COVID-19: Thailand reports 19,742 new coronavirus cases, 70 deaths, 24,125 recoveries

webfact

COV15.jpg

File photo

Thailand on Tuesday (March 15) reported 19,742 new COVID-19 cases, 24,125 recoveries and 70 additional deaths over the past 24 hours. 

Tuesday’s cases bring the total number of COVID-19 infections in Thailand to 3,226,697 with 23,848 deaths.

The news comes as the Thai Medical Sciences Department has found four possible cases of infection by the BA.2.2 strain of the COVID-19 Omicron sub-variant in Thailand, but has asked the public not to panic because BA.2.2 is not yet regarded as a variant of concern, said the department’s head, Dr. Supakit Sirilak today (Monday).

The strain was found in one foreigner and three Thais, with confirmation still pending. He said, presently, there is insufficient information to assess the severity or transmissibility of the strain accurately.*

*Thai PBS contributed to this report

Discover Cigna’s range of health insurance solutions created for expats and local nationals living in Thailand - click to view

Keep up to date with all things Thailand - Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

Asean-now_Covid-Dashboard-Stats-Graphic-Template-Thailand-(update15MAR).png

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-03-15

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

I know that this is just anecdotal, but so far this morning a neighbor two houses down was hospitalized and a teacher two floors down was just diagnosed with covid. 

During the previous waves I didn't know anyone who was sick, but this time it seems like I am surrounded by people catching it!

• Like 2

Newly reported COVID cases, both official and unofficial, fell on Tuesday to their lowest levels of the past week, even as serious COVID cases in hospital and patients requiring intubation to breathe both showed large increases to once again set new record highs for the year.

Tuesday's official new COVID case count of 19,742 marked the first time in the past week that the case count fell under 20,000. And the number of unofficial cases, based on positive ATK tests, fell sharply to only 13,008.

However, new COVID deaths at 70 remained near the daily record high for the year. And the current number of serious COVID cases in hospital (1,390) plus intubated COVID patients (476) both continued their steady upward climb to once again set new record highs for the year.

Meanwhile, Tuesday's new cases tally was enough to push Thailand past the 1 million mark for official COVID cases reported since the start of the year, and 3.2 million since the start of the pandemic in early 2020.

1770698869_Daily2022-03-15a.jpg.38cb43dcedbf0d84946ac3b242070dd0.jpg

807732174_Daily2022-03-15b.jpg.226d3aa4ef93cb3a7e86a6107711c48e.jpg

1709112358_Dash2022-03-15.jpg.7fecce1d1c8709acfa5ba4d0fa0358c3.jpg

https://ddc.moph.go.th/covid19-dashboard/?dashboard=main

691163489_Dash2022-03-15a.thumb.jpg.f3a393d5bab8d5b6577db2b6a5d9aa36.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/informationcovid19/posts/522191586065837

For added context, during the peak of the Delta wave last fall, Thailand's daily COVID case count topped out at 23,418, but the numbers of serious hospital cases and intubated patients peaked above 5,600 and 1,100 respectively, and daily deaths topped 300 for a brief period.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Thanks 2

Another drop from the 213 cases reported on 14th March.

Health officials on Tuesday (Mar 15) reported 155 new COVID-19 cases in Prachuap Khiri Khan province, of which 39 cases were found in Hua Hin.

Elsewhere in the province, 25 cases were found in Pranburi, 8 cases in Sam Roi Yot, 3 cases in Kuiburi, 11 cases in Thap Sakae, 14 cases in Bang Saphan, 2 cases in Bang Saphan Noi, and 53 cases in Mueang Prachuap Khiri Khan.

No new COVID-19 related deaths were reported in the province today.

https://www.huahintoday.com/hua-hin-news/mar-15-prachuap-reports-155-new-covid-19-cases-39-cases-in-hua-hin/

9 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Unfortunately, I do not believe the new numbers listed today except the deaths.  This variant is spreading like wildfire, I know from personal experience.

Your right, in my town  up in north of Chiang Mai so many have covid. The hospital sends you home  to self quarantine .Now ,they have a good look at you and if you don't look so bad they give you a herbal mix to take home but if you look not so good they give you medicine.

10 hours ago, Callmeishmael said:

I know that this is just anecdotal, but so far this morning a neighbor two houses down was hospitalized and a teacher two floors down was just diagnosed with covid. 

During the previous waves I didn't know anyone who was sick, but this time it seems like I am surrounded by people catching it!

Me too. I keep hearing of people who have caught all over the country and others who are isolating at home because someone at work or school tested positive.

One of the wife's friends has got it for the third time.  He has had alpha, delta and now omicron. His entire extended family have all had it at least once and his aunt died of it.  He caught the first dose after two shots of AZ and is now boosted. He is 40 without other health issues. So much for herd immunity. 

Thailand reports 23,945 new COVID-19 cases, 70 deaths, 23,339 recoveries

COV16.jpg

File photo Tai PBS

Thailand on Wednesday (March 16) reported 23,945 new COVID-19 cases, 23,339 recoveries and 70 additional deaths over the past 24 hours. 

Full story: https://aseannow.com/topic/1253604-thailand-reports-23945-new-covid-19-cases-70-deaths-23339-recoveries/

//CLOSED//

/Admin