Thaksin does not rule out working with Palang Pracharath

webfact

4 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Does the world understand? Does the world care? Look at the infamous Ferrari cop killer, does Interpol work to arrest him? Were Bush and Cheney prosecuted for their war crimes? Lots of international criminals get away with murder. When they are not arrested doesn't mean they are innocent. 

With Thaksin lots of what he did can be easily be researched in newspaper archives - if people want to do that. But it seems for many it is so much easier to listen to Noi and Nit. If they say he was good then he must have been a good man. 555

You step very easy over the "politic motivated "  as it so  the western world sees his convictions by a group who crossed even the constitution .....,and if Nit and Noi are the majority ...(even a poor in means) .....then so be it ....their country their vote .....

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Does the world understand? Does the world care? Look at the infamous Ferrari cop killer, does Interpol work to arrest him? Were Bush and Cheney prosecuted for their war crimes? Lots of international criminals get away with murder. When they are not arrested doesn't mean they are innocent. 

With Thaksin lots of what he did can be easily be researched in newspaper archives - if people want to do that. But it seems for many it is so much easier to listen to Noi and Nit. If they say he was good then he must have been a good man. 555

"Look at the infamous Ferrari cop killer, does Interpol work to arrest him?"

Interpol can only try to have him arrested if Thailand requests it/really wants it. Do you believe the present bunch really want him caught. Reeeealy????

"With Thaksin lots of what he did can be easily be researched in newspaper archives - if people want to do that."

Newspaper archives? Which ones are you referring to - BP and The Nation? You mean those beacons of independent journalism??:cheesy:

1 hour ago, Phoenix Rising said:

Their excuse is that they're a product of a class system which benefits from them being uneducated. What's your excuse?

Who stupid must someone be to not understand that if you vote for corrupt people then you will get a corrupt government. 

But then, millions of Thai buy lottery tickets all the time because they want to get rich fast...

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Obviously the following is only my humble opinion: I lived in Bangkok all the time when Thaksin came to power, when he made those infamous "honest mistakes", when he ordered the killing of thousands of drug suspects, when he enriched himself, his family and his cronies in blatant ways, when he sold his company for huge amounts of money and did not pay taxes, and and and. The list goes on and on. Just reading the newspaper everyday the question came up all the time: what next? when will people stop him? And then they stopped him. And then later his little incompetent sister, he called her his clone, was the official PM and he told her what to do. More of the same.

I understand when people didn't experience this time that they think maybe Thaksin was not so bad because lots of people support him. But anybody who lived in Thailand at that time and who paid attention should remember all that headache. Never again! 

I remember very well , never any headache, it was a perfect time und people were very happy, today is terrible darkness over this country

"With Thaksin lots of what he did can be easily be researched in newspaper archives - if people want to do that."

Newspaper archives? Which ones are you referring to - BP and The Nation? You mean those beacons of independent journalism??:cheesy:

You are obviously a smart guy and you tell us you live here since about 30 years. Even if you only remember 10% of Thaksin's crimes, that should be enough to remind you that he is a criminal. 

Or do you put your head in the sand and pretend he wasn't a corrupt criminal? Or do you think others are also corrupt and that should be reason enough to let Thaksin get away with his crimes? 

21 minutes ago, luckyblock token said:

I remember very well , never any headache, it was a perfect time und people were very happy, today is terrible darkness over this country

Did you live in one of those red villages? 

I like it now, no red-shirts on the streets since years, peace, ...

Worth remembering that Thaksin completely strangled what were the beginnings of an independent and open media in Thailand. He cowed the media through legal threats and action and forced them into self-censorship to stifle criticism of his actions. 

Edited by KhaoNiaw
  • Like 1

I've been living here since early in Chuan Leekpai's first stint as PM (92-95) and before that visited regularly since the 80's. I have watched one corrupt government follow the other so when noobs like you obsess over Thaksin I just chuckle and shake my head.:clap2:

These types never truly never comprehend the contemporary historic component, as just repeats itself over decades. 

