Delivery man slams into back of cement mixer - microsleep blamed

webfact

a32319b92f63d390ba6a880e01cff63c73a479fd294ad1ab1901945947258c28.jpg

Picture: Siam Rath

Siam Rath published some graphic pictures of the carnage on the Thai roads yesterday after a delivery man was killed in a pick-up that slammed in to the back of a cement mixer.

It happened in the Ban Wisai Neua police jurisdiction in Chumphon in the south on the Asia Highway, Route 41.

Keep up to date with all things Thailand - Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

The pick-up was delivering food items many of which were spread over the road.

Prakop, 62, had parked the cement mixer on the hard shoulder and was in the process of asking about a cement delivery.

fcca3f83d818ce9d159c0947c6fc42177b1b587530eb0d8f4533cb4586fb40bf.jpg

Picture: Siam Rath

Dimamot Mohammad, 26, a local man, died instantly when he piled into the rear of the larger vehicle. 

There were no signs of braking on the road leading the police to say that this was most likely a case of what is known as "lap nai".

Microsleep.

Drowsy---Stop-and-Rest-2 copy.jpg

This is one of the leading causes of accidents in Thailand. Signs - in Thai - are up all over the country warning drowsy people to take rests. 

Aetna Platinum+ Light on premium, great on coverage

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-03-18

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

I've never lived anywhere where "professional drivers" fall asleep with such regularity. I never heard of anyone falling asleep in UK, US, Japan....what is going on? Do they all have narcolepsy? RTP, please hire a medic to investigate these people falling asleep at the wheel, and find out why they don't fall asleep say in the queue at the bank, or the till at 7/11.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, Wagga said:
50 minutes ago, Pedrogaz said:

I never heard of anyone falling asleep in UK, US, Japan....what is going on?

You must live in a cave

14 minutes ago, Wagga said:

You must live in a cave

https://www.cdc.gov/sleep/features/drowsy-driving.html

Selby Train Crash

Edited by Moonlover
  • Confused 1

It’s terrible the person was killed.

I never heard of microsleep.  When I go for my yearly physical next month I have to ask my doctor about that.  Is it when you are not paying attention to things around you when you should be?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Pedrogaz said:

I've never lived anywhere where "professional drivers" fall asleep with such regularity. I never heard of anyone falling asleep in UK, US, Japan....what is going on? Do they all have narcolepsy? RTP, please hire a medic to investigate these people falling asleep at the wheel, and find out why they don't fall asleep say in the queue at the bank, or the till at 7/11.

Driving requires concentration for a period of time beyond the one-minute attention span that many Thais have. They don't fall asleep. How on Earth can they diagnose that has happened? It's just the current excuse, replacing brake failure.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Pedrogaz said:

problem worldwide - "micro-sleeps are a constant cause of accidents. Closing you eyes whilst driving if if the nod wakes you up, you can several hundred feet. For instance a sneeze at 70 mph can mean driving 300 feet with your eyes shut.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, swm59nj said:

It’s terrible the person was killed.

I never heard of microsleep.  When I go for my yearly physical next month I have to ask my doctor about that.  Is it when you are not paying attention to things around you when you should be?

I think it's the fact that he did not apply the brakes.  He rear ended at full speed.  This is implying micro sleep (nodding off) or possibly not paying attention to his driving (mobile phone use, etc). 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Thai people seem to be able to nod off anywhere, any time,

but not a good idea to do it while driving.

RIP the sleeping man.

regards Worgeordie

Indeed the ability to have your foot to floor of and not on the brake when sleeping is world class suggest swoping the pedals around in Thai owned vehicles as a future prevention measure ????Rip  

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Jaybott said:

I think it's the fact that he did not apply the brakes.  He rear ended at full speed.  This is implying micro sleep (nodding off) or possibly not paying attention to his driving (mobile phone use, etc). 

Sudden  heart attack or stroke is another option.

Edited by PFMills

2 hours ago, blackshadow said:

so why did you read

Jeeez, what sort of a stupid/childish come back is that.

Grow up idiot. I read it because you posted it and I was reading the posts, d!psh!t.