Don't mention the war?

The United States targeted Russian banks and elites with a new round of sanctions on Wednesday, including banning Americans from investing in Russia, in response to what President Joe Biden condemned as "major war crimes" by Russian forces in Ukraine.

The new sanctions hit Russia's Sberbank (SBER.MM), which holds one-third of Russia's total banking assets, and Alfabank, the country's fourth largest financial institution, U.S. officials said. But energy transactions were exempted from the latest measures, they said.

https://www.reuters.com/world/us-allies-ban-investments-russia-sanction-banks-2022-04-06/

• Like 1

On 4/7/2022 at 4:40 AM, ozimoron said:

If they don't support their claims with links to evidence others are entitled to call them out on it. It's a constant problem here that the Putin apologists don't make any effort to do so. For obvious reasons.

Posts like this are why I can't be bothered with this thread any more.

If you don't understand why insulting those with an opposing viewpoint isn't a good idea, it's your loss when you end up only talking to a small clique with similar ideas.

BTW, your "side" are just as bad for not supporting their claims, and when I called one out on it he told me that I should do the research.

• Confused 1

On 4/7/2022 at 4:00 AM, coolcarer said:

Russia never said it was going to invade, actually it continually denied it and instead carried on their ruse with Belarus that it was just a military exercise. Until that is they carried out an unprovoked attack. I know you rightly said you weren’t in the room but not knowing even that basic fact makes it appear you’ve not researched this in the slightest.

that part of history has already been made

Did anyone actually believe that Russia was only on "exercise"? If they did, they must have been a bit gullible IMO.

I certainly did not believe it was only an exercise, so more clever people than I in important positions must have known it too. However, pretending that it was a surprise must have helped in the propaganda war.

On 4/7/2022 at 3:58 AM, Lacessit said:

Link to what you have read, please.

Putin has been known to use poison on his political opponents, he's not going to balk at killing civilians.

It's fantasy to think you can negotiate a settlement with a dictator. Chamberlain found that out the hard way.

The Budapest Memorandum was signed by the Russian Federation. It guaranteed the sovereignty of Ukraine, free of economic and military coercion, on condition Ukraine gave up its nuclear arsenal. It's a matter of history who honored that agreement, and who did not.

I refer you to your own words that you wrote when I asked you to provide a link

On 4/1/2022 at 2:47 PM, Lacessit said:

LOL, you expect me to do your research for you?

On 3/26/2022 at 4:05 AM, Lacessit said:

It is going to affect everyone, although most do not realise it. Russia will very likely default on its debt, which will roil financial markets worldwide. The cost of fossil fuels has already soared, nickel is trading at 5 times its price prior to the war. Wheat is up 20%. All that spells inflation and rising interest rates in most countries.

Agreed

i am currently in Uk people here are effected by war re cost of living increases, on top of tax increases, that  they talk about...... the actual war is from what i see is not really that important to them

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, poohy said:

Agreed

i am currently in Uk people here are effected by war re cost of living increases, on top of tax increases, that  they talk about...... the actual war is from what i see is not really that important to them

It might not be important to some now, but price increases wil be the least of their worries if the situation gets seriously out of hand....................................... and I can assure you that those who follow the news, current and world affairs are extremely concerned about the situation in Ukraine now and have been since the very start............

42 minutes ago, poohy said:

Agreed

Likewise where I live in NZ, no one talks about the war. It's in the newspapers, but just not of interest to most, apparently. Of course the politicians are bigging it up as something to take people's minds off the cost of living. Not succeeding though, IMO. Cost of living is the biggest thing at the moment.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bojo said:

It might not be important to some now, but price increases wil be the least of their worries if the situation gets seriously out of hand....................................... and I can assure you that those who follow the news, current and world affairs are extremely concerned about the situation in Ukraine now and have been since the very start............

The vast majority of us can't do anything about the war, so why worry about it? The cost of living affects us all personally so is actually important to us.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

The vast majority of us can't do anything about the war, so why worry about it? The cost of living affects us all personally so is actually important to us.

Absolutely. none of us can do anything.........................but those of us that have friends and family, especially younger members and children that have their whole life ahead of them, have every reason to be concerned...............................................I'm very fortunate to have lived a trouble free life, and I really don't care about myself, but it's not about me.................................................................

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, bojo said:

Absolutely. none of us can do anything.........................but those of us that have friends and family, especially younger members and children that have their whole life ahead of them, have every reason to be concerned...............................................I'm very fortunate to have lived a trouble free life, and I really don't care about myself, but it's not about me.................................................................

I understand what you are saying, but all the concern in the world isn't going to change anything re Ukraine.

