Don't mention the war?

19 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

My timing must be s##t then, I always seem to sell out at a profit about 50% below peak.

Yup, off topic again.

I always let my kids know when I am buying. or selling ...they then do the opposite.....they should be millionaires in a few years.....555

• Like 1

6 hours ago, placeholder said:

What is the point of your post? Is there anybody who is suggesting that Putin didn't do it for reasons that seemed good to him? Why would he invade if it didn't seem like a good idea? On a whim? Or that he did it against his will? That the Devil made him do it? 

I'm sure invading Kuwait seemed like a good idea to Saddam. Does that mean it was a good idea?

Are you baiting me? Sure seems like it.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

8 hours ago, heybruce said:

He had excellent reasons.  A war of conquest to re-establish a Russian empire similar to, or bigger than, the Soviet Union would distract Russian citizens from the rampant corruption, stagnant living standards and absence of democracy.

I agree but your terminology almost threw me there.  Not sure what I would call his reasons but certainly not 'excellent'.

News today/yesterday that proves Russain propaganda.

14 April. Russian ship sinks.

14 April. Ukraine says it was hit by 2 of their Neptune missiles.

14 April. Russia denies it was attacked, says it was a fire and explosion.

15 April. Russia fires missiles attacking a Ukrainian anti ship missile factory.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

News today/yesterday that proves Russain propaganda.

14 April. Russian ship sinks.

14 April. Ukraine says it was hit by 2 of their Neptune missiles.

14 April. Russia denies it was attacked, says it was a fire and explosion.

15 April. Russia fires missiles attacking a Ukrainian anti ship missile factory.

I would guess it is a building formerly used as an anti ship missile factory, and the new factory will not have “Neptune Anti-Ship Missiles Inc.” on the gates.

12 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I doubt the entire German nation even knew about the camps, or if they did how bad they were, so no, they might not have supported that.

Politicians have always used dislike/ hatred of the other to gain/ retain power. Nothing new there. Quite a bit of it going on these days in more than one country.

You are wandering off the topic again, which is about the Ukraine and Russia in 2022.

13 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

wrong post. Sorry.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, billd766 said:

You are wandering off the topic again, which is about the Ukraine and Russia in 2022.

I thought his point was relevant.  How can ordinary Russians support the war when their 2nd cousin is a refugee at the Polish border?  The same way Germans supported Hitler; they thought their neighbourhood grocer was going to a Jewish enclave, not to a death camp, and they had no contact any more with the victims they had previously considered friends or acquaintances.

• Thanks 1

Russia will benefit from the increase in commodity prices due to the loss of supply from Ukraine and boycotting of Russia by others.  The volume of Russian sales will reduce, and Russians will suffer, through job losses and salary cuts, but the Oligarchs will prosper from higher margins on reduced  sales, and a reduction in costs from the decline of the rouble.

Edited by StreetCowboy
  • Like 1

Mariupol Mayor Vadym Boychenko told The Associated Press that at least 21,000 people were killed in Mariupol with bodies “carpeted through the streets.” He said that the Russians deployed mobile cremation equipment to Mariupol to methodically dispose of the victims’ bodies in order to hide the evidence of the massacre and prevent international organizations from documenting “the horror the Russian army is responsible for.”

The discovery of hundreds of bodies of civilians apparently executed by Russian forces in Kyiv’s suburbs after the Russian retreat from the area has fueled global outrage and accusations from Ukrainians and the West that Russia is committing war crimes in Ukraine.

https://apnews.com/article/russia-ukraine-kyiv-business-europe-moscow-f5b814ca711f0679cf362016cd46cd47

• Like 2

9 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

Those here that clearly support Putin - even though that support is often veiled should possibly consider that thousands of people on both sides have died, thousands more have been injured and entire cities have been destroyed as a direct result of Putin's actions and there can be no justification for any of that. 

I suppose you include me in that "veiled" attack, but I've never supported war from any side, and am attempting ( and obviously failing ) to bring some balance to the thread amidst the posts with nothing more to say than "Putin bad man" over and over and over, and those that detail the horrible things that happen in any war, but have little to contribute to the debate.

IMO there is more to this conflict than is apparent, and if any that try to see both sides are shouted down and cancelled those doing the shouting and cancelling do the debate a dis service.

Closed minded attitudes never solved anything.

Let's remember that all we can do is give our opinions, as I'm pretty sure that no one on here is part of those that actually make the decisions in the halls of power, and attacking those that disagree with you does nothing for the conversation, but it does say something about those that resort to personal attacks.

5 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Like what ?

Fear mongering by Ukrainian  supporters trying to get NATO to intervene and help them in their war ?

I support your opinion, but be prepared for the attacks from those claiming you are a Putin sycophant for not saying Putin bad, Putin bad in every post.

Just now, thaibeachlovers said:

I support your opinion, but be prepared for the attacks from those claiming you are a Putin sycophant for not saying Putin bad, Putin bad in every post.

Its the way of the internet these days . 

Unless you think that Putin is an evil psychopathic Nazi  wanting to take over the whole World and kill us all (Much  like Saddam and Gadhafi did )  and he needs to be hunted down and killed, then you are a White supremacist, Trump supporting far right Putin supporting Nazi , who needs to be silenced 

• Sad 1

Just now, Mac Mickmanus said:

Its the way of the internet these days . 

Unless you think that Putin is an evil psychopathic Nazi  wanting to take over the whole World and kill us all (Much  like Saddam and Gadhafi did )  and he needs to be hunted down and killed, then you are a White supremacist, Trump supporting far right Putin supporting Nazi , who needs to be silenced 

Ain't that the truth!

38 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Is there anything to suggest that Putin wants anting other than a non hostile Ukraine ?

Doesn't he just want a Ukraine that isn't affiliated with NATO ?

When has Ukraine ever threatened Russia?

NATO is a defensive alliance. Its only threat is of a military response if a NATO member is attacked.  With that in mind, the only reason Putin would not want Ukraine in NATO is because Putin wants to be able to attack Ukraine, as he has demonstrated.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, heybruce said:

Only simple minded people maintain that all those who disagree with them are ridiculous extremists.

For example, there is one poster here who maintains that those who advocate support for Ukraine want NATO forces fighting in Ukraine.  I don't recall anyone advocating that.

Attacking posters that one disagrees with isn't exactly a sign of maturity, but whatever.

Perhaps they haven't openly said they want NATO to go fight in so many words, but it's implied, IMO.

How else could Russia be "stopped" other than by the use of military force, and I doubt the US, the UK or any European country are going to declare war on Russia individually?