Thailand reports 24,635 new COVID-19 cases, 81 deaths, 25,753 recoveries

webfact

Today's updated past two weeks COVID trends chart (March 15-28) from the MoPH:

From left to right: serious COVID cases hospitalized, COVID cases requiring intubation, daily new COVID deaths, and 14-day running average of new official COVID cases.

In short, most of the key trends continue to be gradually upward, though the daily deaths have been fluctuating.

As reported earlier in this thread, today's numbers for serious COVID hospitalizations and intubations both once again set new record highs for 2022.

The current number of serious COVID hospitalizations right now is almost one-third (and rising) of the peak numbers reached during last year's Delta wave. But the current numbers of COVID intubations is almost 60% of last year's peak Delta tally.

2037242638_TwoWeekTrends2022-03-28.jpg.edcab68215080bffd8f4519ee4193671.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/informationcovid19/photos/a.106455480972785/530718738546455/?type=3

In red at the bottom of the middle chart, MoPH also is saying that 75 of today's 81 newly reported COVID deaths (92%) had not had their third dose COVID booster shot.

9 hours ago, webfact said:

The news comes as new information now points to Long COVID increasing the risk of diabetes, on top of earlier reported neurological issues.

That sounds like hogwash to me. Diabetes often remains undiagnosed for quite a long time, so the truth is probably that someone who suffers from Long Covid is more likely to get tested and diagnosed.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Caldera said:

That sounds like hogwash to me. Diabetes often remains undiagnosed for quite a long time, so the truth is probably that someone who suffers from Long Covid is more likely to get tested and diagnosed.

There are many new issues coming out with what is concerned as being Long Covid.  Covid keeps on giving as many other issues develop because of one having Covid.  The GF now has a UTI because of Covid.  I developed a Sinus infection and a friend now has what's called prostatitis.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7262504/

Thus, there is a significant group of patients with COVID-19 who are susceptible to suffering from prostatitis. Perhaps in the coming years, the real effect of SARS-CoV-2 on prostatitis cases will be evaluated and scope for researching factors that cause the clinical syndrome will be expanded. Further, it is possible that viral typing tests will be routinely carried out, among which the coronavirus will be mandatory.

8 minutes ago, Caldera said:

from Johns Hopkins COVID reports:

"Overall, COVID-19 was significantly associated with an increased risk of incident diabetes. Individuals who survived COVID-19 were 46% more likely than those with no history of COVID-19 to develop new onset diabetes (primarily Type 2) or be prescribed medication to control their blood sugar."

Another study, published recently in Diabetologia and based on records from a nationwide primary care database in Germany, found those recovered from COVID-19 had a 28% greater risk of developing Type 2 diabetes than people who never had COVID-19."

(more)

https://myemail.constantcontact.com/COVID-19-Updates---March-22--2022.html?soid=1107826135286&aid=Dt-VqO_r2xk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Ergo why they want to declare Covid endemic.  However, with the way this is starting to grow throughout the country, reality versus what this Government espouses, the case load will expand with the upcoming Songkran Travel and failure to adhere to the regulations put in place......

Case load yes.  UK has no restrictions and weekly incidence seems to be around 3 million people, but no excessive burden on the hospital system yet.  In fact, it's pretty much a normal year so far.

It depends on one's interpretation.  To me Omicron is pretty much like a bad flu year- horrible but something we've always experienced.

It could be different for Thailand though, because of low levels of natural immunity, and an inadequate vaccine campaign for old people.

In Hong Kong, the body bags are piling up because the island has (maybe has had) an unusually high number of extremely old people, and given their fragility doctors and relatives have been reluctant to vaccinate them in case it's the straw that breaks the camel's back.  A difficult call that one, but sadly wrong as it's worked out.

2 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

Case load yes.  UK has no restrictions and weekly incidence seems to be around 3 million people, but no excessive burden on the hospital system yet.  In fact, it's pretty much a normal year so far.

It depends on one's interpretation.  To me Omicron is pretty much like a bad flu year- horrible but something we've always experienced.

It could be different for Thailand though, because of low levels of natural immunity, and an inadequate vaccine campaign for old people.

In Hong Kong, the body bags are piling up because the island has (maybe has had) an unusually high number of extremely old people, and given their fragility doctors and relatives have been reluctant to vaccinate them in case it's the straw that breaks the camel's back.  A difficult call that one, but sadly wrong as it's worked out.

