Thai elderly can choose half dose COVID vaccine boosters to reduce side effects

webfact

1 hour ago, RichardColeman said:

Ah, a 'make the vaccine go twice as far and save money' proposal !

th?id=OIP.IB3I79BGu9qx0_CPk52NPwAAAA&pid=Api&P=0&w=112&h=153

Standard practice for boosters in the US.  The way they were saving vaccine was the under the skin injection.  I have not heard how that went, information seems to have disappeared or is not being disseminated. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I recall a while ago reading about using a half dose.  It was for certain circumstances.  I also have not heard anything lately about using half doses.  Hopefully soon it can be just a once a year ritual like a flu vaccine. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I persuaded the GF to get two shots of Sinopharm last year (all that was on offer) and she was fine afterwards. For some unfathomable reason, she's since refused my attempts to get her to have a Pfizer or Moderna booster. It's got nothing to do with side-effects, in fact I have no idea why she's refused. And now the daft bat has got a dose of Omicron caught at her workplace. Serves her right, I told her she needed a booster that would be effective against Omicron, but the reply was always, 'Later, later...'

• Haha 2

After a successful door to door campaign by volunteers and some persuasion by the Pyu Ban (my wife's nephew), I'm told that everyone in the village (around 500) have now had their 3rd vaccination. So campaigns do work, but it's probably much easier in a small community where peer pressure can be applied as opposed  the urban environment.

It's now over 3 months since my 1st (AZ+AZ primary doses) moderna booster and I am now in the vaccine window for my 4th dose. I have 2 of the health conditions so I feel it would be prudent of me not too tempt fate and to have a booster of either Moderna or Pfizer. My previous shots were at my local hospital and were advertised as available on social media. This time silence from the hospital Facebook/Line. Is there a govt. policy of 2nd (4th dose) booster for those with higher health risks? 

2 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

1/2 a dose as a booster is standard practice in the US unless your elderly and have an autoimmune disease or are in one of the 7 medical condition classes, such as a diabetic......I took a full Moderna booster in Late January when I was in the US, had to specifically tell the pharmacist at the pharmacy I went to or else I would have gotten the half dose. 

Please explain what is rubbish. Do you not believe in the vaccines or are you a non believer in Covid.

Hi Bloke. I believe in tried and tested (long term testing) vaccines, and I have certainly had a few vaccines in my days.

I'm not overly sold on vaccines and testing that pretty much popped up overnight.

As to my "rubbish" comment, it is a global comment, not specific to Thailand where I am living.

I'm 2× Pfizer and awaiting expiration of the currently mandated 6 month wait for boost.

Meanwhile, in Aus at least, Pfizer booster was brought back to 3 months. "Experts" are still extolling the virtues of 0, 2, 3, 4, or annual jabs. 

It all seems to be dependent on what page the internet selects for you or who is producing and providing these vaccines.

I had never heard of half doses until this thread.

Sure, Covid is out there and some govt's have found it to be the perfect opportunity to scare the living daylights out of their populations. Fear generally allows one to be controlled.

In my humble opinion, this seems to be one gigantic global cluster****.

Just out of interest, what is the defenition of "elderly" in the  states?

Cheers

9 minutes ago, Lucky Bones said:

Hi Bloke. I believe in tried and tested (long term testing) vaccines, and I have certainly had a few vaccines in my days.

I'm not overly sold on vaccines and testing that pretty much popped up overnight.

As to my "rubbish" comment, it is a global comment, not specific to Thailand where I am living.

I'm 2× Pfizer and awaiting expiration of the currently mandated 6 month wait for boost.

Meanwhile, in Aus at least, Pfizer booster was brought back to 3 months. "Experts" are still extolling the virtues of 0, 2, 3, 4, or annual jabs. 

It all seems to be dependent on what page the internet selects for you or who is producing and providing these vaccines.

I had never heard of half doses until this thread.

Sure, Covid is out there and some govt's have found it to be the perfect opportunity to scare the living daylights out of their populations. Fear generally allows one to be controlled.

In my humble opinion, this seems to be one gigantic global cluster****.

Just out of interest, what is the defenition of "elderly" in the  states?

Cheers

Adios, Calling me Bloke adds to your inability to have a open dialogue, and your irrelevant post and lack of true understanding bore me, I do live in Thailand and have for many many years.  Do some research and do not extol that the internet brings up what it thinks you want.  Try something other than google, its not your friend, run a vpn and block all ads as well as cookies.  Try finding a browser that actually does not direct you to a MSM location...As I said Adios. Read the two attached links, you might learn something.

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseases/coronavirus/booster-shots-and-third-doses-for-covid19-vaccines-what-you-need-to-know

A COVID-19 booster is given when a person has completed their vaccine series, and protection against the virus has decreased over time. Depending on the original series you had, some details will vary. Please review the booster eligibility information above and talk to your health care provider if you are not sure if you meet these guidelines. Please note, if you receive the Moderna booster, you will receive half of the original Moderna dose.

An additional dose is administered to people with moderately to severely compromised immune systems. This additional dose is intended to improve immunocompromised people’s response to their initial vaccine series. Depending on the original series given, some details will vary. Please review the additional dose eligibility information and talk to your health care provider if you are not sure if you meet these guidelines.

https://www.rivm.nl/en/covid-19-vaccination/questions-and-background-information/booster-vaccination

Why is a half-dose used for the Moderna booster vaccination?

