Which of these is best as a home PC.

JeffersLos

2 hours ago, JeffersLos said:

To be used as a home PC for browsing, watching movies and my sons might use it for playing some games. The monitor doesn't matter as we will use one we already have. 

spacer.png

AMD Athlon Silver 305OU

4GB RAM

256GB SSD

Intel UHD graphics

Windows 11

spacer.png

i3-10105

8GB RAM

256gb SSD

Graphics Intel B560

Windows 10

spacer.png

i5-11400

4gb RAM

HDD 1TB

Intel UHD graphics 730

Maybe no OS?

spacer.png

i3-10105

Integrated graphics

8Gb RAM

256SSD

Windows 10

TIA

Trying to play games might be an issue; dependent on the game. Which games?

Generally they need either a good CPU or GPU for playing games. Those above have neither in particular.

5 minutes ago, Roger That said:

I think this thread proves that ASEAN Now is a terrible place to ask for IT advice ????

To be fair the question was straight forward and answered by many.

Throw in the gaming part without mentioning what games..... well that opens the can of worms and the replies will be a clusterfeck.

Edited by Ralf001
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, JeffersLos said:

Thanks.

Graphics Intel B560 v Integrated graphics.

Are they perhaps the same, or are they likely different?

not necessarily the same, as there are different models of intel integrated graphics, but yes, both are of the integrated type, which means poor performance in games.

In general, to play any game, you would want to avoid "integrated graphics" and "intel UHD graphics" and "nvidia GT730" or "GT1030" they are all rubbish.

choose a PC with specific graphics references such as "nvidia GTX 1650" or "RX 550 4GB". A graphics card needs to have at least 4GB RAM to be of any use

You also want to avoid PCs with less than 8 GB RAM.

I would like to make suggestions for you, as I am a gamer myself, but for this I would like to know the make and model of your monitor.

Here are some suggestions from online offers that are closest to your apparent budget:

https://www.advice.co.th/product/desktop-pc/desktop-pc-acer/desktop-acer-aspire-tc-1150-r58g1t00mgi-t003

https://www.invadeit.co.th/product/desktop-pcs/asus/rog-strix-g10dk-a3400g091t-star-black-p059518/

https://www.invadeit.co.th/product/desktop-pcs/lenovo/ideacentre-5-14iob6-90rj004qta-mineral-grey-p061192/

the above will run modern games at low settings and will run most older games (3-4 years) ok.

you might need to add a HDD.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, clivebaxter said:

Na just got a Macbook air M1, blows anything else away, unless you are 12 years old and want to play shoot the baddie games. Previous ones 30k+ Acer lasted 3 years and HP laptop which lasted 2.5 years. Sound on the Macbook air is the only real stereo on a laptop I have ever heard

It seems you think that you found a portable computer with good sound.

What a crazy idea!

My eldest son went with this one.

spacer.png

https://www.asus.com/th/Displays-Desktops/Tower-PCs/Everyday-use/ASUS-S500SC/

But I can already see it was a mistake.

He will want to double the 8GB of RAM to 16. I took  a stick out of mine but it wouldn't fit into the slot. Apparently it's U-DIMM, which I hadn't heard of before.

So I'll need to source an 8gb stick of Udimm RAM.

The storage is terrible. 256GB SSD. of which 237GB are useable, and 60 of which are taken up with the OS etc. He downloaded some 50-60GB games and it's already full. 

So I need to source a 2TB SSD, either internal or external. 

The CPU is good. 

The GPU is shown to max out on the Resource Monitor with some games that are 5-10 years old. So the GPU can hopefully be upgraded later. RAM and storage are more important first.

So we now need to add 8GB of Udimm RAM and a 2TB SSD for storage. 

CPU:Intel® Core™ i3-10105 Processor

Chipset:Intel® B560 Chipset

Can the GPU be upgraded at a later date or is it built into the processor? 

TIA.

On 4/1/2022 at 11:53 PM, ozimoron said:

OP was looking at a machine worth 16,000 baht. The machine you are quoting is over 42,000 baht.

And that's just the start of Apple reaching into your back pocket...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, impulse said:

And that's just the start of Apple reaching into your back pocket...

Apple products are for people that don't know anything about computers. Knowledgeable people steer clear. Experts use linux based products. 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, gargamon said:

Apple products are for people that don't know anything about computers. Knowledgeable people steer clear. Experts use linux based products. 

I'd say IT professionals use linux, especially Ubuntu but professionals otherwise use Apple in the main. Home users use Windows. Apple is heavily used in the US in particular. Macos is closely related to Debian linux and is a very fine operating system and the machines themselves are high quality.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JeffersLos said:

The GPU is shown to max out on the Resource Monitor with some games that are 5-10 years old. So the GPU can hopefully be upgraded later. RAM and storage are more important first.

Be careful with that because adding even a pretty basic GPU for gaming can easily double the cost of a $500 computer. 