Well your view is definitely not mine when it comes to having Omicron and it being like a bad flu year, as I am still recovering from it and it his myself and the GF pretty good and is still the gift that keeps on giving with the UTI and major sinus infection.  A friend now has Prostatitis which started just as he was getting better.  Lets agree to disagree.  Oh and yes we were vaccinated and boosted, it is probably what kept us from being hospitalized but then being a diabetic with an autoimmune disorder and the GF have an auto immune issue as well it was hoped we would escape but we did not unfortunately.

39 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

That does not appear to be a health system under pressure.

I’ve not seen anyone suggest it was. it is increasing however but not on the scale of delta. Much of the lower rates in normal hospital covid wards is also due to the new policy of home isolation and treatment, not only due to Omicron and vaccinations.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

There are many new issues coming out with what is concerned as being Long Covid.  Covid keeps on giving as many other issues develop because of one having Covid.  The GF now has a UTI because of Covid.  I developed a Sinus infection and a friend now has what's called prostatitis.

Thus, there is a significant group of patients with COVID-19 who are susceptible to suffering from prostatitis. Perhaps in the coming years, the real effect of SARS-CoV-2 on prostatitis cases will be evaluated and scope for researching factors that cause the clinical syndrome will be expanded. Further, it is possible that viral typing tests will be routinely carried out, among which the coronavirus will be mandatory.

We have to be careful about making assumptions like this. 

Sinus inflammation is truly the bane of my life, but is a mild clinical condition caused by any URTI, as well as allergies, and is self limiting ( though utterly misery inducing).  UTI could easily caused by dehydration and not the virus- it's a common problem in Thai women. I don't know about prostate problems!? I mean, why?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, coolcarer said:

I’ve not seen anyone suggest it was. it is increasing however but not on the scale of delta. Much of the lower rates in normal hospital covid wards is also due to the new policy of home isolation and treatment, not only due to Omicron and vaccinations.

No nobody did.  But I'm bound to ask : Where's the fire then?

3 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

No nobody did.  But I'm bound to ask : Where's the fire then?

Ask these folks... but you'd better hurry....

1,718 COVID patients hospitalized in serious condition with pneumonia, setting a new daily record high for 2022 and passing the prior yearly high of 1,672 reported yesterday

The number of currently hospitalized COVID patients requiring intubation to breathe rose again to 675, setting a new daily record for 2022, and passing the prior yearly high of 644 set yesterday.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

We have to be careful about making assumptions like this. 

Sinus inflammation is truly the bane of my life, but is a mild clinical condition caused by any URTI, as well as allergies, and is self limiting ( though utterly misery inducing).  UTI could easily caused by dehydration and not the virus- it's a common problem in Thai women. I don't know about prostate problems!? I mean, why?

Never had a sinus infection in my life nor allergies.  GF is not Thai, and has never had a UTI before either.  You best do some research.

https://www.freepressjournal.in/mumbai/mumbai-uti-cases-surge-amongst-recovered-covid-19-patients

Mumbai has reported a surge in Urinary Tract Infections (UTI) amongst patients who have recovered from Covid-19, especially in the 20-60 age group. “UTI invites serious complications like inflammation of the kidney or even sepsis, if not tackled at the right time. Steroid treatment and uncontrolled diabetes are some of the common reasons for UTI in Covid-19 patients,” observed a doctor. Fungal UTI cases are on a rise due to the widespread use of antibiotics and steroids.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7905418/

Invasive fungal diseases are life-threatening infections affecting patients in immunocompromised state. It has been reported in the past that patients under intensive care due to influenza and respiratory viral infections including Covid-pneumonia are at an increased risk of developing invasive pulmonary fungal infections probably due to their reduced immunological competence 

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Well your view is definitely not mine when it comes to having Omicron and it being like a bad flu year, as I am still recovering from it and it his myself and the GF pretty good and is still the gift that keeps on giving with the UTI and major sinus infection.  A friend now has Prostatitis which started just as he was getting better.  Lets agree to disagree.  Oh and yes we were vaccinated and boosted, it is probably what kept us from being hospitalized but then being a diabetic with an autoimmune disorder and the GF have an auto immune issue as well it was hoped we would escape but we did not unfortunately.

But your symptoms were much the same as bad flu, weren't they? I remember even at my peak being absolutely levelled one year. It took me 2 months to recover.  Bit it's same, same- gone on every year for decades/centuries. You'll have more. Me too, if I can avoid the box meantime.

