- Was the motorcyclist traveling so fast he couldn’t stop ?

- Was the road so poorly lit the motorcyclists didn’t see the pedestrian ?

- Was the pedestrian crossing at a sensible spot ?

---------

I know, I know, some of the above is potentially victim blaming and its going to draw criticism (as above (Mr Meeseeks). However, when riding a motorcycle and in driving a car I have borne witness to some utterly unimaginable lack of traffic awareness by those around me on the roads....  from vehicles without lights pottering down the road in pitch black at 20km to people wearing dark closes in pitch black walking in the road, to people suddenly darting out in front of you from behind parked vehicles... etc etc 

Looking at the road - thats not a great place to cross., but there is no pedestrian bridge. 

Also, looking at the road and the businesses at the side of it etc - that is not a stretch of road where anyone should be riding / driving quickly. 

I’d consider 3 areas of fault. 

- Motorcyclists speeding.

- Lady not paying full attention.

- Road design allowing for speeding traffic in the first place and no reasonable crossing area. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Zzzzz. Bong. Try again. 

Have a look at the photo of the road on the original article. It's a 4 lane road with a raised middle section. Certainly not a spot where you'd expect someone to be crossing the road without looking (other than TiT, of course). Even going within the speed limit of 80km/h in the dark, someone crossing in a place like that with dark clothes can be very hard to spot. 

7 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Zzzzz. Bong. Try again. 

One of my least favorite places to drive in BKK was Rama 4 near the Klong Toey market.  That's because there were always idiots doing the dash across the busy road right there, and I could never predict which innocent looking old lady was the next to jump out in front of moving traffic.

Statistics, the odds, and good brakes were on my side.  But I couldn't tell you 100% that I was never going to run anyone over, no matter how careful I was.