Wherever the current [and made up] fashion takes them. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, KhaoNiaw said:

Worth remembering that Thaksin completely strangled what were the beginnings of an independent and open media in Thailand. He cowed the media through legal threats and action and forced them into self-censorship to stifle criticism of his actions. 

And so easily, and conveniently, forgotten....

50 minutes ago, KhaoNiaw said:

Also worth remembering that there is even less freedom of the press under this j government than under Thaksin.

• Like 2

You are obviously a smart guy and you tell us you live here since about 30 years. Even if you only remember 10% of Thaksin's crimes, that should be enough to remind you that he is a criminal. 

Or do you put your head in the sand and pretend he wasn't a corrupt criminal? Or do you think others are also corrupt and that should be reason enough to let Thaksin get away with his crimes? 

I'm preferring elected rulers to juntas. I know that is a really hard concept for you to judge but there you go.

You seem to really want to punish corrupted officials. Tell me, what would you like to see happen to the current bunch??

• Like 1

Did you consider that maybe I am as long in Thailand as you are?

I have to admit I didn't follow the political news since the day I arrived. But I remember a little the time before Thaksin. Yes, they had corrupt politicians. And then this super rich guy Thaksin told the people he is already rich and he does not need more money so he will be the perfect PM. And people believed him and they voted for him. And then, soon after he was elected, it came out that he was hiding his assets in the name of his maids, drivers, etc. And Thaksin told the people that was just an honest mistake. And he got away with that. That was the beginning of the end. He should have been jailed at that time and history would be different. 

But obviously you know all this if you are in Thailand for so long. Did you forget his honest mistakes? Or did you never care? 

It's like talking to someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder....:coffee1:

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, zzaa09 said:

And so easily, and conveniently, forgotten....

"Thailand ranked 59 of 167 countries in 2004 and then fell to 107 of 167 countries in 2005 in Press Freedom Index from Reporters Without Borders.[5][6] Thailand's ranking fell to 153 of 178 in 2010[7] and rose to 137 of 179 in 2011–2012.[8] In the 2014 index, Thailand ranked 130 of 180 nations,[9] falling to 142 in 2017 and to 140 in 2018.[10]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Censorship_in_Thailand

"Thailand ranks 137 in 2021 World Press Freedom Index"

https://prachatai.com/english/node/9195

12 minutes ago, Phoenix Rising said:

I'm preferring elected rulers to juntas. I know that is a really hard concept for you to judge but there you go.

You seem to really want to punish corrupted officials. Tell me, what would you like to see happen to the current bunch??

Are elected people always better? Remember, Hitler was elected...

And about the current bunch: Collect evidence and prosecute them. And if there is evidence and if they are prosecuted and guilty then they should be punished. Obviously it would be nice if we would have independent judges now. But that is not reality the case. Just like there were no, or at least few, independent judges when Thaksin was in charge. So keep the evidence and prosecute them in 5 or 10 years from now. Slow justice is better than no justice.

But most important: Thai people must realize that there is not just Thaksin and the military. There are many other choices. And if the majority of Thai people really want competent and honest politicians then they can have them. Just vote for them and don't vote for those thugs. It should be easy to understand. Until the next election...

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Phoenix Rising said:

And how stupid must someone be not to see that those who take power in the name of fighting corruption is at least as bad as the people they replaced??

Very, is the answer.

And then there is the Dunning-Kruger Effect. You can look it up. But I don't have much hope that you will understand why I mention it to you. Think harder! 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, OneMoreFarang said:

And about the current bunch: Collect evidence and prosecute them. And if there is evidence and if they are prosecuted and guilty then they should be punished. Obviously it would be nice if we would have independent judges now. But that is not reality the case. Just like there were no, or at least few, independent judges when Thaksin was in charge. So keep the evidence and prosecute them in 5 or 10 years from now. Slow justice is better than no justice.

But most important: Thai people must realize that there is not just Thaksin and the military. There are many other choices. And if the majority of Thai people really want competent and honest politicians then they can have them. Just vote for them and don't vote for those thugs. It should be easy to understand. Until the next election...

