What's a good nearby country to apply for a tourist visa?

Has anyone gotten a tourist visa nearby recently? What was your experience? Where would you recommend?

My husband's job is ending on April 1 and his WP and our visas will be cancelled at that time. We would really like to go somewhere nearby to get a 60-day tourist visa (that we'll extend once to 90 days), so we can be tourists and have more time to pack up and close up our affairs. 

Thanks!

Edited by Jamie1234

Couple of reports of people going to Phnom Penh with success.

Someone posted information re Vietnam opening soon/now.

For me I would choose Saigon if possible. 

Small helpful consulate and a great city.

Also an option to just bounce for visa exempt return and extend by 30 and hopefully some land borders will be open soon to do the same again..

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

On 3/18/2022 at 9:10 AM, Dart12 said:

Your goal is to stay in Thailand longer?  if so, how long you seeking?

or you purposely looking to travel first and come back?

Just to stay in Thailand a bit longer (like 3 months), but we're also not opposed to traveling around now that it's getting easier

Edited by Jamie1234
  • Like 1

On 3/18/2022 at 11:43 AM, audaciousnomad said:
COVID-19 ENTRY REQUIREMENTS & RESTRICTIONS
With Effect 17th March 2022
Current as of reading (this post will be updated as and when there are any changes)
If you are providing information or news please link it to a reliable source, no rumours, no fake news. failure to adhere will result in the post or comment being removed.

• Cambodia's land and sea borders currently remain closed to entry of foreigners without prior authorisation, but you can still fly into Phnom Penh, Siem Reap or Sihanoukville. (Hopefully there will be updates about this in the near future).

1. VISA’s – How to obtain a Visa:
Visa on Arrival - All Visa types available (A, B, C, E, T, K). Select the Visa type you require when filling out the Immigration Card, pay fee at VOA counter upon arrival, receive Visa, proceed to passport control
Visa in Advance - All Visa types available (A, B, C, E, T, K). Apply for the Visa type you require in advance from the Cambodian Embassy/Consulate accredited to the country you are in. Be advised that supporting documentation criteria requirements apply.
e-Visa (T-type) - Tourists can also apply for the e-Visa (electronic online Tourist Visa) at www.evisa.gov.kh
e-Visa (E-type) Taiwanese passport holders only are eligible to apply for the E-type (Ordinary) Visa online at https://www.evisa.gov.kh/
Visa Exempt Entry - for ASEAN and other eligible passport holders (refer to Visa exempt entry list in the pictures).

2. PRE-FLIGHT PCR TEST:
There is no requirement for any travellers to Cambodia to have any form of pre-flight COVID-19 test for entry to Cambodia.
Travellers still need to check and meet the requirements of any transit destinations.

3. COVID-19 VACCINATION CARD/CERTIFICATE:
All fully vaccinated travellers are required to present their vaccination card/certificate in order to be eligible for quarantine free entry.
  • Confirmation of complete vaccination status
  • Final dose required to have been administered at least 14 days prior to arrival
  • Must state:
- Travellers Name
- Type of Vaccine
- Date of vaccination's
*NOTE: Must be hard copy (not digital on phone/tablet), if it is a card then make a colour photocopy, if digital then print out in colour.
Discussion thread here...

4. PRE-BOOKED ASQ HOTEL or DEPOSIT PAYABLE UPON ARRIVAL:
All UNVACCINATED foreigners must have either a pre-booked ASQ Hotel or pay a deposit at a designated bank on arrival to cover quarantine related expenses. (Note: Many airlines require travellers to have this in cash).
Deposit Amount (if no pre booked ASQ hotel) = USD$2000
  • This does not apply to nationals of Cambodia travelling on a Cambodian passport, or foreign passport with K-type (Special) Visa.
  • This does not apply to passengers with an A-type (Diplomatic) or B-type (Official) Visa.
  • Nationals of Cambodia travelling on a Cambodian passport, or foreign passport with K-type (Special) Visa can quarantine for free at a Government quarantine facility, or opt for hotel quarantine at their own expense.
  • General foreigners quarantine expenses will be deducted from the deposit, or paid directly to the hotel if pre-booked.
  • A (Diplomatic) or B (Official) -type Visa holders can quarantine at an approved residence as arranged by the Embassy or IO, or pre-book their quarantine at one of the ASQ Hotels.
For details of ASQ Hotels check this thread...

5. COVID-19 TESTING ON ARRIVAL:
There is no COVID-19 testing of travellers on arrival.

6. QUARANTINE PERIODS:
  • No Quarantine: Fully Vaccinated Travellers
  • 14 Day Quarantine: for all travellers who have not had a complete course of the required COVID-19 vaccination at least 14 days prior to arrival.
  • Children: Unvaccinated under 18-year-olds travelling as part of a family group, will be quarantined in accordance with the period that applies to their parents.

7. COVID-19 Insurance:
Foreign Travellers are encouraged to to purchase the Forte COVID-19 Insurance, however it is not mandatory

274725455_10161806513313569_1432988854123980163_n.jpg.cb4b98efec077a808e53b07e895784f1.jpg

Thank you so much! It sounds like Cambodia is where we'll head. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Jamie1234 said:

Just to stay in Thailand a bit longer (like 3 months), but we're also not opposed to traveling around now that it's getting easier

You can get a 3 month ED visa for 25k without having to leave the country and come back.  It's about the same as what it costs to travel and come back now.  

I looked into visa run vs getting ED visa. 

After all costs it was about 20-25k for one week away and all the flights and tests, not even considering  paperwork or the chance of being asymptomatic and having to quarantine for 2 weeks for 100k at my expense if I run into bad luck.

For me, having a lease and everything, it made sense to stay here and not deal with all the headaches and costs of a visa run trip.   More than enough to do within thailand if I want to hop a plane for a week.

However, I think I would do a run if the land borders were open again.  I don't know though.  Everything changes daily.  I didn't want somehting to change during the 1 -2 weeks I was out and be unable to get back in.  

Thailand is a fickle lady 555

21 minutes ago, Dart12 said:

I didn't want somehting to change during the 1 -2 weeks I was out and be unable to get back in.

Definitely a concern in the past.

Thinking next step for Thailand will be kiss goodbye to Thailand Pass.

Can't imagine being stuck outside would happen. 

Hope ok to ask forum a question.

I also are hoping to visit Vietnam.

Previously I went often and obtained 3 month multiple visas to Vietnam.

My agent is suggesting that can only offer one month TV.

It's extendable once in Vietnam but being single entry is not suitable.

Perhaps a misunderstanding.

Being Oz we need a visa. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1