Pizza Oven

33 RPM

i am wanting to purchase a smallish pizza oven for the outdoor area

possibly one of the brick dome types,

perhaps something similar to the pic illustrated

any suggestions as to a reputable supplier / maker in the Bangkok to Hua Hin area

Thanks...

pizza oven 1.jpg

Choice of fuel to heat it, wood, pellets, gas ?

Saw more than a few option on the internet, from portable gas (LAZ) to build at your location.  Seems budget is the only variance.

Easy answer, buy a pizza stone for your regular oven.  Lazada sells them. 

If you want a taste of wood smoke in your pizza just place a small amount of wet wood of choice on a piece of aluminum foil on the bottom of the oven.

A cast iron skillet also works well and is great for frying or baking.

• Like 1

Thanks LA

yes ive seen the Lazada offerings and right up to 120,000 baht for a what id call a pretty basic unit

back home i had a fairly simple brick one that sat on a workable height brick supporting platform, cost less than $2000 " 50,000baht "

wood fired, worked a treat....

as for a pizza stone, had one, used it twice,  i dont want to use the indoor oven at all

4 minutes ago, HarrySeaman said:

Easy answer, buy a pizza stone for your regular oven.  Lazada sells them. 

If you want a taste of wood smoke in your pizza just place a small amount of wet wood of choice on a piece of aluminum foil on the bottom of the oven.

A cast iron skillet also works well and is great for frying or baking.

For others, indoor cooking, I've used the cast iron for pizza, preheated in oven, or place on gas stovetop to crisp up bottom, then finish in the oven, highest temp or under broiler, depending if pre-heated or burner crisping the bottom.  Excellent results, and can't get any cheaper.  Or find a good pizza steel.

Look on AliExpress. I bought a wood fired oven... using wood pellets.... There is definitely a learning curve. I think I paid about B8,000 if I remember properly, which was quite a good price at the time. Then you buy "certified" wood pellets from the States, ensuring the wood you are using has not been in touch with any chemicals. It is crucial that your oven has a thermometer. Some do not. 

//

The person that mentioned "wet wood" on aluminum foil... can you please say a bit more? Hard for me to imagine how this works. TIA

7 minutes ago, charliebadenhop said:

The person that mentioned "wet wood" on aluminum foil... can you please say a bit more? Hard for me to imagine how this works. TIA

Wouldn't try that indoors, as if it does work, not sure I want the house a bit smokey.   I have gotten good results with pizza, using gas grill outside, no wood added, but would think that a better place for 'smoking'.

2 hours ago, charliebadenhop said:

You soak the wood in water for a few hours. When placed on the hot coals, the wet wood smolders creating smoke. Whatever you are cooking will absorb the aroma of the smoke. Just be sure the wood you chose is suitable for smoking.  

5 hours ago, charliebadenhop said:

Look on AliExpress. I bought a wood fired oven... using wood pellets.... There is definitely a learning curve. I think I paid about B8,000 if I remember properly, which was quite a good price at the time. Then you buy "certified" wood pellets from the States, ensuring the wood you are using has not been in touch with any chemicals. It is crucial that your oven has a thermometer. Some do not. 

//

Simple, buy smoking wood pieces of the variety wanted.  Lazada sells wood for smoking meats, etc.  If desired split the wood pieces into small pieces, about 1/4" (0.6cm) square and a couple of inches (5cm) long.  Soak the wood in water a few minutes.  Place a couple on a sheet of aluminum foil and when you put the pizza on the stone or on the preheated cast iron skillet or griddle you put the sheet of aluminum foil with the wood strips on the bottom of the oven. 

The outside of the wood will dry out and start smoking.  As it chars the inner wood will dry and smoke.  How long the wood smokes depends on the size of the pieces of wood and how long you soaked the wood.  You can always take the foil sheet and wood out of the oven and use them another day.

You adjust the size of the pieces of wood, the amount you use, and the time you soak the wood to get the right amount of smoke. 

This also works for giving a roast of any kind or fish a bit of smoke flavor.  Google how to do it in an oven for roasts or fish.

24 minutes ago, okibkk said:

check out the guys from Pizza Aroy

www.facebook.com/pizzaaroymobile 

Be careful of anything (lined) made from steel, as it can't take the temps.  I had a lovely bbq in Udon Thani, from Yank making / selling ... until it wasn't, and the insides basically disintegrated when cleaning one day.  Actually used it for pizzas, baking & everything, since no proper oven at the time, only having a top element air fryer, for smaller meals, before they were a fad ????

He used 302 or 304 SS and it was c r a p, after a year or 2 of weekly use.

Edited by KhunLA

Thanks all, ill stick with the brick concept, it worked before so,,,

as for smoking food, i had 2 webers for 30 years and used a variety of wood chips, one of the best and cheapest was in fact apple tree wood, well aged and dried .

it was wonderful...