Return from short UK trip, what if test Positive?

3 minutes ago, allanos said:

"I am doing my best to minimize contact with others  by coming Q suites with Qatar".

I don't think this will help much if you are flying banjo class with QR, as I did recently.

An Arab gentleman, sitting next to me, coughed and spluttered the whole of my journey

to Doha, where, thankfully, he disembarked. Similarly, many of the other pax around me

were coughing, the whole of that leg.

I picked up a serious cold (not covid) from my particular flight nearly a month ago, and

it is still with me.

My advice is to fly business or first class to avoid close contact with others. 

Didn't he wear a mask? I booked Q class coming back but they have since changed the planes to ones without, cancelled one flight and the times of 2 others!

16 minutes ago, clivebaxter said:

What is the legal situation if positive and you refuse to go to an over priced hospitel? Can you legally refuse to be carted off if you want to quarantine at home? Surely they cannot force you to pay these ridiculous prices if you refuse to do so.

Do not get sucked in by the rhetoric from posts that get grossly distorted in repetition.

Even when I came back last October I was faced with mandatory quarantine, which I did in a Pattaya hotel that was using a hospital in Laem Chabang. On arrival at the hotel the nurse told me that if I tested positive I would be sent to the hospital for assessment and if the doctor saw no serious sign of illness I would probably be allowed to isolate at home. If I had to be admitted it would be where there was capacity. I said I was registered at Bang Saen and she that being the case probably no reason why I wouldn't go there.

I have no doubt there are people that run into problems but what you never know if they are of their own making.

My niece is a free lance doctor and sees hundreds of covid patients nearly every day, as outpatients.

1 minute ago, sandyf said:

Do not get sucked in by the rhetoric from posts that get grossly distorted in repetition.

Even when I came back last October I was faced with mandatory quarantine, which I did in a Pattaya hotel that was using a hospital in Laem Chabang. On arrival at the hotel the nurse told me that if I tested positive I would be sent to the hospital for assessment and if the doctor saw no serious sign of illness I would probably be allowed to isolate at home. If I had to be admitted it would be where there was capacity. I said I was registered at Bang Saen and she that being the case probably no reason why I wouldn't go there.

I have no doubt there are people that run into problems but what you never know if they are of their own making.

My niece is a free lance doctor and sees hundreds of covid patients nearly every day, as outpatients.

You came back before they had this Hospitel racket going though, seems almost no policy pays for that and you really can't blame them

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, clivebaxter said:

You came back before they had this Hospitel racket going though, seems almost no policy pays for that and you really can't blame them

"Hospitel racket"? - you are quite to believe any rumour you want.

My policy had an allowance to cover overseas quarantine in the event of contracting covid.

1 hour ago, Polar Bear said:

This is what I thought initially as well, and the Thai Embassy UK site says 'infected more than 14 days'. But the rules actually say 14 days after the recovery certificate was issued.

https://consular.mfa.go.th/th/content/thailand-pass-faqs-2

"you must present a valid medical certificate certifying the full recovery (within 3 months but no less than 14 days before travelling)"

Recovery certificates can be issued at different times depending on the country. (In the UK, the earliest seems to be 7 days.)

On the London site it states the following-

If you have recovered from being infected from COVID-19 and the RT-PCR test before travelling is still positive, travellers must have a medical certificate stating that you have recovered from COVID-19 (infected more than 14 days but not more than 3 months). 

My recovery certificate was issued after 11 days .

Yes, I saw the same thing on the London Embassy site, and it's repeated in the English translations on other Thai Embassy sites as well. But it's not what the rules actually say, and it won't be the London Embassy who decide what happens once you are here.

For what it's worth, a relative just came back with a recovery certificate issued on Day 7, and he was 17 days post infection. He sent the certificate to the hotel, who sent it to the hospital, and no-one queried the date. As it was, he tested negative, so it didn't matter.

He did have a printout of the Embassy page to argue if necessary. However, my general experience so far has been that having evidence that you are right counts for very little where Thai bureaucracy is concerned.

We figured they would be unlikely to force him into hospitel quarantine under the circumstances, so the worst case was probably having to quarantine a few days at home until he was 14 days after the certificate was issued. But as I said, he tested negative, so we don't know for sure what would have happened otherwise.

39 minutes ago, Polar Bear said:

Yes, I saw the same thing on the London Embassy site, and it's repeated in the English translations on other Thai Embassy sites as well. But it's not what the rules actually say, and it won't be the London Embassy who decide what happens once you are here.

For what it's worth, a relative just came back with a recovery certificate issued on Day 7, and he was 17 days post infection. He sent the certificate to the hotel, who sent it to the hospital, and no-one queried the date. As it was, he tested negative, so it didn't matter.

He did have a printout of the Embassy page to argue if necessary. However, my general experience so far has been that having evidence that you are right counts for very little where Thai bureaucracy is concerned.

We figured they would be unlikely to force him into hospitel quarantine under the circumstances, so the worst case was probably having to quarantine a few days at home until he was 14 days after the certificate was issued. But as I said, he tested negative, so we don't know for sure what would have happened otherwise.

Department of Consular Affairs, Ministry of Foreign Affairs

- if a person who has recovered from COVID-19 within 3 months before entering Thailand Must submit a medical certificate certifying recovered within 3 months but not less than 14 days prior to travel. or have no symptoms to accompany a positive RT-PCR test result.

35 minutes ago, Polar Bear said:

Yes, recovered not less than 14 days, not infected for 14 days.

Recovered not less than 14 days is the same as not infected by 14 days. It just means that you have to have tested positive at least 14 days before you go to Thailand.

41 minutes ago, Polar Bear said:

Yes, recovered not less than 14 days, not infected for 14 days.