BTW, I and thinking friends of mine have a pessimistic outlook on the future of the human race and nothing to do with the war. Overpopulation, pollution and the rise of greed are far more likely to destroy quality of life for all but the very rich, IMO.

Till we elect politicians that do more than make vapid noises about the real problems facing humanity while sucking up to the rich, IMO we are doomed as a species.

As seen on Al Jazeera yesterday, more of the Brazilian rain forest has been destroyed this year than last and even the rainy season hasn't slowed it, as usual.

A species that <deleted> it's environment will surely suffer the consequences.

Do you know what will make a real difference to the future of this planet? Apparently it's having less children, and we can all do that.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Till we elect politicians that do more than make vapid noises about the real problems facing humanity while sucking up to the rich, IMO we are doomed as a species.

Thank goodness for democracy, at least we have a fighting chance......................

9 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

As seen on Al Jazeera yesterday, more of the Brazilian rain forest has been destroyed this year than last and even the rainy season hasn't slowed it, as usual.

I remember learning about that at school in 1971

1 hour ago, poohy said:

Agreed

Perhaps it will become more significant if Putin starts lobbing nukes, which he has threatened to do.

World wars start when we aren't looking. In 1913, the historian Christopher Clark made the famous statement the world was sleepwalking towards war.

This was when trade between Britain and Germany was at a peak, and the Kaiser and England's King were cousins. Santayana's aphorism applies.

5 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Posts like this are why I can't be bothered with this thread any more.

If you don't understand why insulting those with an opposing viewpoint isn't a good idea, it's your loss when you end up only talking to a small clique with similar ideas.

BTW, your "side" are just as bad for not supporting their claims, and when I called one out on it he told me that I should do the research.

You're always trying to make the case that both sides are as bad as each other but on the issue of supporting claims that's manifestly not the case. I'm not insulting anyone for any reason, I'm calling them out for not supporting their claims, not for the claims themselves. That said there is a very strong correlation between BS and failure to provide supporting links. Show me where I insulted anyone for having an opposing idea as opposed to insulting the idea itself.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, bojo said:

Thank goodness for democracy, at least we have a fighting chance......................

I remember learning about that at school in 1971

so just imagine how much of the Amazon has been destroyed since 1971.

I refer you to your own words that you wrote when I asked you to provide a link

I didn't think the claim that Putin had poisoned his opponents was in contention anymore and needed a link. Am I wrong?

• Like 2

Did anyone actually believe that Russia was only on "exercise"? If they did, they must have been a bit gullible IMO.

I certainly did not believe it was only an exercise, so more clever people than I in important positions must have known it too. However, pretending that it was a surprise must have helped in the propaganda war.

Who pretended it was a surprise? Link please.

2 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

so just imagine how much of the Amazon has been destroyed since 1971.

completely beyond comprehension, not sure that I need reminding, but thank you all the same..........

Mimi Reinhardt, the secretary of Oskar Schindler, has died aged 107. She compiled the list of Jews saved from the gas chamber by Schindler, and was Jewish herself.

She is a reminder of heroes then, also of the pusillanimous apologists and fence-sitters for Hitler, just as Putin has his now.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Perhaps it will become more significant if Putin starts lobbing nukes, which he has threatened to do.

If that happens we probably really are all doomed, so like the man says, don't worry, be happy.

Will the last person left alive please turn off the lights before expiring.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

If that happens we probably really are all doomed, so like the man says, don't worry, be happy.

Will the last person left alive please turn off the lights before expiring.

I'm optimistic common sense will prevail, and someone will take out Putin if/when he gives the order. That's what Mutual Assured Destruction is all about, no-one wins.

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

I'm optimistic common sense will prevail, and someone will take out Putin if/when he gives the order. That's what Mutual Assured Destruction is all about, no-one wins.

If he wants he'll be able to launch a tactical nuke which then is likely to lead to total war.

Putin definitely has mental and possibly very serious medical issues. I think its entirely possible that he might be OK with taking the planet along for the ride.

Edited by Jingthing

On 4/6/2022 at 9:46 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

It's just a forum, not a meeting of the G7, and we should be able to post without getting abused by anonymous people. If he's wrong you can present your "facts" to correct him.

And he is just a troll.

He has no facts.

He has no links.

He just makes up anything he wants and posts it.

He thrives on any responses he gets.

He has been on my ignore list for a while, and I only see his posts if somebody in a thread responds to him, and I usually skip over his part.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Lacessit said:

You can dream. If Putin was by some chance assassinated, do you think his successor will be any different?

The only way to avoid MAD is by not getting to the point of pushing buttons in the first place, though I doubt there is an actual button involved, unless it's the one Hillary gave to someone.