Fair price for high quality tailored t-shirts?

Jingthing

Living in Pattaya I wear mostly t shirts.

But being a western XLish size I find it very hard to find ones I want to wear that fit.

I've wasted so much money at Lazada buying wrong sized shirts.

So I saw a tailor advertise that they make t shirts.

I'm interested.

Before approaching them I'd like some opinions on a fair price for tailored t shirts.

Solid colors.

All cotton medium weight.

Not sure what collar style. Any suggestions?

What about for polo shirts?

Edited by Jingthing

Just now, FritsSikkink said:

You really need to ask? If you like the price you buy, if not you don't.

I thought the OPs question was quite logical. So the tailor asks Bht 2000 for one T shirt, 3000 for two etc. Is it a good deal or not?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, whereyougo said:

I want to buy socks and undies anybody advise what price I should pay? I dont wanna get ripped off

You can get 5 pairs of cotton socks at the market for Bht 100, hardly worth washing them.

• Sad 1

T-shirts from a tailor ... holy c r a p

Last time I bought t-shirts, ฿80 each, though had to buy 10 (blanks) ฿115 / 3 or 4 color silkscreen.  Kind of pointed out how silly the t-shirt prices were around town.  Damn good quality, last 5-10 yrs, depending on wearing, and think I may even still have a few.  Can't remember last time I wore a t-shirt, maybe doing yard work.

Pharhurat market, went with the wife one time when she was on a material run.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, zoltannyc said:

Good shirts from good materials are pricy when I was  still in the office (NYC) I used to order my shirts from a UK shirtmaker
https://www.charlestyrwhitt.com/intl/mens-shirts/
They ship to Thailand and full price for one shirt is over 3000THB the prices are similar to TM Lewin or Brooks Brothers.
I know two good shops in Bangkok, my friends ordered from them:
https://www.tailoronten.com/pages/prices shirts from 1500THB
https://www.tailoronten.com/pages/prices shirts from 2200THB

If a shirt is too cheap it means cheap material when you order a shirt makes sure you take a small piece of the material for later reference.
As well is a good bespoke shirt requires at least 1-2 fittings especially when the customer is  out of shape, so if they offer a 24 hour no fitting shirt that's probably not a good shirt.

Materials might be an lnternationsl market but labor is low here. Of course I've seen the custom tailoring sweatshops in South Pattaya and they don't inspire confidence.

• Like 1

Just now, dddave said:

Like the OP, I am big sized, usually a US 2XL for loose fitting T-shirts. I also like soft, 100% cotton.

I have found this Lazada retailer to be very dependable, delivering properly sized, well made soft cotton T-shirts in a variety of colors.  Naturally, I always order one size larger, thus 3XL rather than 2XL.

The last batch I ordered was about 6 months ago and they have probably been through 10 to 15 laundry cycles by now and they have held up very well with minimal shrinkage.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/i1969222658-s6288442670.html?urlFlag=true&mp=1

Thanks.

I will look.

But I've found local sizes wildly different than US sizes. Like you might be a 9 XL which vendors here generally wouldn't have.

4 minutes ago, dddave said:

The last batch I ordered was about 6 months ago and they have probably been through 10 to 15 laundry cycles by now and they have held up very well with minimal shrinkage.

I would be more interested in them after 50 (once a week for a year) laundry cycles.

3 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Thanks.

I will look.

But I've found local sizes wildly different than US sizes. Like you might be a 9 XL which vendors here generally wouldn't have.

9 XL. You fat git!   LOL

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Thanks.

I will look.

9XL !!! Christ, does the pavement crack when you walk on it? ???? (joke only :passifier:)

How many kilo do you weigh?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

So their advertised sizes are completely wrong, yes?

Asian sizes vs western sizes.  I have to wear a 4xl here when I wear an XL in the US, and even then the 4xl's are smallish, especially after washing them.  

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Chris.B said:

9XL !!! Christ, does the pavement crack when you walk on it? ???? (joke only :passifier:)

How many kilo do you weigh?

You misunderstood 

The sizes on Lazada stores are often way out of whack, have no relation to US sizes, and also are wildly different from store to store. Imported from China.

I've found it a <deleted> shoot mostly <deleted>.

Pants are much easier if they tell you the waist size in inches.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, pgrahmm said:

I like the Thai pullover collar the neck part never stretches out of shape or frays with time/washing/age.....

I had 17 made for me years ago to my specs & they are still going strong.....

Like a Henley style collar.....

I believe the cost at that time (8? years) was 350-400B each.....

Got a picture?

12 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

You misunderstood 

The sizes on Lazada stores are often way out of whack, have no relation to US sizes, and also are wildly different from store to store. Imported from China.

I've found it a <deleted> shoot mostly <deleted>.

Pants are much easier if they tell you the waist size in inches.

Most of the World use metric.

• Haha 1

My take on sizes is this.

In the UK/USA the sizes are standard and enforced by the big clothing chains importing said items.

The Asians sizes are generally supposed to be 2 sizes smaller than the West's however there are many thousands of manufacturer's and no enforcement of sizes so they produces sizes that differ from their own Asian standard. So these could be 3 sizes smaller for example.

Then there is the big companies in China manufacturing billions of clothes. If they have too many XL size and not enough 2XL, then they just re-label them 2XL, job done! ☹️ That's my theory anyway. Unlike the Op, if I receive a size that doesn't fit, I return it straight away.

• Like 1

Just now, Chris.B said:

My take on sizes is this.

In the UK/USA the sizes are standard and enforced by the big clothing chains importing said items.

The Asians sizes are generally supposed to be 2 sizes smaller than the West's however there are many thousands of manufacturer's and no enforcement of sizes so they produces sizes that differ from their own Asian standard. So these could be 3 sizes smaller for example.

Then there is the big companies in China manufacturing billions of clothes. If they have too many XL size and not enough 2XL, then they just re-label them 2XL, job done! ☹️ That's my theory anyway. Unlike the Op, if I receive a size that doesn't fit, I return it straight away.

I can't be bothered to send stuff back to China but good on you.

They make good rags.