Have you applied for a Thai Pass with a short dated recovery certificate? Did they accept it?

41 minutes ago, Polar Bear said:

Have you applied for a Thai Pass with a short dated recovery certificate? Did they accept it?

As long as your infection was more than 14 days before you enter then your Covid Recovery Certificate is valid.

This is because the certificate verifies when you tested positive and when you were deemed to have recovered.

If it is more than 14 days It is not a short dated certificate.

Edited by mlkik

I'm sorry, I don't understand the point you are trying to make. You are considered 'recovered' or 'not infected' from the date your recovery certificate is issued. Obviously, you aren't 'recovered' or 'not infected' from the day you test positive.

But it really doesn't matter what I think, since I don't set or implement the rules. I hope it all works out for you, as it did for us. Good luck!

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, clivebaxter said:

What is the legal situation if positive and you refuse to go to an over priced hospitel? Can you legally refuse to be carted off if you want to quarantine at home? Surely they cannot force you to pay these ridiculous prices if you refuse to do so.

Good question

8 hours ago, allanos said:

"I am doing my best to minimize contact with others  by coming Q suites with Qatar".

I don't think this will help much if you are flying banjo class with QR, as I did recently.

An Arab gentleman, sitting next to me, coughed and spluttered the whole of my journey

to Doha, where, thankfully, he disembarked. Similarly, many of the other pax around me

were coughing, the whole of that leg.

I picked up a serious cold (not covid) from my particular flight nearly a month ago, and

it is still with me.

My advice is to fly business or first class to avoid close contact with others. 

Q suites is business class in a sealed private room.

So I don't follow your point or what you are meaning?

8 hours ago, clivebaxter said:

Didn't he wear a mask? I booked Q class coming back but they have since changed the planes to ones without, cancelled one flight and the times of 2 others!

I got two cancelled flights but luckily still ended up on one with Q suites.

6 hours ago, Scouse123 said:

Q suites is not sealed or a private room... its just a more private seat with a siding door its open at the top to rest of the cabin around it.

That said: it is one of the best possible options for isolation - the issue is QR do not fly Q suites on the same route all the time. 

i.e. I recently flew BKK-DOHA and the seating was awful - lie flat, but right next to another person (I accidentally spilt some wine on him !!! - yes, 1st time in 25 years of travelling I was ’that guy’).

Yet, the same route, flight number and time a month earlier was an excellent private Q suite. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Polar Bear said:

I'm sorry, I don't understand the point you are trying to make. You are considered 'recovered' or 'not infected' from the date your recovery certificate is issued. Obviously, you aren't 'recovered' or 'not infected' from the day you test positive.

But it really doesn't matter what I think, since I don't set or implement the rules. I hope it all works out for you, as it did for us. Good luck!

Thailand consider you are recovered 14 days after infection and that is the day you test positive.

Your recovery certificate states you have recovered and you have recovered 14 days after infection ,hence a recovery certificate is issued.

I am at a loss to what you are talking about. 

27 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

Q suites is not a sealed private room it is just a seat with a  sliding door to give you a bit of privacy. You are in the plane with everyone else.

I flew last year and paid silly money for Q suites.

10 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Q suites is not sealed or a private room... its just a more private seat with a siding door its open at the top to rest of the cabin around it.

That said: it is one of the best possible options for isolation - the issue is QR do not fly Q suites on the same route all the time. 

i.e. I recently flew BKK-DOHA and the seating was awful - lie flat, but right next to another person (I accidentally spilt some wine on him !!! - yes, 1st time in 25 years of travelling I was ’that guy’).

Yet, the same route, flight number and time a month earlier was an excellent private Q suite. 

I meant sealed as in the case of you can close yourself off from other passengers, I didn't mean it was a space capsule!

And I would definitely say it's a private cabin. It's the absolute best way to keep distance from other passengers.

I usually always check the seat configuration before I book and again if they change the flight to avoid the kind of problems you suffered, having said that, it doesn't work all the time.

I did similar to your wine accident in economy class with a full veiled Muslim woman sat at the side of me when I couldn't open my yoghurt. I stabbed it with a fork, it splattered all over and there were spots all over her black robes. I wanted to die right there that day!

I have just checked the prices today for the same flight and its 127,000 THB for business, I paid nowhere near that I am delighted to brag!

• Haha 2

Meanwhile back to the original thread by the OP,

Has anybody had experience of a positive test in Thailand on arrival recently and where were they sent?

Were they allowed home quarantine?

Did the hotel allow them to stay or were they sent elsewhere?

How long were they kept in isolation before another clear test and being allowed to travel?

I think that information would be invaluable to those of us travelling very shortly.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, mlkik said:

. You are in the plane with everyone else.

I flew last year and paid silly money for Q suites.

Well yes,

Of course you are on the plane with everybody else unless you charter a private flight.

I have said in another post, I have just checked my flight today and it's 127,000 THB, I paid a bit more than half that a few months ago.

I wouldn't pay 127,000 THB, I would look to another airline for business class such as Finnair or Turkish airlines for that amount of money.

On 4/3/2022 at 5:18 PM, Pappap said:

Yes it's imperative, no I don't want a hand to hold but that's the type of story I'm looking for.   thanks

I can tell you what helps. Wear a mask, don’t interact with friends etc for at least three four days before leaving Thailand and before leaving for Thailand.  If the trip is that important, be capable of trying your best not to catch the virus. 

4 hours ago, geisha said:

I can tell you what helps. Wear a mask, don’t interact with friends etc for at least three four days before leaving Thailand and before leaving for Thailand.  If the trip is that important, be capable of trying your best not to catch the virus. 

That's such great advice, thank you...

• Haha 1