1 minute ago, ThailandRyan said:

Never had a sinus infection in my life nor allergies.  GF is not Thai, and has never had a UTI before either.  You best do some research.

https://www.freepressjournal.in/mumbai/mumbai-uti-cases-surge-amongst-recovered-covid-19-patients

Mumbai has reported a surge in Urinary Tract Infections (UTI) amongst patients who have recovered from Covid-19, especially in the 20-60 age group. “UTI invites serious complications like inflammation of the kidney or even sepsis, if not tackled at the right time. Steroid treatment and uncontrolled diabetes are some of the common reasons for UTI in Covid-19 patients,” observed a doctor. Fungal UTI cases are on a rise due to the widespread use of antibiotics and steroids.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7905418/

Invasive fungal diseases are life-threatening infections affecting patients in immunocompromised state. It has been reported in the past that patients under intensive care due to influenza and respiratory viral infections including Covid-pneumonia are at an increased risk of developing invasive pulmonary fungal infections probably due to their reduced immunological competence 

Now you're really going for it!

Unfortunately, it's in the nature of many illnesses that we never had them before. I never had appendicitis..... until the day I got appendicitis.... 

• Confused 2

2 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

Now you're really going for it!

Unfortunately, it's in the nature of many illnesses that we never had them before. I never had appendicitis..... until the day I got appendicitis.... 

Again your view and not mine.  

24 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

This is mostly about dehydration.  The article clearly states that.  It's why any infected person, with flu, stomach upset, or whatever gets hooked up to a drip in Thailand.  The article even states it's been very hot and humid, which causes dehydration.

5 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

This is mostly about dehydration.  The article clearly states that.  It's why any infected person, with flu, stomach upset, or whatever gets hooked up to a drip in Thailand.  The article even states it's been very hot and humid, which causes dehydration.

Like I said your view, but then it is Covid related once again......your in denial my friend

12 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

No. I rather feel like the little boy viewing the emperor's new clothes.  

You sound more like the boy who cried wolf one to many times to me. Nobody I know in Thailand is panicking, but there is an Omicron wave which is increasing daily with new serious cases. 

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

But your symptoms were much the same as bad flu, weren't they? I remember even at my peak being absolutely levelled one year. It took me 2 months to recover.  Bit it's same, same- gone on every year for decades/centuries. You'll have more. Me too, if I can avoid the box meantime.

My daughter is a fit 14 year old girl. Plays football at Academy level. She's never had a bout of the flu in her life that I know of at least never diagnosed as flu. Had plenty of colds. On the 24th March she contracted covid and I've never seen her with such a high temperature, severe sweats and chills, totally knocked out for 2 days/nights, fever just started going down now and the mucus kicking in, sneezing and coughing has started. She'll have a few days to go yet thats for sure. This is her worst illness for many years.

• Thanks 1

A post with unsourced and unsubstantiated claims has been removed.

Also a misinformation post, as there's virtually no Delta variant COVID circulating in Thailand right now, according to sequencing done by the Thai government. It's all Omicron.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This will shed light on why I believe we should not be overly concerned about the current Omicron surge in Thailand.  My argument is purely one of perspective.  Note, I am not denying anything.  I am not saying it is not dangerous to some, particularly the old and unwell.  I am merely saying things have got way out of hand in the media and on this forum too, relative to the way we lived our lives with its attendant risks prior to covid 19, and no doubt the way we will live it again.  

Since I am British most of my knowledge comes from the media in the UK, and actually that's a very good model with regard to Thailand as they have about the same population.

Edited by onthedarkside
links to misleading info removed

9 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

Since I am British most of my knowledge comes from the media in the UK, and actually that's a very good model with regard to Thailand as they have about the same population.

Roughly the same population but a vastly different immunity wall with the UK's high vaccine coverage and booster coverage with Pfizer and AZ. 

Unless you pick apart the data for those aspects then the comparison is invalid. 

This is Englands immunity wall for Omicron back in Dec, its far better now but gives you an example. For comparison you would need to also have Thailand's immunity wall data. Its only with that level of protection that you can bring down the CFR to around the same as or below flu in the UK.

FGVh2NaUcAALiDm.jpg.cc94f8849bed96d3ef1d2375388ebdfa.jpg

https://twitter.com/erictopol/status/1469692541599551492

3 hours ago, anchadian said:

AstraZeneca announces Evusheld long-acting antibody combination approved in the EU for the pre-exposure prophylaxis (prevention) of COVID-19 in a broad population

AstraZeneca's Evusheld (tixagevimab co-packaged with cilgavimab), a long-acting antibody combination, has been granted marketing authorisation in the European Union (EU) for the pre-exposure prophylaxis (prevention) of COVID-19 in a broad population of adults and adolescents aged 12 years and older weighing at least 40 kg.

