Thailand drops pre-departure RT-PCR tests for overseas arrivals, allows Songkran celebrations

snoop1130

I have just looked at a few insurance policies such as AXA and they specifically exclude hotel accommodation cost due to quarantine which, as others have said, makes sense if you are not sick. Lets say I am at a hotel in Bangkok and test positive. How long do I have to quarantine. Can I pick a different hotel from my first night and can it be SHA but otherwise normal, and I can just order food from the hotel, or, I assume, it is a special booking that includes meals. Is this a category that can be searched for on booking sites. These issues have probably been discussed ad infinitum but I don't see clear rules and regulations. If I can work this out I can at least know the worst case of what can happen. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JayClay said:

If that's the case then you should find it easy to provide a link to such a policy. Here is your chance to be a true hero, because nobody else on this forum has access to this information you hold and there are many of us who are extremely keen to buy such a policy. I will certainly be happy to buy you a beer or three as a personal token on my gratitude for your enlightenment.

Bit arrogant to say "nobody", you obviously do not pay much attention to what gets posted.

Obviously you will put your own interpretation on Overseas Quarantine Allowance.

insurance sample_a.pdf

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, JayClay said:

Why would I do that?

For the same reason you are prepared to make statements like this,

"Here is your chance to be a true hero, because nobody else on this forum has access to this information"

• Thanks 1

When will this be in the Gazette, I am due to depart U.K. on 31st March arrive in LOS 1st Apr, I have TP, Ins and covid certs in place but not yet booked pre-departure PCR (scam) test, if I turn up without a 72 hour PCR will my airline let me board? as I am arriving 1st Apr?? 

18 hours ago, Klonko said:

In addition to a voluntarily pre-flight Covid test I would also voluntarily wear a FFP2-mask if the next passenger is sitting with less than 1½m distance to me.

What is important is that the person beside you also wear a mask as your mask protect him and not the other way around which seems to be a general misconception ... :thumbsup:

4 hours ago, rainham said:

You've nailed it Sir, 

No question now,  you will test positive upon arrival and get the full lockdown scam including  but  not limited to invalid insurance, hotel bills,  private Hospital bills you can't argue  cos you didn't get tested before your flight. I haven't seen my Mr's of 14years for nearly 2 and a half years due to covid and I'm not going until they drop the Thai Pass scam 

The airfares are very reasonable now so many people like myself decided to do Thailand pass with a few extra costs AFTER the airfare but when you add it up if " scam" means to you paying more you will be scammed by much higher fares this summer and actually pay more $$/pounds etc by being stubborn. For example I think New York City to BKK round trip using Singapore air and flying comfortable premium economy on a nice new A350long haul plane ( only 160 seats all Business and Prem Econ only) for $1098 net was a bargain.  I see summer fares at $1900 ish already. I was in a VTL flight, felt safe, had a row to myself and just one person sideways in back and in front of me. The plane is dark inside most of the time so if you have the need to unmask you just do. Now I'm here enjoying loved ones / friends etc and its a little lively but nicely quieter at the same time.  Keep digging your feet in and you will be paying the real scam by arriving in a few months or so.  Not bad advice. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

For the same reason you are prepared to make statements like this,

"Here is your chance to be a true hero, because nobody else on this forum has access to this information"

That's because, until your response, nobody had... There have been repeated instances of people claiming that such cover exists but when requested to provide details all that was provided in response was silence or some unhelpful smart-ars comments.

Thank you for the document you provided. I will investigate it.

19 hours ago, Enzian said:

But won't one's airline of choice require some kind of test result in order to get a boarding pass? And won't airlines differ in this regard depending on where one is coming from and where one is going? And which airline.

I travelled KLM, Bangkok-Amsterdam-UK last week, vax cert and passenger locator form was all that was required

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Canadian Snowbird said:

There is also no money it it for the Thai's when nobody comes. I wonder if that will ever sink in and they will figure that out ... nah, too much to ask.

Your logic is flawed.

Eliminating the pre-departure Covid test will result in more people coming to Thailand.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JayClay said:

That's because, until your response, nobody had... There have been repeated instances of people claiming that such cover exists but when requested to provide details all that was provided in response was silence or some unhelpful smart-ars comments.

Thank you for the document you provided. I will investigate it.

I was only able to find AIG Singapore who is offering s$100 per day allowance for 'Out-of-country COVID-19 diagnosis quarantine allowance', which isn't much help, but better than nothing, I'm not sure if anybody is able to buy it though, you may need to be in Singapore, I haven't dug deep enough.

There's also this, but I can't find anything useful there, maybe I'm blind, anybody see anything regarding quarantine allowance?

https://www.aig.co.th/content/dam/aig/apac/thailand/documents/brochures/tg-inter-extra_28102021_en_form_e-app.pdf

EDIT: this seems to be for people leaving Thailand for other countries, so where on earth do we get an AIG policy for foreigners entering Thailand if we're not Americans or Singaporeans?

Edited by MaiDong

2 hours ago, MaiDong said:

I was only able to find AIG Singapore who is offering s$100 per day allowance for 'Out-of-country COVID-19 diagnosis quarantine allowance', which isn't much help, but better than nothing, I'm not sure if anybody is able to buy it though, you may need to be in Singapore, I haven't dug deep enough.

till end of this month you have free insurance from etihad and emirates. Some $100 per day for up to 14 days. Covers for 30 days.

You need to commence journey before 1.04.

27 minutes ago, internationalism said:

till end of this month you have free insurance from etihad and emirates. Some $100 per day for up to 14 days. Covers for 30 days.

I'm travelling from BKK-SGN-BKK, I believe Etihad & Emirates can't help me with this.

