I got stopped by the police on my scooter

tethys

1 minute ago, hotandsticky said:

In 16 years I have probably picked 70+ fines.

All were legitimate fines in accordance with the Road Traffic Act 1979.

I am not saying that I agree with all those rules, but all my fines were kosher.

WOW... !!!  you are stopped 4-5 times per year !!.. thats crazy (where are you ?)

In Bangkok I’ve been stopped twice on my motorcycle in about 10 years.

Mainly in Bangkok, but also outside of Bangkok, I’ve been stopped while driving about 6 or 7 times (in 20+ years). 

(saying that we (wife and I) have loads of express way speeding fines (things like 6kmh over limit etc).

------------

Exactly how many traffic rules are you breaking ??? !!! 

And.. If you know the RTA so well, how come you are still breaking the rules ???

3 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

Motor Vehicle Act, : 
Section 42-2 
“In case there’s a treaty between the Thai government and a foreign government regarding mutual acceptance of driver’s license, an alien may drive a motor vehicle with a driver’s license issued by such a foreign government, 

I've seen this basic thread before, with many say yes or no. 

For the sake of a few quid I'd get one.

According to the Post Office you do need an IDP to drive in Thailand

"To drive in Thailand you will need an International Driving Permit 1949"

https://www.postoffice.co.uk/identity/international-driving-permit#IDP-Checker

23 minutes ago, Pmbkk said:

I've seen this basic thread before, with many say yes or no. 

For the sake of a few quid I'd get one.

According to the Post Office you do need an IDP to drive in Thailand

"To drive in Thailand you will need an International Driving Permit 1949"

https://www.postoffice.co.uk/identity/international-driving-permit#IDP-Checker

The UK post office is not the first place I'd consult on road regulations in Thailand. And one can't answer the question if an IDP is needed or not for a specific person just by specifying a country.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, digibum said:
3 hours ago, Moonlover said:

How long have you been in the country @tethys? You are aware I trust that if you stay here more than 90 days you must have a Thai driving license.

2 hours ago, digibum said:

I thought the law was that the IDP is valid in Thailand for the normal length of stay that you were permitted when you entered the country.  

If you enter on a ME non-O, that’s 90-days. If you enter on a ME tourist visa, that’s 60-days.  If you arrive visa exempt, that’s 30-days.  

So, the IDP may be valid for a year, but it’s only valid in Thailand for the duration of your stay based on what they originally stamped in your passport.  Visa extensions don’t extend how long the IDP remains valid for driving in Thailand.  

That was always my understanding.  

This may or may not be true but it in no way does it invalid my comment. If someone was staying beyond the validity of their visa, the validity of their drivers license would be the least of their problems.

I have only ever been fined once, for going down a one-way street the wrong way. Never seen a cop smile so much, gave him 200 baht and I was on my way with nothing written down.

I've been stopped dozens of times, produce my Thai DL, off I go.

I understand it is possible to be fined for having the side pegs out when one does not have a pillion passenger. As for a foreigner without a helmet - goodnight nurse.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, KhunLA said:
2 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

On "most"? You are dreaming. Very dedicated/selected highways only without U-turns, concrete divider etc.

2 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Yes ... On most, dual / divided inter-province, they simply haven't removed the 90 kph signs.  I drive 100-120 constantly, and have yet to get a 'camera' speeding ticket, even though most still posted at 90 kph.

Either I'm very lucky, doubtful, or they aren't enforcing the U-turn / barrier rule.  I've gotten my share of 'camera' citations when exceeding 100, before speed limit raised from 90 kph on the same highways.

@KhunBENQ is correct. Only those deemed to safe enough, which generally means 'motorway standard' have had their sped limit increased to 120kph.

10 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Only those deemed to safe enough, which generally means 'motorway standard' have had their sped limit increased to 120kph.

And as far as I remember you will see explicit signage allowing 120 km/h.

No signs? -> general rules apply. 80 km/h on undivided highways, 90 km/h on divided highways (for cars, less for big trucks/trailers).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, eisfeld said:

The UK post office is not the first place I'd consult on road regulations in Thailand. And one can't answer the question if an IDP is needed or not for a specific person just by specifying a country.

Don't understand that response at all re for a specific person..

It is for a specific country - it states for  a UK license you need an IDP.

