Shrinkflation

rbkk

8 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I also remember those good old times.

Amazing that they could get away with such and advertisement. 

I love chocolate but giving it an supposed health / work benefit is totally misleading. Food science and awareness was really bad back then.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, robblok said:

Amazing that they could get away with such and advertisement. 

I love chocolate but giving it an supposed health / work benefit is totally misleading. Food science and awareness was really bad back then.

Now it would be interesting to see a study how many people were obese at those times and now...

And about Mars: I find it annoying that I have to buy 3 of them today if I really only want to eat 1 "real" Mars.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Now it would be interesting to see a study how many people were obese at those times and now...

And about Mars: I find it annoying that I have to buy 3 of them today if I really only want to eat 1 "real" Mars.

Obesity has increased since those times. Hard to reverse something like that. I get your point about the size. Though I was not complaining about that I was complaining about how it was marketed. As i said food awareness was bad back then. 

Everyone should be able to buy as much bad foods as they want and get fat (or not). Their choice. In the end its a choice and should not be limited. But false marketing and false food claims that was my problem.

5 hours ago, robblok said:

Obesity has increased since those times. Hard to reverse something like that. I get your point about the size. Though I was not complaining about that I was complaining about how it was marketed. As i said food awareness was bad back then. 

Everyone should be able to buy as much bad foods as they want and get fat (or not). Their choice. In the end its a choice and should not be limited. But false marketing and false food claims that was my problem.

Another remedy might be to live one's protest.......if you're capable and engaged. 

Most aren't. That's what they bank on.

• 2 weeks later...
56 minutes ago, treetops said:

Beer bottle sizes shrank a few years back (330 to 320ml and 630 to 620ml or something like that).  No riots.

56 minutes ago, treetops said:

If the size of a bottle of beer shrunk that much there would be riots!

The ml shrinkage you quote was only 3% (Small) and 1.5% (Large). The shrinkflation I quoted is 16.66% so that equates to a 55ml shrink and a 105 ml shrink so the new sizes would be 275ml and 525ml. I still say that would cause unrest/riots!

Even more shocking is the shrinkflation on a small packet of Dewberry biscuits. You now get only 3 whereas before you got 4. A 25% shrinkflation! If beer bottle sizes shrank 25%.............

• Haha 1

When I encounter Shrinkflation, I react by boycotting the product.  For example, I refuse to buy and bottled product which leaves the upper 10 or 15% of the bottle empty.  Increase the price but don't give less product for the same or higher prices.  It's unethical and I'll stop buying. And eventually they raise the prices high enough that I stop buying the product all together. 

• Haha 1

You'll have a hard time buying anything these days if you boycott the companies that shrink sizes rather than raise prices.  It's no different in the US.....what was 1 pound cans of ground coffee turned into 14 oz then 12.  My recent favorite is the 6 pack of soda now offered as a 5 pack with one free.    What a deal!

To be honest, I prefer snacking on 15 gram bags of dorito chips.........I feel like I'm pigging out when I have 2 bags.  In the US, I could go through a pound bag in one or two sittings.

Edited by kokesaat
  • Like 1