confusing phone call from police

Mavideol

3 hours ago, ChaiyaTH said:

The 9 would most likely initiate a paid phone number, from that moment you lose and they earn.

They basically have a computer script that just runs a database with numbers and a percentage will enter 9. Very old scam but pops up around the world again lately.

It could also insert spyware, nowadays even picking up a anonymous number can be enough. But that is usually more the work of intelligence.

very true. it runs a code and you start to pay as much as you keep the line, and they keep you talking. 

the new and upgraded version is they do video call. they use a computer program to create a face and police uniform it also can do the mouth move what ever you say. really realistic. They ask you to open your cam too. the moment you open your cam the moment you start to pay. He tries to keep you on the phone as long as he can. so that 9 upgraded to open your cam

Edited by problemfarang

18 hours ago, ChaiyaTH said:

The 9 would most likely initiate a paid phone number, from that moment you lose and they earn.

They basically have a computer script that just runs a database with numbers and a percentage will enter 9. Very old scam but pops up around the world again lately.

It could also insert spyware, nowadays even picking up a anonymous number can be enough. But that is usually more the work of intelligence.

didn't gave them a chance as I hang up within 10-15 secs and didn't push any buttons

• Like 1

My wife had a call from this number and was quite concerned about the threats.

It's certainly a scam, she went to the local police and made a report, they confirmed it was crooked.

A couple of days later I had a call from the same number, as soon as they realized I was a westerner they hung up.

https://www.thairath.co.th › lifestyle › tech › 2204246

• Like 1

I always cut of the call if there is no one on the other end or an automated message commences. They get approx 2 seconds to establish themselves or the phone goes down. If repeat or near nos calls follow I just block them. It's an advantage not understanding Thai. When my wife gets a call from an insurance agent for something she doesn't need however I really struggle to get her off the phone. For 2 yrs she has promised me that we can use AA insurers for house and car renewals but as soon as they get her on the phone she reneges despite me explaining all Thais think they are agents for everything and using an accredited agent with a proper office is not more expensive!

Edited by chilly07

4 hours ago, klauskunkel said:

Have you by any chance registered with certain government websites (MorPhrom, ThailandPass,...) before receiving those calls?

no, nothing not even social networks as I don't use any....

Have happened a few times I get pre recorded phone calls, and I hang up directly no matter what. If a person can not call me it can not be that important.

And if a person calls me and can not speak English, they usually hung up, unless it's important.

Edited by Eaglekott

It is a scam. First thing to note is that no government agencies use mobile numbers. I had the very same. The reason government offices, and this is not just Thailand but internationally, only use fixed line communications because they need, quite legally, to be able to record all communications in and out of the department.

Edited by Photoguy21

On 3/26/2022 at 1:55 PM, Whale said:

I had a similar one about 3 weeks ago, mobile number and prerecorded message in Thai saying 2 officers and a lady would visit me. I raised it here but no one had had similar. Nobody turned up, I thought it was potentially a scam of some sort. 

It is a scam. I had the same and a vehicle did turn up but quickly went away. I have heard from Thai's that they may come but then they will try to extort money or rob you. I cant verify this but that is what Thai's I know have told me.

Also, as I Have just said in a very recent post here, government departments do not use mobile phones to call anyone for legitimate business.

On 3/26/2022 at 2:52 PM, CharlieH said:

These mysterious calls seem to be doing the rounds at the moment, both me and the wife have had them. Recorded message and then requiring a menu selection. We ignore them and hang up! 

Yes, I had a similar recoded message allegedly from DHL .... press 9 for English, and another from 'Customs Police'.

They are scams apparently run by a Chinese gang using Thai and other nationalities to make hundreds of calls a day.

Hang up and block the number.

• Like 1