IDP - is INTERNATIONAL, clue is in the name  

https://www.gov.uk/driving-abroad/international-driving-permit

• Like 1

8 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

So the police don't do their job. Seems to be a frequent comment on this forum. But when they do they are still doing it wrongly?

Good point. But in this case it would hinge on why the OP was stopped. If it was just for tea money, then no, they weren't doing their job. The cop should have spent that time at a grade school checking the 6 yo kids for their licenses.

4 minutes ago, RocketDog said:

The cop should have spent that time at a grade school checking the 6 yo kids for their licenses.

Do you really think the police a re that stupid, they know kids that ride scoots to school do not have a licence so why waste time checking them for one.

9 hours ago, tethys said:

I would need some help to understand what he could tell me because I'm not sure.

You showed him an expired International driving licence and your "home country licence"

YOU DO NOT HAVE A THAI MOTORCYCLE LICENCE.

Hope that helps.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Photoguy21 said:

Would you drive without a license in your home country? I doubt if you would

Its not exactly the same thing. You dont have to pass any test to get your IDP. Its just a formality. Your license issued in your country is valid for a life time.

• Confused 2

15 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Do you really think the police a re that stupid, they know kids that ride scoots to school do not have a licence so why waste time checking them for one.

I was assuming that he would want to do his job. But of course he doesn't. So he shakes down farang instead.

8 hours ago, Dave Aarons said:

Rather than worry about a small fine, what you should be concerned about is the fact that without a Licence, your Insurance is invalid.

Imagine the cost of repairing someone's Mercedes, or worse, a large hospital bill for someone you injure.

A Thai Licence costs a few hundred baht and can be done in one day.

In Phuket I have an appointment to renew my license which has expired...in three months. 

8 hours ago, Dave Aarons said:

Rather than worry about a small fine, what you should be concerned about is the fact that without a Licence, your Insurance is invalid.

Imagine the cost of repairing someone's Mercedes, or worse, a large hospital bill for someone you injure.

A Thai Licence costs a few hundred baht and can be done in one day.

curious what make you assume he had coverage 3rd party? ????

Nevertheless no use wasting time here go down and get the real answer as noted the fine is what a few hundred baht why pull your into twightlight zone thinking about it you guilty don't do the crime if you can't pay the fine or time. ????

Edited by thailand49

9 hours ago, BritManToo said:

No driving licence, 200-400bh fine.

Just think of it as a foreigner tax for driving in Thailand.

If you'd had a d/l he would have just made up another offense.

Must be lucky because never had that happen. Stopped numerous times in Chiang Mai, once no documents so fined, other times IDP, helmet, bike legal and was told thank you , on your way. Only times I've been fined in Patraya area was parking illegally, no helmet and , to my shame DUI.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BritManToo said:

No driving licence, 200-400bh fine.

Just think of it as a foreigner tax for driving in Thailand.

If you'd had a d/l he would have just made up another offense.

The official fine for no licence is 200b, Both Thai's and foreigners receive the same.

People that are paying 400, sure that is a tax, A stupidity tax.

9 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

I don't think that is correct. The home country licence is NOT valid on it's own (ironically, I believe you can drive in the UK on a Thai licence for 6 months).

16 years ago an officer pointed out that my UK DL was not sufficient for driving in Thailand and I needed an IDP.

It is correct, but most Thai police will use it as an excuse to fine you. An IDP is not required if the driver's domestic licence meets the requirements of the 1949 (Geneva) or 1968 (Vienna)  convention's, that is that the domestic license is in English.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

Or the policeman takes the keys when handing a no licence fine and you get keys back at police station when you pay the fine.

I know of a English fella that was rather annoyed at the keys thing and when he went to pay fine he loudly expressed his annoyance..... when the policeman went to get the keys that had been "lost" and the policeman was not interested in searching for them !!

Pays to bite tongue and be patient.

The first thing to do when you turn your engine off at a checkpoint is grab your keys and pocket them, this usually gets a rueful smile and aids you in appearing too much trouble to get tea money from...

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Captain Monday said:

An expired Intl driving permit and your "normal driving license"? From your country?

They never look the dates, I just let them keep the old international and never go down and pay  

Edited by San Fran Dan
  • Like 1