Window washing on the 2nd floor

gingerandtabby

I have some large windows on the  2nd floor. I have an extension ladder that reaches to the bottom of the windows. A person would have to stand on the top rund of the ladder in order to reach the top of the windows. Anyone know a window washer who has no fear of heights? I live on the west side of Chiang Mai

On 3/25/2022 at 9:56 AM, gingerandtabby said:

I have an extension ladder that reaches to the bottom of the windows.

Telescopic cleaner not long enough if you stand with lower body supported by the ladder?

• Like 1

I do not know which district you live in, so cannot point you at a specific shop. Not far from me is a shop making bamboo furniture and othet artifacts. I got them to make me a 5m ladder so that I could reach some coconuts . The cost was about 1200 Baht.

1 hour ago, Maybole said:

I do not know which district you live in, so cannot point you at a specific shop. Not far from me is a shop making bamboo furniture and othet artifacts. I got them to make me a 5m ladder so that I could reach some coconuts . The cost was about 1200 Baht.

And that ladder met all applicable ANSI safety standards, right?

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, NancyL said:

And that ladder met all applicable ANSI safety standards, right?

Where in Chiang Mai can one purchase a ladder which meets those standards and what is the brand of the ladder?

1 hour ago, Dante99 said:

Where in Chiang Mai can one purchase a ladder which meets those standards and what is the brand of the ladder?

Barco and Little Giant ladders.  Available on Lazada.

We had a greenhouse/nursery business in the U.S. and the gutters on some of our greenhouses were 15 ft tall and we had an 1890s barn with a roof that sometimes needed repair.  I handled purchasing and/or renting equipment.  I'd never send Hubby or employees up on something like a bamboo ladder.  Be sure to have a spotter holding the base of an extension ladder.  

14 hours ago, NancyL said:

Barco and Little Giant ladders.  Available on Lazada.

Those I found on lazada were all much too short to do second story windows of this topic.  Maybe they had others I could not locate.

7 hours ago, Dante99 said:

Those I found on lazada were all much too short to do second story windows of this topic.  Maybe they had others I could not locate.

If you type "Little Giant Ladder" in the Lazada search engine the very first one shown is the one, actually one of several that we used in our greenhouse/nursery operation.  You may want to purchase the attachment where you can attach a tray to the ladder.  Very useful for painting or holding tools.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/little-giant-ladder-lgl15422-little-giant-22-foot-i255313356-s393707621.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.2.24f46e80IkvbnP&search=1

You may want to go onto YouTube and look at videos of the versatility of this ladder system.  It's a step ladder, extension ladder, can be part of a scaffolding system and was very helpful when we painted the walls of the stairwell in our house.

1 hour ago, NancyL said:

If you type "Little Giant Ladder" in the Lazada search engine the very first one shown is the one, actually one of several that we used in our greenhouse/nursery operation.  You may want to purchase the attachment where you can attach a tray to the ladder.  Very useful for painting or holding tools.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/little-giant-ladder-lgl15422-little-giant-22-foot-i255313356-s393707621.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.2.24f46e80IkvbnP&search=1

You may want to go onto YouTube and look at videos of the versatility of this ladder system.  It's a step ladder, extension ladder, can be part of a scaffolding system and was very helpful when we painted the walls of the stairwell in our house.

Thank you very much Nancy. It looks very good.  Appreciate your assistance.

22 hours ago, Dante99 said:

Thank you very much Nancy. It looks very good.  Appreciate your assistance.

I know the Little Giant ladders are pricey by Thai standards, but what is the cost of your safety?  In the U.S. one way they were sold, at least when we were last there 15 years ago, was at home shows, with a husband/wife team that made a living touring around to these type of events.  The husband would demonstrate the ladders with a nice little patter on a personal microphone that would draw crowds while the wife sat at a table, running a credit card machine as fast as she could as the ladders flew out the door. 

One time Hubby and I had our booth across the aisle from the Little Giant folks, unfortunately, and they blocked the aisle with the crowd they drew and few people were interested in our nursery stock.  Oh well.  At least we knew exactly how to operate the ladder when we left the show with one like everyone else, because we'd heard the guy's pitch a zillion times during the three days of the show. 

And they gave us a 10% discount as an apology for blocking the aisle during most of the show and we were so nice about it.  Actually, we had a nice little chat about what they did for a living, thinking maybe we were in the wrong line of work!

1 hour ago, NancyL said:

I know the Little Giant ladders are pricey by Thai standards, but what is the cost of your safety?

I have gone thru 4 Thai ladders, used them when they were good and when they were not so good just before recycling.  A Little Giant might have cost me a bit more than the four but probably would have provided more flexibility, satisfaction and safety.

Have to agree that the Little Giant ladders are pretty nice. However, you can get a fairly decent ladder for about a quarter of their cost. We bought one of these articulated ladders at HomePro about 10 years ago and it is still holding up despite being roughly handled by random tradespeople doing repairs at our house.

Articulated Ladder

It is 20 feet long stretched out. I find the most useful configuration to be an upside down L shape 15 feet tall with a 5 foot section at the top at an angle away from the base of the ladder. This works well for leaning against exterior walls. This setup works especially well for changing the chandelier bulbs in our so called grand staircase.

If you every remodel, pay attention to the design of the windows.  When we remodeled our 15th story condo, I insisted that the windows be of the type where the outside can be safely cleaned from the inside.  The maid would hang precariously out the windows of another high-rise condo where we lived to clean the windows and didn't want to have that in the new place.  Incidentally, we never asked her to do that, but she did.

The general contractor insisted it wasn't possible, that one glass panel had to be fixed, so I showed him sliding French windows on the website of a Bangkok company that sold PVC windows made in Germany, asking him to get a quote from them.  Rather than do that, he showed the website to his usual aluminum-frame window people here in Chiang Mai and they simply copied the design.  Thai ingenuity.  Now, the maid loves to clean the windows every week.  It's the first thing she does when she arrives.  

A pressure nozzle on the hose and a brush with man helper is all you need.

When I painted my house I bought one of those bamboo ladders for 600 thb, man was that sketchy. Never again, since I bought pretty tall step ladder, cost 4500 thb. Better to pay the big money and get the best.

Edited by EVENKEEL