Time Now to Again Watch Segments of The Planet of the Apes (1968)?

My Dear Friends,

There is so much news of Nukes and Nuking flying around, these days, that I have begun to watch old movies, including The Planet of the Apes.

Here is the scene in this film in which Charlatan Huston begins to get a glimmer of what might have gone wrong, including a heart valve artifact found in a cave:

So, do you think that this film is a particularly prescient film?

How much longer do we have to enjoy ourselves in Pattaya?

And, in the event of a "catastrophic event", such as a Nuclear Magnetic Pulse weapon being released high up in the atmosphere, then.....

How would you try to survive in Thailand with no access to electricity or electronic devices?

Would you relearn old ways in order to survive?

Would you find a better existence singing around the campfire instead of using Facebook, during evenings of the future?

Could you depend on your friends for support?

Or, would you just give up without a struggle for continued days of your life?

And, without the Internet, then how would be keep in touch with our friends on TV? 

We know that Man will survive, unless we are outcompeted by the apes, which is unlikely.

There will always be Man, until the end of recorded history, and this is for sure.

Best regards,

Globule

1 minute ago, Adumbration said:

The glimpse of the future given to Charlton on the set of Planet of the Apes scared him so much he served as president of the NRA for 5 terms.  But being knee deep in preppers and gun nuts gave him Alzheimer's. 

Explain to me again how the NRA will prevent us wiping ourselves out. Surely their position is that other people will do the bulk of the work, their members will deal with any remnants, and a toddler will accidentally finish off the last person of breeding age.

14 minutes ago, StreetCowboy said:

Explain to me again how the NRA will prevent us wiping ourselves out. Surely their position is that other people will do the bulk of the work, their members will deal with any remnants, and a toddler will accidentally finish off the last person of breeding age.

According to "The Planet of the Apes" writers, Man is a weak fragile animal, etc, etc, etc.

However, according to Duckworth at U of P, Man is a strong and resilient animal, if taught early to be so.

Are both views simultaneously valid? 

Therefore, does education always trump instinct?

Edited by GammaGlobulin

15 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

According to "The Planet of the Apes" writers, Man is a weak fragile animal, etc, etc, etc.

However, according to Duckworth at U of P, Man is a strong and resilient animal, if taught early to be so.

Are both views simultaneously valid? 

Therefore, does education always trump instinct?

I think the only threats to the human race are our ambition and capability.  I think we could continue to make the Earth less habitable, and yet still survive, until we couldn’t. 
I find it hard to worry about the unborn children of my children’s unborn children, but if we get that far, then maybe we will be on the way to recovery. 
That’s why I cycle to work.

Edited by StreetCowboy

5 minutes ago, StreetCowboy said:

I think the only threats to the human race are our ambition and capability.  I think we could continue to make the Earth less habitable, and yet still survive, until we couldn’t. 
I find it hard to worry about the unborn children of my children’s unborn children, but if we get that far, then maybe we will be on the way to recovery. 
That’s why I cycle to work.

James Hansen might agree that your approach is a good one.

51lojUuuVcL.jpg.f2ab1dd712162862fb9f3b8321e18ef9.jpg

Hansen would be the first to admit that he is not a particularly gifted speaker or writer of Pop books, like this.

Still, he is a scientist worth his salt.

Anyway, see you in the future, on the Planet of the Apes.

Looking forward to this, in fact.