12 hours ago, Onerak said:

While people arguing here on useless conspiracy theory about insurance not paying for quarantine, I got some answers from a facegroup group where a few people confirmed that the insurance did pay for their quarantine.  People will buy useless insurance without checking what it covers or not and then come here to argue that I was tested 24 hours ago negative why it is positive now. It does not work  this way in the real world. You buy an insurance that Thai government recommends for Thai pass and they will pay if government mandates expensive hospital quarantine. There is no conspiracy involves and insurance companies will be on guard to protect their financial interest.  The risk of being tested positive remains the same if there is a pre flight RT-PCR test or not. All RT-PCR test are a roadblock but at least one less is better than one more and in the right direction. Kudos for removing the pre-flight RT-PCR test. Keep it up Thailand don't listen to what desperate people who can't find their brides in their home land and have to take refuge in a foreign land to live off of their "wife visa" and voice their frustration in this forum. 

I'm sure a few here would like to know of an insurance which pays out for Hospitel quarantine

• Like 1

I will wait to comeback, I have 65 yo and to visit Thai now is too much complicated, I have 3 COVID shoots in USA, it is my warranty for not to infect others. I agree to put mask only for my own safety but no more constraints for me to comeback for friends. Before I  go Thai 3 times per year or more for only 2 weeks because I brought my dogs to live there and a good friend is waiting me. I really want to visit and spend my money if the process is simple as before 2 weeks in Thai is short, not good for me to lose time with complicated things

• Haha 1

On 3/19/2022 at 1:32 AM, DezLez said:

And get sent to hospital on arrival after a false positive, the costs of which your insurance will probably not cover.

WE can't win!

If we take a test anyway pre departure (in our home country) and it's negative... then arrive in BKK , only to get a false positive when tested again....   is there the opportunity for an immediate 2nd test to remove all doubt ? 

Eliminating the pre-departure test is silly imho, Half the people on your flight could be infected, In a closed environment such as an aircraft your chances of catching this undeclared luggage would be close to 100%, even if it is only one passenger that has it, your chances of landing without being infected are slim, makes more sense to scrap arrival testing altogether.

• Like 1

To the above: OK it was only a domestic flight of about one hour plus time in the departure lounge etc. but I was on the SAME 11 DEC 2021 flight BKK to Khon Kaen as the 2 Thais returning from Belgium who became patients zero of the Kalasin Omicron cluster.

Neither I or to my knowledge anyone else on that flight became infected. After realizing I was on that same flight, I had PCR test done 18 DEC 2021. Negative.

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/over-200-omicron-cases-confirmed-in-thailand-kalasin-udon-thani-cluster-of-concern/

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/khon-kaen-province-reports-its-first-two-omicron-cases/

Edited by jerrymahoney

21 hours ago, Havenstreet1940 said:

Read  between the lines - Thailand wants your money.   The underlying message is saying we welcome everyone infected or not.  The more infected who come,the more moey we can get from the 'hosptelisations; we can enforce.  Don't want you spending your money in your country, come here so we can relieve you of it!

Don't be silly.... they want the tourists out there spending.

• Confused 1

15 hours ago, sandyf said:

Bit arrogant to say "nobody", you obviously do not pay much attention to what gets posted.

Obviously you will put your own interpretation on Overseas Quarantine Allowance.

insurance sample_a.pdf 203.8 kB · 7 downloads

Would you be so kind as so say where you got this policy from? Was it travelguard? Or aigtravel.au?

1 hour ago, Polaky said:

Eliminating the pre-departure test is silly imho, Half the people on your flight could be infected, In a closed environment such as an aircraft your chances of catching this undeclared luggage would be close to 100%, even if it is only one passenger that has it, your chances of landing without being infected are slim, makes more sense to scrap arrival testing altogether.

This is simply not true..pretty much every flight in recent times landing in Phuket had at least one person testing positive at the airport. If covid was spreading in the plane as you say the whole plane would test positive on day 5.

9 hours ago, internationalism said:

That's great for people flying from the west, but I'll be flying from the east - Vietnam - so I need an independent insurance policy. 

21 hours ago, Onerak said:

While people arguing here on useless conspiracy theory about insurance not paying for quarantine, I got some answers from a facegroup group where a few people confirmed that the insurance did pay for their quarantine.  People will buy useless insurance without checking what it covers or not and then come here to argue that I was tested 24 hours ago negative why it is positive now. It does not work  this way in the real world. You buy an insurance that Thai government recommends for Thai pass and they will pay if government mandates expensive hospital quarantine. There is no conspiracy involves and insurance companies will be on guard to protect their financial interest.  The risk of being tested positive remains the same if there is a pre flight RT-PCR test or not. All RT-PCR test are a roadblock but at least one less is better than one more and in the right direction. Kudos for removing the pre-flight RT-PCR test. Keep it up Thailand don't listen to what desperate people who can't find their brides in their home land and have to take refuge in a foreign land to live off of their "wife visa" and voice their frustration in this forum. 

Dumbest post I have read in a while. I flew into South America on a proof of being vaccinated (nothing else). Virus was out of control there. It has since gone down like a rock. It spiked after Christmas now back down. 

Also coming back to the US after 6 months traveling in SA and Mexico all I had to do was get a test 24 hours before I left. Cost me 24 dollars at a Mexican clinic in Merida. I was in line for 10 minutes paid 24 bucks then had my results e-mailed to me. 

Thailand is kinda the joke of any serious traveler that has the funds to travel... haha

One more thing, there were no restrictions what so ever, partying all night and still the virus dropped like a rock.

Edited by garyk
  • Like 2