Thoughts on TM27 and TM30

Hi everyone,

Here are some OCD thoughts on the immigration rules, for anyone interested. I had a look at the documents about reporting change of address (linked on the reference posts at the top) and found this:

In the regulation dated 14 Jan 2020, concerning the alien reporting himself (TM27, Section 37) it says:

6. Notifications for 2.2 (notification of moving residence within 24 hours) and 2.3 (notifying local police within 48 hours if traveling to a different province for more than 24 hours) do not apply to an alien permitted to temporarily stay in the Kingdom for the purposes as follows:

6.1 Diplomatic or consular mission ...

6.10 Study and observation ...

6.16 Alien, who ia a parent, spouse, or child ... etc. (I.e. non-imm visas or longer-term)

Then in the regulation dated June 5 2020, concerning the house owner reporting (TM30, Section 38) it has this:

2.2 After a householder, owner or possessor of dwelling place or hotel manager already made a notification according to 2.1 (Notify a competent official at an Immigration office located in a locality in which the house, dwelling place or hotel is located within twenty four hours from the time an alien has taken residence.), then the alien goes to occasionally stay somewhere else and return to stay at the original place within the notified period of stay tahat has not yet ended, such householder, owner or possessor of dwelling place or hotel manager is not required to make a notification again.

So does this mean if you travel temporarily you don't have to file a TM27, which means you don't change your residence, and so don't count as having 'taken residence' here? And therefore the host doesn't have to file a TM30 for you?

And as reporting under section 37 doesn't apply at all for those with long-term visas, then if these two regulations are meant to go together, it sounds like as long as you get back to your official place of residence 'within the notified period that has not ended', you're OK. Meaning you don't have to file either form again during that period when you are away from your official residence.

Any thoughts???

Best wishes all,

Isaac

• Haha 2

48 minutes ago, Phra Isaac said:

In the regulation dated 14 Jan 2020, concerning the alien reporting himself (TM27, Section 37) it says:

6. Notifications for 2.2 (notification of moving residence within 24 hours) and 2.3 (notifying local police within 48 hours if traveling to a different province for more than 24 hours) do not apply to an alien permitted to temporarily stay in the Kingdom for the purposes as follows:

6.1 Diplomatic or consular mission ...

6.10 Study and observation ...

6.16 Alien, who ia a parent, spouse, or child ... etc. (I.e. non-imm visas or longer-term)

This refers only to TM28

The order doesn't change anything regarding TM27

Edited by FriendlyFarang

8 minutes ago, Phra Isaac said:

I thought it was referring to TM27.

So, in the past, TM27 was used if you move your place of residence, and TM28 was for traveling? And now TM28 is pretty much obsolete but TM27 is still the same?

The announcement I read had a TM27 form attached to it. They basically did away with most of the requirements on the TM28 form and left only the change of address that the TM27 form is for. Many offices still use the TM28 form for a change of address. But most offices will accept a TM30 form for a change of address.

There is no longer a requirement for a change of address unless it is a long term change.

Hotels and etc that do a TM30 report does not change your address.

23 hours ago, Phra Isaac said:

Thanks and sorry for the headache. I got my info from this pdf:

Repeal section 37 of the Immigration Act.pdf 1.49 MB · 2 downloads

I thought it was referring to TM27.

So, in the past, TM27 was used if you move your place of residence, and TM28 was for traveling? And now TM28 is pretty much obsolete but TM27 is still the same?

Point 2.1 in this document is referring to TM27, but there is no change to it. The change mentioned in point 6 refers to point 2.2 and 2.3 in this order, both relate to TM28.

The TMXX documents are related to certain sections of the immigration act.

https://library.siam-legal.com/thai-law/thai-immigration-act-temporary-stay-in-the-kingdom-sections-34-39/

37.2 = TM27

37.3 and 37.4 = TM28

Just for completeness: 37.5 = TM47 (90 day report)

38 = TM30

Just read the according sections in the law, then you know which one is applicable in which situation.

Pay attention to this sentence under section 37: "The provision of (3) and (4) shall not apply to any cases under Section 34 by any conditions as prescribed by the Director General."

In combination with the order which you posted above, that means that only people who entered Thailand illegally have to submit a TM28 (Which they do at their local police station, not at immigration)

In theory we would have to comply with 37.2 and 38 (TM27 and TM30 respectively), but in practice immigration doesn't care about the TM27, and they only want a TM30, so that's all you have to worry about.

