Help Young Expat Hit with Stage 4 Cancer

webfact

14 hours ago, impulse said:

What makes you believe that would cover him for a pre-existing condition?

Theoretically a US citizen could assume residence somewhere in the US and get coverage under an ACA (Obamacare) policy within a month of applying.  You can get one of those policies regardless of pre-existing conditions.  However that can be difficult to do if you've been abroad for a long time since you need to have money to move back and you might not have any connection to any particular place in the US anymore. 

Edited by suzannegoh

If the story is legit at all, it’s probably the immuno drug that they are talking about is most of the cost and it's not an FDA-approved treatment.  There are cancer clinics in Thailand, similar to ones in Tijuana, that charge thousands of dollars per week for cures that “the government doesn’t want you to know about”.  Some of those treatments are legit drugs that are under clinical trials elsewhere in the world but in many cases they are offering things like Vitamin C infusions and Coffee Enemas for even more money than what chemotherapy would cost in the West.  Few insurance policies, Thai or Western, will cover any of that. 

Edited by suzannegoh
  • Like 1

On 3/16/2022 at 8:15 PM, Sheryl said:

This is absolutely untrue.

Almost all do. Mine certainly does.

Many TV members have had their cancer care costs fully paid by their insurers.

Coverage for specific types of treatments, especially very new or experimental ones, may not be covered but I don't think i have ever seen an insurance policy with a blanket exclusion on cancer.

Hi Sheryl, I've never had any cancer coverage on any of my policies over 15 years here?

And as far as the Thai SS coverage, we witnessed a young (25-30 y/o) Thai woman (colleague of my wife) with Ovarian cancer die at a Chiang Mai Hospital. They said she needed 2 million Baht of imported chemo drugs to save her which government insurance won't cover. They gave her Morphine until she passed.

Edited by elektrified

12 minutes ago, elektrified said:

Hi Sheryl, I've never had any cancer coverage on any of my policies over 15 years here?

And as far as the Thai SS coverage, we witnessed a young (25-30 y/o) Thai woman (colleague of my wife) with Ovarian cancer die at a Chiang Mai Hospital. They said she needed 2 million Baht of imported chemo drugs to save her which government insurance won't cover. They gave her Morphine until she passed.

And that 2M Baht for the chemo drugs was probably at least 2X what they cost in the US.

yes, people from around the world travel to the USA just to buy medicines and bring them back home for treatment. With airfare some $1k, visa and many other expenses it's still cheaper, than importing by official channels (which involves special permissions, VAT, duty tax and might take long time).

The picture in the article started to puzzle me now - how asymptomatic patient has to have oxygen tubes in his nose? Nebulisation involves cover for nose and mouth. Strange that.

Also stage 4 would have some symptoms for long already, as it develops over many years. How those symptoms were not checked early on, on onset?

Edited by internationalism
  • Like 1