Prayuth: You're free to brew your own booze - just read the fine print

webfact

On 3/30/2022 at 1:54 PM, wombat said:

or goes blind from the ethanol not being taken off like happens in Bali with Arak made from the fermented sap of coconut flowers or sugarcane

Methanol.  The drinkable bit is ethanol.

30 minutes ago, Hummin said:

I would say prostitution, since distillation of wine is maybe 3000 years old and maybe the chineese was the first ones to make liquor. 

https://www.copper-alembic.com/en/page/history-of-alcohol-distillation

Actually, the evidence of people making alcohol goes back around 13,000 years, which would make it distinctly older.

'World's oldest brewery' found in cave in Israel

The oldest known accounts of 'sacred' prostitution only date back to about 2,400 BCE. Even then, it's not clear that this was prostitution as such, rather than a kind of ritualized sex for religious purposes, without remuneration.

Does the Old Testament Refer to Sacred Prostitution and Did it Actually Exist?

Edited by GroveHillWanderer

2 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

Actually, the evidence of people making alcohol goes back around 13,000 years, which would make it distinctly older.

'World's oldest brewery' found in cave in Israel

The oldest known accounts of 'sacred' prostitution only date back to about 2,400 BCE. Even then, it's not clear that this was prostitution as such, rather than a kind of ritualized sex for religious purposes, without remuneration.

Does the Old Testament Refer to Sacred Prostitution and Did it Actually Exist?

Moonshine was the question which  is destilled liquor therefor not invented before, and prostitution have existed as long as we have been humans. Even Monkeys trade food for sex. However not carved in stone or paper as proof when prostitution really started.  

40 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

What's the difference...pineapple wine or beer. I guess if it is over say 8% ABV it would be classed as wine.

The one I tried was 11.5%. Drinkable to me but I don't have a discerning palate and I never made a habit of it. 

• Like 1

If you make booze, hard liquor, you need to take off the heads and the tails. This why people go blind from homemade liquaor. thedon't dicard the head and tails. The amount needing to discarded depends on houw much you distilling. 

On 3/30/2022 at 8:55 AM, Guderian said:

There are plenty of recipes for making pineapple beer on the internet, when South Africa banned booze sales due to Covid it kind of became the national drink down there. Pineapples are dirt cheap here, so why not give it a go?

The advantage of pineapples is, that they have the natural yeast needed already on the skin. So make sure that you know where the pineapples come from, as you would use them unwashed and don't want to dose yourself with a massive amount of insectizide.

I have made pineapple wine during my time in Thailand many, many times. The most important thing is to keep your pot and all other utensils really clean, as due to the tropical climate, there is a major risk of mold tipping over the fermentation.

On 3/30/2022 at 3:32 PM, vandeventer said:

Most of the people that drink home made booze where I live are nearly blind or fully blind. Is this the standard he wants? 

What do you call booze? Beer is booze as well in my opinion, I have been making my own beer for donkey years and I am not blind.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Rulie said:

If you make booze, hard liquor, you need to take off the heads and the tails. This why people go blind from homemade liquaor. thedon't dicard the head and tails. The amount needing to discarded depends on houw much you distilling. 

I think the danger of becoming blind is really overstated, if people remotely know what they are doing, you should be fine. Which means, regarding Thailand, you should at least know the people you are sourcing from, or know people who regularly drink from this source.

Even then, to actually go blind from self-destilled liquor, you would need to be completely undiscerning in your taste buds (as both heads and tails contain strong off-taste flavors, so not removing them makes the moonshine taste absolutely nasty and you would stop after the first small sip -- therefore, never drink moonshine mixed with other flavorful liquids until you know what you have in front of you).

Methanol itself is indeed indistinguishable from ethanol, so those instances were people really got blind drinking it would normally have been cases, were they drank industrially produced and therefore highly concentrated methanol (for example antifreeze). The advice here: don't do really stupid things.

On 3/30/2022 at 10:08 AM, Will B Good said:

Beer fine...... but if they start to distill there'll be dead bodies all over the place.

Whar you think people are only going to start knocking up home brew since this announcement?

Dont think it has been going on for generations already? Same as the growing of kratom or marijuana?

Do you think this is a novel concept only just considered since Prayut announced it? Lol

54 minutes ago, starky said:

Whar you think people are only going to start knocking up home brew since this announcement?

Dont think it has been going on for generations already? Same as the growing of kratom or marijuana?

Do you think this is a novel concept only just considered since Prayut announced it? Lol

It never ceases to amaze me how many people on here are bereft of any sense of humour.........

1 hour ago, Will B Good said:

It never ceases to amaze me how many people on here are bereft of any sense of humour.........

Apologies didnt read that way. Happens to me quite often. Humour, sarcasm or irony doesnt always translate well in text bereft of context or inflection as im sure you would understand. 

Some posters here are so enthusiatically serious about every topic that your post as written could well have been taken as such. Now that i have gleaned the breadth of your comic genius i shall evermore regard all your posts in such light. You sir in retrospect are clearly a Ricky Gervais or George Carlin of the Thaivisa forum.  (Thats sarcasm????)

Edited by starky
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/18/2022 at 9:06 AM, Will B Good said:

It never ceases  to amaze me that people don't understand they are not funny, are not amusing, don't understand  how humour works. Don't understand the difference  between verbal and textual based firms. Some people are bereft of comic ability. They ignore the clue that nobody finds them amusing  but instead blames it on their audience who, 'have no sense  of humour'. LOL

Now that is funny

Brewing wine , beer  and cider is easy and safe. Distilling is a different process.  Apparently  some people on this forum don't  know the difference between brewing and distilling alcohol. If the latter is now legal its to be welcomed as its cheap, easy , safe and can generate sensational results.

12 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

It never ceases  to amaze me that people don't understand they are not funny, are not amusing, don't understand  how humour works. Don't understand the difference  between verbal and textual based firms. Some people are bereft of comic ability. They ignore the clue that nobody finds them amusing  but instead blames it on their audience who, 'have no sense  of humour'. LOL

Now that is funny

Well.....I laughed so much that little diatribe a bit nearly popped out......you must be a pro.