COVID-19: Thailand reports 27,560 new coronavirus cases, 85 deaths, 25,077 recoveries

webfact

COV31.jpg

File photo

Thailand on Thursday (March 31) reported 27,560 new COVID-19 cases, 25,077 recoveries and 85 additional deaths over the past 24 hours. 

Thursday’s cases bring the total number of COVID-19 infections in Thailand to 3,628,347 with 25,130 deaths.

The news comes as the Ministry of Public Health has asked the Government Pharmaceutical Organization (GPO) for an additional 75 million Favipiravir and Molnupiravir anti-viral medicines, as it anticipates a surge in COVID-19 infections during and after the long Songkran break in mid-April, when many people travel between provinces.

GPO Deputy Director Sirikul Matevelungsun said today that the additional doses being sought by the Public Health Ministry are on top of the 110 million Favipiravir pills ordered by the ministry since February.**

** Thai PBS contributed to this report

Discover Cigna’s range of health insurance solutions created for expats and local nationals living in Thailand - click to view

Keep up to date with all things Thailand - Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

Asean-now_Covid-Dashboard-Stats-Graphic-Template-Thailand-(update31MAR).png

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-03-31

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

Phuket marks 220 new COVID cases, no new deaths

PHUKET: The latest Phuket Provincial Public Health Office (PPHO) daily COVID situation report has marked 220 new local infections confirmed across the island yesterday (Mar 30), bringing the total number of infections recorded since Jan 1 to 46,329.

https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-marks-220-new-covid-cases-no-new-deaths-83636.php

Image: PPHO

• Like 2

I received 3th Pfizer a week ago and got an appointment in four month. As I was sitting and waiting for the side effects a nurse approached me and said that they made a mistake and for Pfizer there is no schedule as yet and took away my appointment letter. Don't know what to make out of this but I assure you it smells bad to me. This is the second time this month I was treated differently than Thai people though I shouldn't be.        

The U.S. now also has authorized fourth-shot COVID vaccine mRNA booster doses for those age 50 and older:

Pfizer/BioNTech and Moderna win U.S. regulatory nod for second booster shot

"The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) authorized a second booster shot of Pfizer (PFE)/BioNTech (BNTX) and Moderna (MRNA) COVID-19 vaccines for those aged 50 years and older on Tuesday.

The FDA clearance allows the use of a fourth dose of mRNA-based vaccines after at least four months from the first booster.

“Emerging evidence suggests that a second booster dose of an mRNA COVID-19 vaccine improves protection against severe COVID-19 and is not associated with new safety concerns,” the FDA said in a statement."

(more)

https://seekingalpha.com/news/3818472-pfizerbiontech-and-moderna-granted-fda-ok-for-second-booster-shot

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, HappyExpat57 said:

Recently in one of these posts, 80 deaths were reported with a side note that not a ONE of the deceased had received a booster.

Things that make you go "Hmmmm?"

I think that info has been coming from my daily updates on MoPH COVID deaths reporting....  And their day to day numbers have been running 90%+ -- more than 90% of the day to day COVID deaths lately have been UN-boosted.

PS -  today, the latest reported UN-boosted number was 84 out of 85 new COVID deaths (the red text in the bottom of the far right graph below).

1438595221_TwoWeekTrends2022-03-31.jpg.4f3f96f0e91fb64f0cc9adf7a050eeb5.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/informationcovid19/photos/a.106455480972785/532628655022130/?type=3

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

And highlights of the WHO's latest weekly COVID update:

Global COVID cases ebb amid testing blind-spot worries

"The five countries reporting the most cases were South Korea, Germany, Vietnam, France, and Italy.

China's daily COVID-19 total spiked to 8,655 new cases today, though about 82% were asymptomatic and mostly from Shanghai, where much of the city is on lockdown, and mass testing is under way.

In South Korea...Daily deaths reached their second highest level, and the number of critically ill patients rose to a record high."

https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2022/03/global-covid-cases-ebb-amid-testing-blind-spot-worries

The following was Thai MoPH's update on the details of today's 85 newly reported COVID deaths:

--51 male, 34 female

--84 Thais and 1 American

--Median age 75, with a range from 22 to 92 years

Of the 85, 69 were age 60 or older, another 15 were under age 60 but with chronic conditions, and one was under age 60 with no known chronic conditions.

Bangkok province had 12 of the deaths, though Nakhon Si Thammarat and Ratchaburi provinces each reported eight.

2022-03-31.jpg.6e6436b1a2363c0c6bbdcd88e730c208.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/informationcovid19/photos/a.106455480972785/532628738355455/?type=3

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

Covid certainly seems to be on the rampage in my location at the moment.

Wifes Brother, his GF, Daughter and sister all positive yesterday, Daughters friend positive today

3 rented rooms have Covid ( all different Factories ), again yesterday

It all seems very sudden and virulent

There seems to be some kind of large outbreak underway to the east of Pattaya near the Industrial Zones.

Quite a few reports of this ilk recently including my own, whereas not many reported such occurrences prior to this wave.  It's certainly not suggestive of the slow burn portrayed in daily figures.  I suppose the faster this thing goes the quicker the (partial) immunity wall is built.  I can't think of any other bright side, perhaps that mortality appears on the light side compared to many other countries.

• Like 1

Chonburi announces 1,414 new and confirmed cases of Covid-19 and four new deaths

Highlights:

• 1,414 new confirmed cases of Covid-19 in Chonburi today

• 8,323 positive ATK (rapid antigen) tests were reported but all require a second confirmed PCR test before being counted as official cases. The ATK positive tests are just “possible” cases until confirmed by PCR. TPN notes, however, that second confirmed tests are no longer mandatory except for high-risk groups.

