Thailand Eyes Becoming Regional EV Manufacturing Hub

webfact

b77261832057d36a7d1e329988e3d75a_small.jpg

by Natthaphon Sangpolsit

BANGKOK (NNT) - The government has indicated its intentions to position Thailand as a regional manufacturing base for electric vehicles (EVs), with tax cuts and other measures rolling out to attract more investments.

Government Spokesman Thanakorn Wangboonkongchana said Prime Minister Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha had asked related agencies to monitor customer trends at the Bangkok International Motor Show, following the government’s rollout of measures to encourage the use of EVs.

Visitors to the auto show have shown a keen interest in EVs, due to the subsidy program offered by the government. Under the scheme, the purchase of an EV with a participating brand can receive a subsidy of 70,000 to 150,000 baht. The subsidy is being funded by the Excise Department, with a total campaign budget of 3 billion baht.

The department says it is open to discussing pricing structures with any of the auto brands.

Keep up to date with all things Thailand - Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

Major EV brands at Bangkok International Motor Show that are participating in the subsidy scheme include Great Wall Motor and MG.

Other companies that have expressed their intention to join the scheme include European carmakers such as Mercedes-Benz and BMW, Japanese brands such as Toyota, Honda, Mitsubishi and Nissan, and Chinese companies like Foxconn and NETA Auto.

The Bangkok International Motor Show 2022 is currently taking place at IMPACT Muang Thong Thani exhibition center in Nonthaburi and will conclude on April 3.

nnt.jpg
-- © Copyright NNT 2022-03-28

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Thanks 1

Another HUB , after all the previous hubs  been proposed,

I cannot think of one hubthat  been established , not taking account

of the hub of hubs,  Vietnam could have something to say about

that.....

regards worgeordie 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

that.....

regards worgeordie 

Well, the fact is that Thailand is already the major regional hub for ICE vehicle manufacturers. So it's not much of stretch for it to encompass that branch of manufacturing. Of course, it takes less worker to manufacture an EV since it's got a lot less parts.

4 hours ago, webfact said:

The government has indicated its intentions to position Thailand as a regional manufacturing base for electric vehicles (EVs), with tax cuts and other measures rolling out to attract more investments.

Only if foreign manufactures wish to continue using Thailand.

A fragile market that one day could easily move and Thailand will be screwed.

4 hours ago, placeholder said:

Well, the fact is that Thailand is already the major regional hub for ICE vehicle manufacturers. So it's not much of stretch for it to encompass that branch of manufacturing. Of course, it takes less worker to manufacture an EV since it's got a lot less parts.

With EV's having less parts it also means less workers in the supply chain.

And more automation within the assembly plants, I wonder what Prayut is doing to help the future redundancies?

Has there ever been a coherent policy in regard to the EV market here? They stopped marketing the Prius here due to ridiculous levels of taxation. Toyota is engaged in a major lawsuit with the Thai government right now, over broken pledges to lower taxation. 

Excuse my scepticism. I have never seen this administration engage in anything bordering on progressive policy. They are re-defining the words retrograde and backwards, on a daily basis. 

• Like 1

"The government has indicated its intentions to position Thailand as a regional manufacturing base for electric vehicles (EVs)"

A bit late and hyperbolic.

https://reglobal.co/increasing-uptake-southeast-asia-on-the-verge-of-an-ev-surge/

• To take advantage of its already existing automobile hub, Indonesia has chalked out plans to become a manufacturing hub of EVs by 2025. The country is aiming to export 200,000 electric cars by 2025 – which is nearly 20 per cent of the overall annual car exports of the country. Indonesia sold nearly 15,500 units of electric two-wheeler motorcycles and about 24 electric passenger vehicles in 2019 (as compared to only one unit sold in 2018).
  • Malaysia recorded sales of 32 EVs in 2019, up from two in 2018.
  • Singapore plans to phase out internal combustion engine (ICE) vehicles and have all vehicles run on cleaner energy by 2040.

Vietnamese VinFast has also shared plans already to enter markets in North America and Europe, opening orders for its first two EVs in the first half of 2022. VinFast has begun delivering its first batch of e34’s EVs for customers in Vietnam before entering the US market. https://electrek.co/2021/12/28/vinfast-delivers-first-ever-vietnamese-evs-to-local-customers/

Then there's the "800 pound gorilla" in Asia-Pacific region.

China exported half a million of EVs in 2021 throughout the world markets.

https://techwireasia.com/2022/03/china-exported-half-a-million-of-evs-in-2021-the-highest-in-the-world/

10 hours ago, worgeordie said:

that.....

regards worgeordie 

reminds me of a 10 year old, changing his mind every week what he wants to be when he grows up! I wonder why none of the hub dreams ever materialize????

5 hours ago, hotchilli said:

With EV's having less parts it also means less workers in the supply chain.

And more automation within the assembly plants, I wonder what Prayut is doing to help the future redundancies?

What is anybody doing anywhere to help with future redundancies? You have any suggestions?

10 hours ago, worgeordie said:

that.....

regards worgeordie 

Oil Firms Help Fuel EV Sector in Southeast Asia - ST - Asia Financial News

"Vietnam have set their sights on becoming a production hub for electric vehicles and battery storage, the report said."

Vietnam EV market heats up with local, international automakers (digitimes.com)

"Vingroup, the parent company of VinFast, plans to make Vietnam a major manufacturing country for the auto industry and is looking to do so by breaking into the EV market."

You seemed to be correct sir. 

Doing my best not to own an automobile.

You'd have to be a complete moron to buy an ev especially in Thailand.

I live in central Bangkok and have seen ONE charging station. That was in a fancy downtown mall parking lot. Incidentally, no vehicles were charging.