I got stopped by the police on my scooter

tethys

6 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

Not always 'stopped'....many speeding fines were picked up on camera. Between Chonburi and Buriram mainly but all over Thailand. Pattay is a prime area in normal times in view of the volume of check points.

Bangkok are the worst b4stards...... twice I was done for being the wrong lane (same wrong lane about 2 years apart) - just a bl00dy money trap and, IMO, unfair as you find yourself in that lane before realising that you need to be in the left.

1. Speeding, no helmet, passenger no helmet, no driving licence (left in a hotel photocopier at check in)  wrong lane, U-turn over double lines, running a red (just following the Thais in the inside lane at the top of Pratumnak Hill), driving in the right hand lane, over-loaded car, no red flag on a load that extended beyond the end of the pick up,.....I am sure there are more.

2. Some were oversights, some were ignorance, some were just chancing it (motocy, no helmet, parking in a restricted area)...speeding mainly on roads where the speed limit is ridiculously low (as I said, all were justified fines, I chose to exceed the limit)..... I don't pay (camera) speeding fines  -  learned that from Thais. 

Note: I am certainly not 'bragging' about the number of fines - or trying to turn this into a pi55ing contest. 16 years a long time and I am on the road most days. My sole point here was that ALL my fines have been legitimate and despite the number of occasions that I have been stopped, I have never encountered a fallacious charge.

BKK trying to shake me down 2,000 b for the wrong lane , ridiculous he was out of control , drove to the Copper box near Sukumvit and Nana and sorted for cheaper anyways 

4 minutes ago, San Fran Dan said:

BKK trying to shake me down 2,000 b for the wrong lane , ridiculous he was out of control , drove to the Copper box near Sukumvit and Nana and sorted for cheaper anyways 

If anyone feels the police are trying to shake them down they should ask the officer for a written ticket and you will pay at the police station/box.

Many ignorant people do not though.

Edited by Ralf001
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, eisfeld said:

No it's just a common myth. If there is no valid reason to fine you for then they most likely wont fine you. I've ridden more than 200 000 km in the past decade all over Thailand and gone through uncountable police stops and never been fined unjustly.

Bloke down our way done 205,000 km .....

10 hours ago, Dave Aarons said:

Rather than worry about a small fine, what you should be concerned about is the fact that without a Licence, your Insurance is invalid.

Imagine the cost of repairing someone's Mercedes, or worse, a large hospital bill for someone you injure.

A Thai Licence costs a few hundred baht and can be done in one day.

I want to get my Thai drivers licence for a motorbike, as I do not have a motorbike licence in my country and have never ridden a bike in my country and only want to ride in Asia. But it has been pointed out to me that there is something like a 3 month wait to sit the licence due to covid lockdowns etc. Quicker option is to apply through an agent. Still looking for someone suitable. 

Guest Isaanlife
10 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Their next bogus excuse is not carrying the 'green book'.

But they have been known to use no wing mirrors, rear footpegs down, the list goes on .......

You're supposed to sneak them 100bht first chance you get, then they wave you on.

Over the years in Isaan, anytime there was a checkpoint set up, pull forward, roll the window down, hand them 100 baht discretely, and off we go. Not going to sit there and argue for 100 baht. Part of the game.

12 hours ago, theoldgit said:

No, you can drive any type of small vehicle (for example cars or motorcycles) listed on your full and valid licence for 12 months from when you last entered Great Britain (GB), whether it be as a visitor or to take up residence.

Sorry, but hotandsticky is correct. When visiting the UK, one is able to drive legally with a FULL Thai Driving Licence for up to 6 months.????

12 hours ago, tethys said:

Is this really true? Even if you have a valid international permit they will make up something?

I have a Inter License--is EXPD and still works---luck of the draw

I also never put the green book in my name--never been an issue

Dont hate the player--hate the game--catch me if u can!

(waits to be scolded)

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

14 hours ago, Moonlover said:

How long have you been in the country @tethys? You are aware I trust that if you stay here more than 90 days you must have a Thai driving license.

That's the rule i think (was a few years ago).

A foreign driving licence, must be in Roman alphabet i think but not sure because what about the Chineese or Russian for example... 3 months.

Police may try to pretend it's not valid, happens to me in Phuket, but you can stand your ground on this, even on a motorcycle ????

16 hours ago, theoldgit said:

No, you can drive any type of small vehicle (for example cars or motorcycles) listed on your full and valid licence for 12 months from when you last entered Great Britain (GB), whether it be as a visitor or to take up residence.

Not in the UK but I have rented cars all over Europe using my US DL. They never asked for an IDP. 

3 minutes ago, Orinoco said:

Have all your papers in order and you will not have to pay any fines. 