And yet, the ruling apparatus will always be around regardless of situations.

The bigger picture is being missed. 

Any real and positive change has to address the historic crux of all problems. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Phoenix Rising said:

Also worth remembering that there is even less freedom of the press under this j government than under Thaksin.

Does saying something against Thaksin mean you support this government? Things were at least starting to head towards a better direction at that time and were put into reverse by Thaksin at that time. I'm not talking about anything else. 

16 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Until the next coup....

5 minutes ago, KhaoNiaw said:

Does saying something against Thaksin mean you support this government? Things were at least starting to head towards a better direction at that time and were put into reverse by Thaksin at that time. I'm not talking about anything else. 

"Does saying something against Thaksin mean you support this government? "

Nope.

"Things were at least starting to head towards a better direction at that time and were put into reverse by Thaksin at that time. I'm not talking about anything else."

There was more freedom of the press under Thaksin than it is under the junta. I'm not excusing Thaksin's flagrant intimidation of parts of the press (I'm sure he would have loved to silence all critics) but the part of the press that was (and is) controlled by the old elite was never intimidated into silence.

Unlike now, where the entire press has fallen into line, and if it weren't for social media the "Time Keeper" and all the others could have done exactly what they wanted without anyone knowing about it.

But despite so many of them being caught red-handed are they being punished? Not at all, they continue with the in-your-face c machinations with total impunity.

And some obsess over Thaksin......:coffee1:

If your gauge of Thai politicians is how corrupt they seem, you're not in sync with the voters who simply want to know how well the masses and their families are doing. 

That's why Thaksin would win in a landslide, and why they won't let him back.  It's not because he's corrupt.  They all are at that level.  His crime was letting too much trickle down to the masses.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Phoenix Rising said:

And you slagging off the great unwashed masses for being ignorant!!:cheesy:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thai_coup_d'état

Capture.JPG

We could bet.

I would bet if a Shinawatra takes over again there will be another coup within 10 years. And without any Shinawatra I think there won't be a coup in the foreseeable future. 

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

We could bet.

I would bet if a Shinawatra takes over again there will be another coup within 10 years. And without any Shinawatra I think there won't be a coup in the foreseeable future. 

"We could bet."

And exactly when would the bet be due?

Let me fix that for you: I would bet if a Shinawatra takes over again there will be another coup within 10 years.

"And without any Shinawatra I think there won't be a coup in the foreseeable future."

The old elite (who control the military) won't coup themselves?? Wow, that's amazing foresight!

27 minutes ago, Phoenix Rising said:

Let me fix that for you: I would bet if a Shinawatra takes over again there will be another coup within 10 years.

It won't happen within one year. When Yingluck became PM everybody was sceptic but they gave her a chance. Would she work for all Thais and Thailand? Or would she do what her big brother told her. They let her try for a long time. And then the cabinet made that decision about 4am to whitewash Thaksin together with about 10,000 other criminals. That was the beginning of the end and everybody who paid attention knew that.

Let's look what the youngest Shinawatra will do. More of the same? Then the consequences will be more of the same and nobody should be surprised by that.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

It won't happen within one year. When Yingluck became PM everybody was sceptic but they gave her a chance. Would she work for all Thais and Thailand? Or would she do what her big brother told her. They let her try for a long time. And then the cabinet made that decision about 4am to whitewash Thaksin together with about 10,000 other criminals. That was the beginning of the end and everybody who paid attention knew that.

Let's look what the youngest Shinawatra will do. More of the same? Then the consequences will be more of the same and nobody should be surprised by that.

"It won't happen within one year. When Yingluck became PM everybody was sceptic but they gave her a chance."

They gave her a chance?? BWAHAHAHAHA! Do you really think the good 'ol boys were like "Hey, let's give her a chance because we only want what's best for Thailand."?

The old elite was denied unfettered access to the trough and they were chomping at the bits to kick her out from day one. But since she (as her brother) was massively popular they needed an excuse,  and to their delight they found one due to the stupid rice scheme.

Gave her a chance my rear end.

• Like 1