If you want a sense of the speed of the CPU or GPU, here's the site I always refer to.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JeffersLos said:

Confusingly, the answer is both. That computer probably uses the built in GPU in the CPU. It's not really good enough for gaming and doesn't support a monitor beyond FHD. Monitors these days are typically QHD at least. You will want to add a separate GPU (GeForce) at some point. It will slot into the pcie slot which most mainboards have. Then the CPU will automatically notice the external GPU and use it instead of the inbuilt GPU.

• Like 1

On 4/1/2022 at 7:51 PM, Henryford said:

Never buy one with a HDD, or a chinese model like Lenovo.

Lenovo makes more PC's and digital products than Dell and Apple combined and they are generally of fair quality with a reasonable price-point.

A quality HDD can last for years and be the better value for large storage applications and where speed isn't critical. 

8 hours ago, JeffersLos said:

spacer.png

He will want to double the 8GB of RAM to 16. I took  a stick out of mine but it wouldn't fit into the slot. Apparently it's U-DIMM, which I hadn't heard of before.

The storage is terrible. 256GB SSD. of which 237GB are useable, and 60 of which are taken up with the OS etc. He downloaded some 50-60GB games and it's already full. 

The CPU is good. 

TIA.

We could have told you that had you come back with an answer about the games.

To my eyes, it's was an error. Perhaps you can get a refund on it and change it for something more suitable.

Too many problems. Your next would be the addition of a dedicated GPU. You would then run in to the issue of an inadequate PSU; likely 180 watts. The best you could install would likely be a GT 1030 2GB....until you changed the PSU.

Forget about a 2TB SSD. That would add another 6000 baht to the folly. A normal HDD will do for games storage, with the 256 GB SSD remaining as the Windows boot drive.

Personally, I would take it back and get something built, with a 500 watt PSU. 

7 hours ago, ozimoron said:

Confusingly, the answer is both. That computer probably uses the built in GPU in the CPU. It's not really good enough for gaming and doesn't support a monitor beyond FHD. Monitors these days are typically QHD at least. You will want to add a separate GPU (GeForce) at some point. It will slot into the pcie slot which most mainboards have. Then the CPU will automatically notice the external GPU and use it instead of the inbuilt GPU.

Don't just make it up as you go along. Check before pressing the Submit Reply button. 

9 hours ago, JeffersLos said:

spacer.png

The CPU is good. 

TIA.

Something based on;

https://www.amd.com/en/products/apu/amd-ryzen-5-5600g 8000 baht

&

https://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/B550M-HDV/## 3000 baht

would be much better for not a lot more..

16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 RAM perhaps 2500 baht

550w PSU perhaps 2000 baht

Case, I don't know; perhaps 1400 baht.

SSD, perhaps ADATA XPG SX8200 PRO 256 GB for 1700 baht.

image.png.f33506e32966464b60c66f66af74aa17.png

image.png

Edited by Bruno123

2 hours ago, Bruno123 said:

Don't just make it up as you go along. Check before pressing the Submit Reply button. 

I'm posting from very recent personal experience. I bought a QHD monitor to replace an FHD monitor and found it would not work at out of the box settings with the GPU in my i9:990K processor which has the same GPU as the machine purchased by the OP. I then bought an MSI GeForce graphics card, plugged it into the PCIe slot and it worked fine with the satndard driver. It's now using the standard repo listed proprietary nvidea-driver-510-server which was installed using the Ubuntu UI.

In theory the internal processor should have worked but doesn't. Both Philips and Viewsonic monitors failed to work at all.

Edited by ozimoron

13 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

I'm posting from very recent personal experience. I bought a QHD monitor to replace an FHD monitor and found it would not work at out of the box settings with the GPU in my i9:990K processor which has the same GPU as the machine purchased by the OP. I then bought an MSI GeForce graphics card, plugged it into the PCIe slot and it worked fine with the satndard driver. It's now using the standard repo listed proprietary nvidea-driver-510-server which was installed using the Ubuntu UI.

In theory the internal processor should have worked but doesn't. Both Philips and Viewsonic monitors failed to work at all.

You mean you were using Linux, as opposed to Windows, but you are misleading someone who is using Windows...

On 4/2/2022 at 11:45 AM, clivebaxter said:

Na just got a Macbook air M1, blows anything else away, unless you are 12 years old and want to play shoot the baddie games. Previous ones 30k+ Acer lasted 3 years and HP laptop which lasted 2.5 years. Sound on the Macbook air is the only real stereo on a laptop I have ever heard

I do wonder about Mac users, it's like Mercedes owners who buy them as a status symbol.

Your previous PC's lasted 3 and 2.5 years, how do you know your new pride and joy will last longer?

The Acer I am using to write this is about ten years old, perhaps you might consider a lighter touch on the keyboard.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, JeffersLos said:

spacer.png

The CPU is good. 

TIA.

why is it important for your son to have 16GB RAM?

the GPU is "integrated", which I had warned against, it will not run any modern games at acceptable settings and will struggle even with older games at low settings.

"upgrading" the GPU in this case is done by adding a graphics card. The power intake of the new graphics card might possibly exceed the computer's power unit capacity, so upgrading the GPU might also involve upgrading the power unit.

