Thai cabinet approves 6-year ฿50bn fund to produce over 13,000 doctors

snoop1130

An average UK 16 year old with a GCSE pass in General Science knows more about the human body than 90% of Thai doctors.  At my last visit to a Pattaya hospital my GF of four years who had an ear infection (caused in my opinion by wearing dirty earplugs IMHO) was diagnosed with VD!

They could easily convert 60% of Thai lawyers who set up shop to milk farangs not versed in local customs.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mikebell said:

An average UK 16 year old with a GCSE pass in General Science knows more about the human body than 90% of Thai doctors.  At my last visit to a Pattaya hospital my GF of four years who had an ear infection (caused in my opinion by wearing dirty earplugs IMHO) was diagnosed with VD!

They could easily convert 60% of Thai lawyers who set up shop to milk farangs not versed in local customs.

What was he doing messing about down there for an ear infection?

24 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Not sure about that, but I've helped by seeding a few nurses in my time.

Thailand thanks for your services young man! Now time to upgrade and produce some doctors with your innovative seeding technology!????‍⚕️????‍⚕️????‍⚕️????‍⚕️????‍⚕️????‍????

• Haha 1

Just now, RandiRona said:

Thailand thanks for your services young man! Now time to upgrade and produce some doctors with your innovative seeding technology!????‍⚕️????‍⚕️????‍⚕️????‍⚕️????‍⚕️????‍????

Oh he was not the first!

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, RandiRona said:

I'll get right on-to-it.

pun intended.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, zeekgarcia said:

They would have more doctors here, if they would allow people that are not citizens to enroll in the doctor programs here at the Thai medical colleges and once they graduate allow them to take the Thai medical council test to get their doctor licence to be a doctor here in Thailand.

True enough but I would think it not unreasonable that doctors (or any professions) primarily dealing with Thais or operating in the Thai public sector would need high Thai language proficiency to deliver their services effectively. 

From what I can see from the TMC website, foreign doctors are eligible to apply for a license, in a typically Thai way, the slight catch is 1 of the 3 tests requires essay writing in Thai. ????

Of course, there are certainly some foreign doctors knocking around and Bangkok has numerous foreign professionals operating in the private sector in law, IT, accounting, finance, engineering etc, normally this is tolerated by Thai authorities as they are under the umbrella of safeguarding quality and the investment of an international company. Primarily dealing with other international companies, the Thai language issue is a moot point for them. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The cost to produce a medical doctor in six years is estimated at about 1.8 million baht, plus another two million baht for structural support.

I would like to think that in order to entice the young and Gifted into the Medical Profession, the Government has set aside the 2 Million Baht " Structural Support "Fund to be used as Salaries more conducive to what a Doctor should be earning.

Even by Thai standards the Young Doctors are really poorly paid, and have to undergo a long period of time working in the sticks at run down Hospitals before they are allowed to go to any Urban Hospitals in Cities such as BKK or Pattaya,

Upon planting, do please not forget to add some common sense into the fertilizer and use less arrogance and semi-divineness ???? 

Whenever I asked a doctor for some details on what (s)he said, more than once I was asked back if I would query their competence. A few of the elder guard are seriously arrogant pr1cks; how can I understand if I do not ask. 

• 5 weeks later...
On 4/6/2022 at 8:50 AM, realfunster said:

True enough but I would think it not unreasonable that doctors (or any professions) primarily dealing with Thais or operating in the Thai public sector would need high Thai language proficiency to deliver their services effectively. 

From what I can see from the TMC website, foreign doctors are eligible to apply for a license, in a typically Thai way, the slight catch is 1 of the 3 tests requires essay writing in Thai. ????

Of course, there are certainly some foreign doctors knocking around and Bangkok has numerous foreign professionals operating in the private sector in law, IT, accounting, finance, engineering etc, normally this is tolerated by Thai authorities as they are under the umbrella of safeguarding quality and the investment of an international company. Primarily dealing with other international companies, the Thai language issue is a moot point for them. 

I am not sure if I was clear but they do not allow non Thai citizens that know the Thai language already to enroll in Thai medical universities and take the government test to get licensed as a doctor here.

For a non Thai citizen to get a doctor license here, they have to go study in another country and get licensed there and then come to Thailand and get licensed here. 

In which they should just allow non Thai citizens that know the Thai language to  enroll in Thai medical universities and if they pass, let them take the Thai government medical test to get a doctor license here, which would help with the doctor shortages.