13 minutes ago, tommygun809 said:

Slightly off topic.

I have recently obtained a new passport (British). Does my wife have to submit a new TM30?

No

When you have your stamps transferred immigration will update their records. If you have a receipt for a TM30 report you can move it your new one since the do not have a passport number on them.

On 3/19/2022 at 10:30 AM, ubonjoe said:

Not sure where you are getting your info.

Starting in February of 2020 they revived the TM27 form that is only for reporting a change of address. It is no longer required to use a TM28 form to report staying in another province for more than 24 hours.

The change to the TM30 reporting went into effect on June 30th of 2020. If on a extension of stay or long stay visa there is no longer a requirement to do a TM30 report unless you change your address. The only time a TM30 report is needed when you enter the country with a new visa.

I have a life usufruct on the chanote of the property I am currently living in.  A month or so back I went to immigration and attempted to file a TM28 and a TM30 both in my name.  So basically I was reporting my new address and then also reporting me as the newly arrived farang.  Ludicrous third world rubber stamp bureaucracy.   I indicated on the TM30 that I was the possessor of the property.  I supplied photocopies of the tabien ban (which does not have my name on it), my passport, and the front and back of the Chanote.  IO was running around in circles and did not know what to do.  Initially said I had to have TM30 completed and signed by person on front of chanote (name also in Tabien Ban).  I stood my ground and also showed her a copy of the usufruct laws in Thai that I have.  She went and talked at length with her boss and I overhead that they called Bangkok.  After about 30 minutes she came back and gave me the signed and stamped stub from both the TM30 and TM28 forms.  Definitely no TM27?.  Anyway last week I did my 90 day report online (on the new website) and everything went ok.

My understanding (in wake of advice from Ubon Joe).  Is that I will now never have to do another TM28 or TM30.  Until I move house or go onto another visa.  I hope that is correct because I have no intention of moving ever again or moving off my NON 0 unless something unforeseen occurs.

So, hopefully I am done with all of this address reporting nonsense for good......let's see.

Edited by Adumbration
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Adumbration said:

Definitely no TM27?

Many offices are still using the TM28 form. Perhaps they have not been told to use TM27 or they don't have any although it is available for download on the immigration website. https://www.immigration.go.th/wp-content/uploads/simple-file-list2/form-download/1542264289117.pdf

36 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Many offices are still using the TM28 form. Perhaps they have not been told to use TM27 or they don't have any although it is available for download on the immigration website. https://www.immigration.go.th/wp-content/uploads/simple-file-list2/form-download/1542264289117.pdf

Is there a list of the Immigration Offices that still require a TM28?  We're moving to Rayong on 4 April.  My landlord will file the TM30, but I was hoping I wouldn't have to do anything until my first 90-day report due in mid-April.

7 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Is there a list of the Immigration Offices that still require a TM28?  We're moving to Rayong on 4 April.  My landlord will file the TM30, but I was hoping I wouldn't have to do anything until my first 90-day report due in mid-April.

I have seen no list of them. If I recall correctly Rayong immigration only wants a TM30 form submitted.

You could download the TM27 form that is a lot simpler form than the TM28 form since it only for a address change.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

There is probably none that asks people to do it. (Because not required anymore by law)

If somebody shows up with one they might take it though, but maybe they just throw it away.

Edited by FriendlyFarang

4 minutes ago, FriendlyFarang said:

There is probably none that asks people to do it. (Because not required anymore by law)

If somebody shows up with one they might take it though, but maybe they just throw it away.

The guy you quoted is moving to Rayong. Not just a visit.

He needs to file a TM30.

He should do that prior to attending immigration.

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

No idea if they have any TM27 forms in the office.  I downloaded a TM28 at home filled it in and submitted it.

What exactly is a TM27? 

43 minutes ago, Adumbration said:

No idea if they have any TM27 forms in the office.  I downloaded a TM28 at home filled it in and submitted it.

What exactly is a TM27? 

TM27 is the form used to comply with section 37.2 of the immigration act:

Shall stay at the place as indicated to the competent official. Where there is proper reason that he cannot stay at the place as indicated to the competent official, he shall notify the competent official of the change in residence, within 24 hours from the time of removing to said place.

Afaik there is no immigration office which enforces this section of the law.