The full company announcement is available here. 

https://www.astrazeneca.com/country-sites/thailand/press-releases/astrazeneca-announces-evusheld-long-acting-antibody-combination-approved-in-the-eu-for-the-pre-exposure-prophylaxis-prevention-of-covid-19-in-a-broad-population.html

Another great contribution from AZ and the UK. Although it has to be used as a passive vaccine, it also appears to have curative properties.

UK's GSK and Sanofi have also finally got their act together and are nearing completion on a conventional vaccine that will likely appeal to those who have reservations about the novel vaccines.  (Personally, the Pfizer suited me fine though).  GSK has a thorough pedigree with the flu jab.  

1 hour ago, Bkk Brian said:

Roughly the same population but a vastly different immunity wall with the UK's high vaccine coverage and booster coverage with Pfizer and AZ. 

Unless you pick apart the data for those aspects then the comparison is invalid. 

This is Englands immunity wall for Omicron back in Dec, its far better now but gives you an example. For comparison you would need to also have Thailand's immunity wall data. Its only with that level of protection that you can bring down the CFR to around the same as or below flu in the UK.

FGVh2NaUcAALiDm.jpg.cc94f8849bed96d3ef1d2375388ebdfa.jpg

https://twitter.com/erictopol/status/1469692541599551492

Yes, there are a number of confounding factors as with all studies and comparisons. But to say that this invalidates some form of comparison would be be somewhat harsh imo.  As far as I'm aware, by common acceptance, Omicron is still widely regarded as intrinsically less severe in disease presentation than Delta, so it may not all be about acquired immunity.  But there appears a giant hole in Thailand's defences in that a significant number of old people have yet to be vaccinated.  Doomsday predictions could yet prove at least partially accurate in this age group, as in Hong Kong.

... I expressed concern and sympathy for your daughter, which is genuine, as I too have a daughter and know how worrying it is when they are ill.  Ironically, as with another poster, it's likely largely a result of a robust innate immune response. 

We had Omicron in my household about 4 weeks ago. It manifested as a trivial cold cold in my young daughter, and as a harsh pharyngitis in the adults but soon passed. This was the experience in my friend's household, across the road, and next door.  Rumours were it was rife in the neighborhood at that time.  Oddly for me, I appeared to get through untouched.  So, perhaps my personal honest direct experience also explains why I feel the need to see things differently from many on the forum.  

32 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

Yes, there are a number of confounding factors as with all studies and comparisons. But to say that this invalidates some form of comparison would be be somewhat harsh imo.  As far as I'm aware, by common acceptance, Omicron is still widely regarded as intrinsically less severe in disease presentation than Delta, so it may not all be about acquired immunity.  But there appears a giant hole in Thailand's defences in that a significant number of old people have yet to be vaccinated.  Doomsday predictions could yet prove at least partially accurate in this age group, as in Hong Kong.

... I expressed concern and sympathy for your daughter, which is genuine, as I too have a daughter and know how worrying it is when they are ill.  Ironically, as with another poster, it's likely largely a result of a robust innate immune response. 

We had Omicron in my household about 4 weeks ago. It manifested as a trivial cold cold in my young daughter, and as a harsh pharyngitis in the adults but soon passed. This was the experience in my friend's household, across the road, and next door.  Rumours were it was rife in the neighborhood at that time.  Oddly for me, I appeared to get through untouched.  So, perhaps my personal honest direct experience also explains why I feel the need to see things differently from many on the forum.  

You seem to think that that people here on this forum are panicking and they are clearly not. As stated in my earlier post to you we all know that Omicron is less virulent than Delta why the need to continually bring this up?

Finally yes there is a huge difference in the UK and Thailand's immunity wall so the comparison is not at all valid, please don't be so naive as to think this is not a major factor. The UK's case fatality rate has gradually gone down over time, this is not only due to Omicron but also to the vaccinations and pre infection immunity. Thailand does not have the level of protection yet, hence why the comparison is invalid.

In time Thailand will get there but its not there yet.

Yes I'm aware of the differing symptoms people can have with covid, my other daughter in the UK who is a nurse and her children all had it, as did my wife here along with dozens of my daughters friends here including over half the football team who are also now down with it.

I appreciate your words and thoughts on my daughter.