How Easy is it to get a FIRST CLASS EDUCATION....Locally? (Compared to What?)

8 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Dementia is bliss, these days.

Bliss is back in the old days.  That’s dementia for you.

in an ideal world, maybe people might not suffer dementia, but that is not our choice to make, and those that suffer are not competent to make that choice.

17 hours ago, 2009 said:

I still don't get it though.

What's the point in these schools? Are they just full of kids who are here cos their parents are here on business? Or are they full of Thai kids whose parents are intent on sending them abroad for uni and to live and work as adults?

If so, ok.

Otherwise, what's the point? How will these kids thrive in Thailand?

Could they pass an entrance exam (in Thai) for a medical program at Chula? Or a science program at Mahidol?

I assume all the subjects are taught in English and they just get Thai language classes on the side. It ain't the same as having your education in Thai.

They'd be living almost completely disabled in Thailand, functioning comfortably as a hotel receptionist or something.

They wouldn't have very many doors open to them in the country where they grew up.

I have two kids in an international IB school and both kids don't want to be stuck in Thailand for their career and want to learn how to think outside the box. They also want teh chance to study a number of different languages such as French and Spanish plus a variety of Asian languages.

I would never dream of having my kids go to a Thai school. The Thai parents that I speak to who are successful in life all want their kids in a good international school. 

My kids will not be able to pass a Thai entrance exam but they have no interest in that. They are both taking  non Thai languages for their second language. But if they had an interest in a Thai university they could have taken Thai as their second language any the time they graduate high school they could go to medical school in Thailand. They both speak fluent Thai just from daily life so reading and writing is what needs to be studied.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Interesting.

Then, your building was fairly close to the quadrangle.

And so, then, you will appreciate the work of Duckworth, that much more.

Duckworth is a star, these days.

What is your name to fame?

Are you just another quant?

I don't remember much about college years, I was rarely present at school. My only claim to fame might be that I don't desire fame in even the smallest way and I don't know what a "quant" is - as to Duckworth and "grit" - I would pride myself in having nearly none of it... 

what were you doing riding the LIRR? and how far did you go? - - I had a brief 2 months as a commuter for my first job in NYC when I was 18... a learning experience for me in that I  knew quickly that I was not a 9-5 kind of guy... 

On 3/21/2022 at 10:59 AM, 1FinickyOne said:

I don't remember much about college years, I was rarely present at school. My only claim to fame might be that I don't desire fame in even the smallest way and I don't know what a "quant" is - as to Duckworth and "grit" - I would pride myself in having nearly none of it... 

what were you doing riding the LIRR? and how far did you go? - - I had a brief 2 months as a commuter for my first job in NYC when I was 18... a learning experience for me in that I  knew quickly that I was not a 9-5 kind of guy... 

LI Rail Road, in 1963, was not so much a railroad as it was an amusement ride.

Getting stuck on the LIRR was one of our greatest amusements, particularly at night.

Being a boarding school student at the time, being stuck late at night seemed the ultimate in high jinks.

Unfortunately, these days, the LIRR is just Blah, by comparison.

====

By the way:  Where were you when the lights went out, November 9, 1965?

399px-Northeast_Blackout_of_1965_svg.png.b4213b3cce17bc5ca2fd63bd93525457.png

Besides this, did I ever tell you the time I rode on Ken Kesey's bus, Furthur?

We were such a Merry Band.

On 3/20/2022 at 2:34 AM, GammaGlobulin said:

What is great education?

Does it exist in any school? My father sent me to one of the top schools in NZ and I learned nothing of any use because the reputation applied only to the best students who got good teachers and the rest of us got <deleted>. I read a lot, learned to play the trumpet, and graduated without any qualifications worth anything. All my real education came after I left school when I did lots of courses.

The best education that a foreigner could drift into but would then need to keep pace is NIST for US curriculum and Bangkok Pattana for British curriculum.

All the better Thai secondaries are extremely competitive you just don't front up and get in. Each year thousands of students take entrance exams for admission. In a few cases near or upwards of 10k.

Best Thai: Suankularb Wittayalai, Pathumwan Demonstration, Mahidol Wittayasorn, Triam Udom Suksa. Top 4.

Best middle school pub/private is Pathumwan Demonstration. Damn good secondary as well.

Best elementary schools excluding fancy international programs are probably: Mater Dei and Wattana Wittayalai for girls. Assumption Ban Rak for boys.

On 3/19/2022 at 8:32 PM, GammaGlobulin said:

Name of the school?

(Take care, my friend.)

That would be Sacred Heart Convent.

It's not especially expensive unless you compare it for actual value ????

Best EP students will get into top Thai universities but scant few into medical schools.