• Like 1

A bit late to chime in, but for future reference, last year or the year before I got a company/government-demoted Dell Vostro from Pantip: i5, 8Gb, Geforce graphic card (1gb), 128 ssd and 1tb hdd for 9000 baht. With some short term warranty (if anything wrong, bring it back.) Maybe the price has gone down (or up, per covid) since then.

The 128 ssd of the lowest quality (like a piece of plastic) crapped out shortly after. I replaced it with one intel 256ssd that I had laying around. Other than that, the unit ran fine. Okay for doing basic stuff in Premiere Pro (video editing - together with on-board graphic it can hook up two monitors) if all you do is 5-minute long video clip to post on youtube. No idea how it would handle "some games" since I don't play any. I ended up upgrading to another machine when I moved on to more intensive editing (the vostro then became sluggish, the graphic card being the smallest one I have ever seen). Also it's a tiny box so expanding with more card/power would be a problem. But for a "home" pc  i5, 8gb of ram and a 1gb gpu are more than adequate.

If in Bangkok then make a trip to Rangsit. The Zeer tower is definitely worth a look. For 15k you might find a big boy that can handle popular games.

1 hour ago, Bruno123 said:

You mean you were using Linux, as opposed to Windows, but you are misleading someone who is using Windows...

I don't believe I'm misleading anybody. The CPU in my machine and his use the exact same GPU and will likely face the same issue. This is not a driver or operating system issue.

Edited by ozimoron

1 hour ago, tgw said:

the GPU is "integrated", which I had warned against, it will not run any modern games at acceptable settings and will struggle even with older games at low settings.

"upgrading" the GPU in this case is done by adding a graphics card. The power intake of the new graphics card might possibly exceed the computer's power unit capacity, so upgrading the GPU might also involve upgrading the power unit.

To be fair, almost all CPU's have integrated graphics. A GPU card is a desirable option and anyone over 6 playing games should really have one. You are correct on your other points. A basic card like a GEFORCE GT 1030 would probably not overload the power supply and should provide decent graphics. Serious gamers would not have bought that machine.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ozimoron said:

Yeah, that's not right. Almost any integrated graphics can handle 4K resolutions easily, even on multiple monitors, for desktop usage (not gaming though).

Also disagree about monitors, I bet if you walk into any standard office the vast majority will still be using HD monitors and no more. Same for home users too, unless they're "enthusiasts".

OP, sounds like you made a bad choice, talking about immediately upgrading the PC as soon as you bought it. You should have paid more and chosen one with more suitable components.

28 minutes ago, Roger That said:

Yeah, that's not right. Almost any integrated graphics can handle 4K resolutions easily, even on multiple monitors, for desktop usage (not gaming though).

Also disagree about monitors, I bet if you walk into any standard office the vast majority will still be using HD monitors and no more. Same for home users too, unless they're "enthusiasts".

OP, sounds like you made a bad choice, talking about immediately upgrading the PC as soon as you bought it. You should have paid more and chosen one with more suitable components.

I only need to add a GPU card after buying a QHD monitor. You can say I'm wrong all you like, I'm just relaying my experiences. What current office workers (who don't game) are using is irrelevant. Most computer shops are now selling QHD and better monitors cheaply.

3 hours ago, tgw said:

It is sometimes up to 7 out of 8GB being used, there's no harm in doubling it with another 8Gb stick.

His friend came over this morning selling a 1TB HDD with games on it ready to be set up. Installed the internal HDD no probl, so that is the storage dealt with.

3 hours ago, tgw said:

upgrading" the GPU in this case is done by adding a graphics card. The power intake of the new graphics card might possibly exceed the computer's power unit capacity, so upgrading the GPU might also involve upgrading the power unit.

That's cool. ????

After doubling the RAM, that is something we will look at once we install the games and see what they are like, a graphic's card and power unit.

Edited by JeffersLos

18 minutes ago, JeffersLos said:

It is sometimes up to 7 out of 8GB being used, there's no harm in doubling it with another 8Gb stick.

After doubling the RAM, that is something we will look at once we install the games and see what they are like, a graphic's card and power unit.

Doubling the RAM will bring no noticeable increase in performance (in case the RAM is full, the SSD temporary storage will take over) - it just hurts the budget.

The exceptions are professional CAD / development applications or the latest games. Some of the latter require lots of RAM, but won't run at all with integrated graphics and will require relatively high-end modern graphics cards to run satisfactorily. The GTX1650 I previously recommended won't do the trick for running this kind of game.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/how-much-ram-do-you-need/

https://support.cdprojektred.com/en/cyberpunk/pc/sp-technical/issue/1556/cyberpunk-2077-system-requirements

also notice the i7 - the i3 CPU will be at a serious disadvantage.

Edited by tgw
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, tgw said:

it just hurts the budget.

RAM is super cheap. ???? 

I forgot to mention, one other small issue is that the genuine windows didn't come with MS Office, not that it is used much other than MS word once or twice a week.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JeffersLos said:

RAM is super cheap. ???? 

I forgot to mention, one other small issue is that the genuine windows didn't come with MS Office, not that it is used much other than MS word once or twice a week.

true.

for casual word/excel use Libreoffice or Openoffice are fine alternatives.

• Like 2