Travel sector calls for endemic status, scrapping of Thailand Pass and full normality on entry

webfact

12 hours ago, DoctorB said:

Because the symptoms are are widely reported as generally no worse than the common cold. Most people are simply not frightened any more. Any how, reported numbers are expected to drop substantially next week when the government stops supplying free test kits. People will stay home if they are unwell and only seek medical attention if they become seriously so.

17K in English hospitals and over 2K in Scottish hospitals would indicate a bit more than a cold, but then there are those that have little concern for others.

9 hours ago, sandyf said:

Your having a laugh?

They judge us by the behaviour of foreigners in their country.

then why have i been asked daily for over a decade here "where u from" ?

and they can group MY actions and behaviors from observing all farang?

are we all sex tourists?  teachers? grandpas? NGOs? backpackers? do tell..

boy talk about stereotyping...or we all act and look the same to thais???

laughable indeed...

• Like 1

On 3/24/2022 at 4:06 AM, sandyf said:

The UK, with a similar size population, dropped  all restrictions and they have just reported over 100K new cases and nearly 17K in hospital.

Obviously those that are in favour of removing restrictions think that everyone is quite happy to risk being infected, odds are about 1 in 20.

Never been very lucky with gambling.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-51768274

There will probably be new waves for who knows how long. If you want to have restrictions to contain covid or are waiting the virus to go away one might as well continue with the same measures possibly forever.

4 hours ago, rabang said:

There will probably be new waves for who knows how long. If you want to have restrictions to contain covid or are waiting the virus to go away one might as well continue with the same measures possibly forever.

To put that in context, as of yesterday March  26th, 4 of my neighbours are positive for covid as is another elderly neighbour's son who lives elsewhere.

One of said neighbours was told by her boss that she could go into work if she wanted to, but as one of her co-workers is nervous, she's working from home for 10 days. 

All have been vaccinated - not one of them is sick with any symptoms at all. So in reality...infected...so what!

UK Covid infections climb by a million in a week

I've got a stock of test kits (got 'em while they're free) "just in case" i might need them.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, rabang said:

The virus will never go away, every chance that mutation will reduce the virulence to level that we can live with, but a bit premature to say we are already there.

A bit foolhardy to put your life in the hands of someone you have only known a short time.

On 3/24/2022 at 1:44 AM, rainham said:

I don't know,

Maybe I'm becoming a cynical old man. 

It just doesn't make any sense to me

The Thai government just seem to look at everything as a potential earner PCR test, pay for a registered hotel, hotel, linked to a private Hospital, $20,000 covid insurance requirement ( covid sickness cover not guaranteed ) 

It's a shame as the Thai people could really do with some income from tourism

Right now 

Yes , I agree with your view and some people must be making good money from the tests , hotels and insurance , thus the reluctance to scrap the Thai Pass sooner . The facts are , covid is probably here to stay globally , will spike at various times in different countries . We have to learn to live with the virus and return to normality ASAP . So July 1st is the plan to open up without restrictions . What will happen to the plan if there is a major hike in infection rates ? The current virus , although infectious , is not as potent as delta and is not causing massive hospitalisation in many countries . There are and will be fatalities , much the same as influenza causes.  What is needed is for personal immunity to be built up by way of eating the right foods and a reasonable degree of fitness .

As far as the 1st July opening , that needs to be reconsidered quickly . Knowing that the Thailand government  make so many changes to incoming tourist rules , I would not be confident in making an advanced holiday booking . I say scrap the Thai Pass NOW , not in 3 months .   Also rip off Thailand needs to change its ways of robbing tourists along with racial discrimination that is condoned by the Thai government .

• Like 2

22 hours ago, rainham said:

It's an airborn virus that mutates just like the flu virus and the common cold,

Everyone on the planet will eventually get it, initially  isolation was the only option we had to slow the virus down and it doubtlessly saved many lives but as soon as they lifted lockdowns worldwide infections increased unfortunately we can't isolate our way out of it and in my opinion the only option is to get vaccinated so you don't die from it and crack on.

I'm in the UK at the moment and according to the latest reports infections rates for the latest variant have peaked and are now receding, until the next variant pop's up, it's not going away we can't avoid it through isolation.

I'm bumping into people with covid every day I've tested positive for it twice and had no symptoms 58yrs old 3 vaccines, as for hospital admissions over 80% of people  that have been hospitalised with life threatening covid complications chose not to be vaccinated its a personal choice  like playing Russian Roulette 

Wouldn't disagree with that at all.  The primary considerations are around the vaccination level being high enough to justify lifting restrictions. People on this forum contradict themselves, one minute the blame the government for the vaccination level being too low and then in the next breath want all restrictions lifted.

The other factor is that western behaviour over vaccine has led to disproportionate global cover and as you say continual mutation could lead to a mutation in the wrong direction. A virologist on interview admitted that the delay that there would be now on sequencing in the UK could be problematic in the event of a new strain.

Living with the virus cannot really be achieved until it can be achieved globally.