It is not uncommon to use a smaller dose for a booster vaccination than for the basic series.
When that happens, it is because a smaller dose is sufficient for the immune system to be boosted. In this case, a half-dose is enough to achieve a good immune response. A half-dose may also cause fewer side-effects.

In the clinical trials for the Moderna booster vaccination, a half-dose (of 50 micrograms) was given 6 to 8 months after the basic series. The results showed that it provided a good boost to the immune system. The European Medicines Agency (EMA) then approved the booster vaccination with a half-dose of Moderna (and only for that half-dose).
The clinical trials for Pfizer only looked at a booster vaccination with the same dose (30 micrograms). This dose has been approved by the EMA for use in the booster campaign. There are no research results available on whether a lower dose of Pfizer would provide the same strong immune response in a booster vaccination.

4 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

1/2 a dose as a booster is standard practice in the US unless your elderly and have an autoimmune disease or are in one of the 7 medical condition classes, such as a diabetic......I took a full Moderna booster in Late January when I was in the US, had to specifically tell the pharmacist at the pharmacy I went to or else I would have gotten the half dose. 

Please explain what is rubbish. Do you not believe in the vaccines or are you a non believer in Covid.

I think they are color codding them,  red=1/2 dose is for 18 and younger and blue= full dose is for over 18. So I guess those with problems can take a red one. 

Edited by vandeventer

5 hours ago, swm59nj said:

I recall a while ago reading about using a half dose.  It was for certain circumstances.  I also have not heard anything lately about using half doses.  Hopefully soon it can be just a once a year ritual like a flu vaccine. 

The small doses were for the young, as in children.

Side effects when they happen tend to be in the 'younger adults', not the elederly.

That's what they said last year anyway but maybe that changed?

Anybody spot an article in that English daily Thai newspaper about the Covid situation in Vietnam?

98% of the population reported as being fully vaccinated. Number of new cases over 200,000 a day (population 90m ish). True to form the newspapers journos seemed to miss the rather worrying implication of those stats, instead focusing on the opening up of the country to tourists

Edited by SantiSuk
typo

6 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Adios, Calling me Bloke adds to your inability to have a open dialogue, and your irrelevant post and lack of true understanding bore me, I do live in Thailand and have for many many years.  Do some research and do not extol that the internet brings up what it thinks you want.  Try something other than google, its not your friend, run a vpn and block all ads as well as cookies.  Try finding a browser that actually does not direct you to a MSM location...As I said Adios. Read the two attached links, you might learn something.

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseases/coronavirus/booster-shots-and-third-doses-for-covid19-vaccines-what-you-need-to-know

A COVID-19 booster is given when a person has completed their vaccine series, and protection against the virus has decreased over time. Depending on the original series you had, some details will vary. Please review the booster eligibility information above and talk to your health care provider if you are not sure if you meet these guidelines. Please note, if you receive the Moderna booster, you will receive half of the original Moderna dose.

An additional dose is administered to people with moderately to severely compromised immune systems. This additional dose is intended to improve immunocompromised people’s response to their initial vaccine series. Depending on the original series given, some details will vary. Please review the additional dose eligibility information and talk to your health care provider if you are not sure if you meet these guidelines.

https://www.rivm.nl/en/covid-19-vaccination/questions-and-background-information/booster-vaccination

Why is a half-dose used for the Moderna booster vaccination?

It is not uncommon to use a smaller dose for a booster vaccination than for the basic series.
When that happens, it is because a smaller dose is sufficient for the immune system to be boosted. In this case, a half-dose is enough to achieve a good immune response. A half-dose may also cause fewer side-effects.

In the clinical trials for the Moderna booster vaccination, a half-dose (of 50 micrograms) was given 6 to 8 months after the basic series. The results showed that it provided a good boost to the immune system. The European Medicines Agency (EMA) then approved the booster vaccination with a half-dose of Moderna (and only for that half-dose).
The clinical trials for Pfizer only looked at a booster vaccination with the same dose (30 micrograms). This dose has been approved by the EMA for use in the booster campaign. There are no research results available on whether a lower dose of Pfizer would provide the same strong immune response in a booster vaccination.

Oh Dear.

You take the angry pill today instead of the happy pill?

Lighten up and try to ease up on the preachings.

Don't risk a heart attack while smashing the keyboard????

• Haha 2

The idea that MDNA vaccines are brand new, green, not tested vaccines, is pure bunk. LB.    I have

a few relatives who said they would only get the old fashioned vaccines, and one of them does not have to now, as he caught COVID 

and died.  I phoned the other two holdups, and asked them if they had heard from him, and should call his phone number.

Well They called me back and were upset, but surprise, the both of them went out and got their shots. My cousins wife let them know

how he went to the hospital, and her and his children were not able to say bye to him.  

15 hours ago, Lucky Bones said:

Oh Dear.

You take the angry pill today instead of the happy pill?

Lighten up and try to ease up on the preachings.

Don't risk a heart attack while smashing the keyboard????

No one was preaching to anyone. No misinformation posted except yours.

Edited by ThailandRyan