• 1,157 (PCR) and 4,046 (ATK) recovered and were released from medical care

• Four new deaths

https://thepattayanews.com/2022/03/31/chonburi-announces-1414-new-and-confirmed-cases-of-covid-19-and-four-new-deaths/

No photo description available.

Edited by anchadian

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

"The five countries reporting the most cases were South Korea, Germany, Vietnam, France, and Italy.

China's daily COVID-19 total spiked to 8,655 new cases today, though about 82% were asymptomatic and mostly from Shanghai, where much of the city is on lockdown, and mass testing is under way.

In South Korea...Daily deaths reached their second highest level, and the number of critically ill patients rose to a record high."

https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2022/03/global-covid-cases-ebb-amid-testing-blind-spot-worries

'82% asympomatic' 

In the world's most immune naive but heavily vaccinated population.  If true, it could suggest 3 shots of their vaccines have teeth.  All hail Sinovac?

I wonder if that figure is right.

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

South Korea, another example similar to Honk Kong that did well to contain the outbreak through the 2 years and was looked on as a success in its model but no experiencing extremely high death rates more than at any other time. 

image.png.f8278bd98a4803de04c1b1922120f562.png

https://ourworldindata.org/coronavirus/country/south-korea

7 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

South Korea, another example similar to Honk Kong that did well to contain the outbreak through the 2 years and was looked on as a success in its model but no experiencing extremely high death rates more than at any other time. 

image.png.f8278bd98a4803de04c1b1922120f562.png

https://ourworldindata.org/coronavirus/country/south-korea

When I traveled through the Airport in S. Korea coming from Thailand and then returning from the US, the strictness and regimentation had gotten even more intense when I flew back on the 26th of February from when I had traveled through on the 17th of January.  I thought that S. Korea was showing they were handling the cases very strictly and had more regulations in place then Thailand did.  One wonders if the current situation there as well as elsewhere in Asia is because of a lack of boosters being given and the Omicron variant being stealthy.  The way that S. Korea and the others like Singapore and the Phils have been seeing cases explode tells me that the only reason Thailand's shown numbers are lower and not in such a steep icepick climb is that Thailand does not test and does not count all of the known cases, ATK tests, unless retested via PCR.  Just because a person only tested positive with an ATK and never was retested via PCR does not mean that the Covid infection they had was any less severe then someone with a PCR test positive, unless you want to dismiss it because they were un-hospitalized.  However, looking at a few members on this forum and who post in this OP, including myself, many have been sick enough to have been isolated and quarantined or have even been placed into a hospitel without the verification PCR test.

• Like 2

Apologies for the lateness of this report. Bit hectic in the hospitel trying to keep a 2 year old amused, but we are!

Another one of the jumps today from 293 reported yesterday.

Health officials on Thursday (Mar 31) reported 364 new COVID-19 cases in Prachuap Khiri Khan province, of which 107 cases were found in Hua Hin.

Elsewhere in the province, 82 cases were found in Pranburi, 31 cases in Sam Roi Yot, 1 case in Kuiburi, 19 cases in Thap Sakae, 54 cases in Bang Saphan, 15 cases in Bang Saphan Noi, and 55 cases in Mueang Prachuap Khiri Khan.

Two new COVID-19 related deaths were reported in the province today.

https://www.huahintoday.com/hua-hin-news/mar-31-prachuap-reports-364-new-covid-19-cases-107-in-hua-hin/

• Like 1

5 hours ago, HappyExpat57 said:

Recently in one of these posts, 80 deaths were reported with a side note that not a ONE of the deceased had received a booster.

Things that make you go "Hmmmm?"

Does this suggest that all the deceased were double-vaccinated, then? I thought the vast majority of seriously ill and dead folks were unvaccinated. In the name of sanity... I think it's time to stop reading this stuff because trying to fathom the truth is like a bout of explosive diarrhea in the head.

15 minutes ago, Stubby said:

Does this suggest that all the deceased were double-vaccinated, then? I thought the vast majority of seriously ill and dead folks were unvaccinated. In the name of sanity... I think it's time to stop reading this stuff because trying to fathom the truth is like a bout of explosive diarrhea in the head.

No this does not suggest all the deceased were double vaccinated, it suggests exactly what it says that nearly all covid deaths are in those who have not had a booster shot. In todays count out of the 85 deaths only 1 person had the booster.

For the numbers on the double, single and non vaccinated the last one I saw a few days ago was around 48% non vaccinated but they do not release this info daily.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Stubby said:

Ya, in their public documents and statements involving their daily COVID updates, the Thai MoPH has not been giving that more detailed kind of breakdown regarding deaths and vax status, AFAIK.

I believe they may have done a one-time recap of that sort involving deaths at some prior point, but I don't have that at my fingertips to answer your question.

Except to say.... the best medical/public health advice is that a third vax dose (a booster) is required to give the best protection against Omicron.

The various studies that have been done show that two shots only do very poorly at preventing Omicron infections, and offer reduced protection against illness, particularly once the person gets 4+ months past their second shot.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Thanks 1

Thailand reports record high of 28,379 new COVID-19 cases, 92 deaths, 23,843 recoveries

COV1.jpg

File photo

Thailand on Friday (April 1) reported 28,379 new COVID-19 cases, 23,843 recoveries and 92 additional deaths over the past 24 hours. 

Full story: https://aseannow.com/topic/1255373-thailand-reports-record-high-of-28379-new-covid-19-cases-92-deaths-23843-recoveries/

//CLOSED//

/Admin