Never paid a fine in 22 years of driving /ridding in Thailand.

for anything that i did not do wrong.

Things done wrong and caught. :giggle:

Turn left at red light. 400

One speed fine. 500

One expired licence. 400

No shake downs ever.

Maybe i'm just lucky !!!!!!!!!!!!!! :giggle:

Official fine for no  licence is 200, interesting you paid 400 for expired !!

11 hours ago, Nicknoodle said:

I want to get my Thai drivers licence for a motorbike, as I do not have a motorbike licence in my country and have never ridden a bike in my country and only want to ride in Asia. But it has been pointed out to me that there is something like a 3 month wait to sit the licence due to covid lockdowns etc. Quicker option is to apply through an agent. Still looking for someone suitable. 

I used an on site Driving School in Pattaya to get my MC license. 1000 thb and took 3-4 days. You take the written test over and over till you are able to pass, used their MB's for the riding part. When finished the school gave me paperwork to take to Land Office.

39 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Yes, was about 18 years ago on Soi wotboon pattaya, he wanted a 1000, i said no to much, he said what you give me, i said 400 baht.

he said ok, so i opens me  wallet, i only have a 500 baht note,  he sees the 500 and laughs, i say you give me change, he said ok, we are both laughing,  i give him 500 he gives me the 100 baht change,  job done !!!!!!!!!!

it was just two cops , one each side of the road, collecting money. ( but my licence was out of date so ok buy me ) :cheesy:

Ps It was an expired international licence so in reality i had no licence.

At the time i had no idea what any fine was in Thailand for this.

Edited by Orinoco
  • Like 2

Just now, EVENKEEL said:

I used an on site Driving School in Pattaya to get my MC license. 1000 thb and took 3-4 days. You take the written test over and over till you are able to pass, used their MB's for the riding part. When finished the school gave me paperwork to take to Land Office.

I was lazy, I paid 5k for my scoot licence, only thing I had to do was attend the LTD to have my pic taken.

16 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

They fined me 500 on an other occasion, license photo on phone, and went and paid it at the Police Station, so it should be the official rate.

Edited by tethys

21 hours ago, PremiumLane said:

Forget all this 'are international ones valid' talk - go and get a Thai driving licence now. If you have a licence from your home country and it is in English you can easily get a Thai one issued.

You are royally screwed if you get in an accident without a valid licence, no insurance and you will end up paying for everything. 

What insurance?, if he has a scooter, probably just the por ror bor, third party CTPL.

Edited by phutoie2

12 hours ago, AjarnMartin said:

Sorry, but hotandsticky is correct. When visiting the UK, one is able to drive legally with a FULL Thai Driving Licence for up to 6 months.????

No I'm sorry but you're both wrong:

For those moving to the UK

Driving in Great Britain on a non-GB licence

You can drive in Great Britain on your full, valid driving licence for 12 months from when you became resident

After 12 months you’ll need to apply for a provisional licence and pass the theory and practical driving tests to drive in Great Britain.

https://www.gov.uk/driving-nongb-licence/y/a-resident-of-great-britain/full-car-and-motorcycle/any-other-country

And for visitors:

Driving in Great Britain on a non-GB licence

You can drive any type of small vehicle (for example cars or motorcycles) listed on your full and valid licence for 12 months from when you last entered Great Britain (GB)

https://www.gov.uk/driving-nongb-licence/y/a-visitor-to-great-britain/any-other-country

• Like 1

22 hours ago, eisfeld said:

No it's just a common myth. If there is no valid reason to fine you for then they most likely wont fine you. I've ridden more than 200 000 km in the past decade all over Thailand and gone through uncountable police stops and never been fined unjustly. People probably started thinking that police make up reasons because a lot of people get fined for something else after showing their license but it's usually a valid infraction like no helmet, no paid road tax etc. And then there is a minority of police officers in certain places that don't know the rule or really just try to get money even by making up stuff. If they made up a justification and just wanted money then they wouldn't send you to pay at the police office, they would pocket the cash on the spot themselves. There's also always the possibility of missing information, misunderstandings etc. But if you are here for quite a while as your expired IDP suggests then it seems they might have a valid reason to fine you. Just pay it, it's not much.

I was fined 200 baht for driving on a dual carriageway near Saraburi......... I was told I did not have permission to drive on it?

16 hours ago, tethys said:

Its not exactly the same thing. You dont have to pass any test to get your IDP. Its just a formality. Your license issued in your country is valid for a life time.

Have you got travel insurance?It will be null and void if you get into a bike accident.

Read the small letters.

30 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

I was fined 200 baht for driving on a dual carriageway near Saraburi......... I was told I did not have permission to drive on it?

Tut, tut. Should have been in the service road?