What happens if you fail a PCR test with insurance?

I've heard Safety Wing is reliable if the unfortunate happens, but I'm still not sure how it works.

They basically say they'll pay $50 per day towards quarantine if a doctor/government says it's neccessary.

So if I failed a PCR test (or day 5 rapid test) would I just say take me to a quarantine hotel (hopefully one close to $50 per day) and let them sort out the insurance with my provider?

They also offer $250,000 cover so that bit is okay.

This type of benefit is usually paid directly to the insured as the intent is to provide a cash benefit for the insured to use towards incidental expenses, not as direct payment or reimbursement for covered medical treatment.

Depending upon the insurer, you may have to submit a separate claim for this. Ask your broker or the insurance company how to claim.

I'm by no means a general insurance expert and specifically an expert in Thai insurance but it is my understanding the insurance never pays the hospital. The only case that this might be different is with SSO.

A stated in above post it is a cash embursement to you.

If you end up with covert be absolutely certain that you have a PCR test and that shows as positive!!!

Edited by TheScience

With my TUNE policy I had, the broker said that for Covid claims the insurance company DO pay the hospital directly. But for any other claim, you have to pay first and get it reimbursed.

18 hours ago, Tuvoc said:

With my TUNE policy I had, the broker said that for Covid claims the insurance company DO pay the hospital directly. But for any other claim, you have to pay first and get it reimbursed.

I would never pay upfront as you cannot be sure the insurance company won't wangle their way out of it. Just tell the hospital that you do not have the money to pay upfront as you only keep day to day living expenses while you are in Thailand.

You have already done your bit by getting insured, there are far too many if's and but's where this covid insurance is concerned.

From what I read from people who checked T&C it all depends ...!

Symptomatic positive tested farangs are shipped to the nearest most expensive hospital, hopefully in this case you/they can claim it off insurance that you had - if all ok..., (note I contacted FWD insurance and they said if no pre-flight PCR negative test you're not covered, need 14 days waiting period ! not sure many people know about that, I've now bought and started my insurance date already to cover this...)

If asymptomatic positive then you're locked in a hotel and quarantined (I think it was 10 days, but now talk of 5 days , not sure... !?). Hopefully this hotel doesn't have to be too expensive, I booked in 900b a night SHA+ Extra hotel and hope that's where I be quarantined...!  But note according to guys who checked T&C of most insurance companies we won't get a peny/dime (or is it a baht) from insurance !? because we're not considered sick or a patient ...!!!

I wish more people would come back with their story and feedback about when this happened to them, the rest of us (like me) just speculating...

1 hour ago, Agusts said:

I wish more people would come back with their story and feedback about when this happened to them, the rest of us (like me) just speculating

Attached was related to me about one tourists experience.

Not very helpful but here it is.

Screenshot_20220403-181410.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Agusts said:

I wish more people would come back with their story and feedback about when this happened to them, the rest of us (like me) just speculating.

Agree.

My previous post was more to bump your point.

Bit off topic but in my small circle seems Omicron is rife.

Myself and gf had it couple weeks back.

Now other family members along with gf salon etc.

No issue for us as just self isolate.

This damn thing is so contagious I would be nervous as a tourist visiting Thailand.

Hopefully the TP will disappear soon. 

BTW our symptoms were very mild. 

6 hours ago, Agusts said:

From what I read from people who checked T&C it all depends ...!

Symptomatic positive tested farangs are shipped to the nearest most expensive hospital, hopefully in this case you/they can claim it off insurance that you had - if all ok..., (note I contacted FWD insurance and they said if no pre-flight PCR negative test you're not covered, need 14 days waiting period ! not sure many people know about that, I've now bought and started my insurance date already to cover this...)

If asymptomatic positive then you're locked in a hotel and quarantined (I think it was 10 days, but now talk of 5 days , not sure... !?). Hopefully this hotel doesn't have to be too expensive, I booked in 900b a night SHA+ Extra hotel and hope that's where I be quarantined...!  But note according to guys who checked T&C of most insurance companies we won't get a peny/dime (or is it a baht) from insurance !? because we're not considered sick or a patient ...!!!

I wish more people would come back with their story and feedback about when this happened to them, the rest of us (like me) just speculating...

Can you quote exactly what fwd has replied to you?

have you contacted them before 1.04, when pre-departure test t was a requirement. Or was it already in April? 
i also have covid insurance with them. They have refused to send me wording of policy before i bought it. But i havent read it yet, as nobody warned about them. I do enclose pdf copy below. 
yes, gestation period 14 days is common, to prevent scam claims. 

Fwd covid insurN.pdf

Edited by internationalism
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Agusts said:

Symptomatic positive tested farangs are shipped to the nearest most expensive hospital, hopefully in this case you/they can claim it off insurance that you had - if all ok...,

You can also demand that they take you to one of those state free Covid quarantine locations. You know those one you have seen on TV with hundreds of beds in the same big room. I know a guy from Canada that demanded that when he was Positive on arrival. 5 days later they let him go, not even a ATK test. They of cause tried to convince him that those was not a place hor him and he should go to Hospitel.

17 hours ago, Agusts said:

If asymptomatic positive then you're locked in a hotel and quarantined (I think it was 10 days, but now talk of 5 days , not sure... !?).

5 Days and you can self quarantine at home if you have a condo or house to live in. Or stay at a friends house. Not locked up in a Hotel.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, internationalism said:

Can you quote exactly what fwd has replied to you?

have you contacted them before 1.04, when pre-departure test t was a requirement. Or was it already in April? 
i also have covid insurance with them. They have refused to send me wording of policy before i bought it. But i havent read it yet, as nobody warned about them. I do enclose pdf copy below. 
yes, gestation period 14 days is common, to prevent scam claims. 

Fwd covid insurN.pdf 187.66 kB · 3 downloads

I think I emailed them on the 1 Apr and explained the no PCR requirement, and he replied as I mentioned above, he said for my policy to be valid I must choose to start it 14 days before. So choose to start 1 Apr if arriving 15 Apr and so on...

They reply to their emails (address on their website) next day, and seem to read it carefully and understand it and reply logically - unlike some others. Just emailed them for more info...