Hong Kong/Thai tourist loses all his luggage after tricky taxi driver disappears

webfact

4pm.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

A half Thai half Hong Kong man called Lamsam told the Thai media how he and his partner were robbed of all their luggage.

Lamsan and Paveena, 32, had arrived at Ubon Ratchathani airport on a merit making trip to the north east from their home in Bangkok. 

They were confronted at the airport by drivers of unlicenced cabs and decided to take one to Khemmarat for 1,000 baht.

Keep up to date with all things Thailand - Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

The driver said he needed the loo and so they stopped while he did that and they went to the 7-Eleven at a gas station, reported Thai Rath.

When they finished their shopping and their own comfort break the driver was nowhere to be found. 

screenshot_17285.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

After ten minutes hoping he might come back they called 191.

Disappearing along with the cab were the couple's three items of luggage containing valuables up to 100,000 baht. 

Health insurance plans that meet the long stay visa requirements

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-03-31

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

58 minutes ago, webfact said:

Disappearing along with the cab were the couple's three items of luggage containing valuables up to 100,000 baht. 

100kbht in suitcases?

All they'd get from me is a couple of T-shirts and some used undies.

Paveena is hot!

So much for merit making, they won't be doing that again.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

100kbht in suitcases?

Paveena is hot!

I think most of us could have taken a reasonable guess at the value of the contents of your suitcase????......

These vehicles are described as licensed cabs.  If a person risks using one then those are the consequences.  Licensed or unlicensed.  I personally wouldn’t leave my belongings out of sight 

2 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Safe trusted amazing Thailand.

must have been a foreigner no thai unofficial or official taxi driver would steal from a customer !!!! would he Yes he bloody would be it on a dodgy metre or other means..never trusted them

10 hours ago, Will B Good said:

Bit rude? But I always snap a taxi drivers plate and licence.

I get my girls to do the same in London and tell them to make sure the taxi driver sees them doing it.

Always a good idea.

Makes the taxi driver think twice about a sneaky manuever when he sees you've got his information.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, BritManToo said:

100kbht in suitcases?

Paveena is hot!

I suspect they left their carry on baggage in the cab then. Not a good idea. We will get a post of an honest taxi driver returning forgotten goods in the next few days. 

• Haha 1