Thailand dreams of high-end cannabis tourism after marijuana is legalised

webfact

3 hours ago, Headgame said:

Different view of the same argument.
This govt has shown time again that it like to go "step by step" as it makes any significant changes. Cannabis is a great example.

I consider this to be the end of phase 1 - made it legal.

Phase 2 will be to have designated recreational areas, e.g. Phuket where the "best" weed will be available. Promote the hell out of. Thai Sticks and the Golden Triangle. Have shops where you can select your smoke, smoke or take away your smoke, maybe a couple of cold beers and out the door. .2%??? Is that a misprint? No, the most potent weed Thailand can produce.

Then they will come. And I mean a lot will come. Legalize prostitution? That would be nice but really, who cares.

Quality or not, these tourists will bring their money and be prepared to spend, especially after a couple of hits on the bong.

I wonder how many people who are commenting on this thread took the trouble to read the full article in the Guardian:

'Authorities are also exploring the idea of a “cannabis sandbox” that would allow tourists to visit the country while recreationally using cannabis in select areas, to help create destinations synonymous with the drug, according to local media'.

The 'local media' referred to has the initials B.P. but as everyone knows I cannot post a link here.

One of the worst decisions  Anutin has made. It lowers motivation, affects memory, damages the cortex, pregnant have babies with many defects, 17% of people become addicted,  and others go on to heroin etc, causes cancer etc.

Anutin will get even richer but Thailand will suffer in the long run.

• Confused 6

4 hours ago, Headgame said:

Different view of the same argument.
This govt has shown time again that it like to go "step by step" as it makes any significant changes. Cannabis is a great example.

I consider this to be the end of phase 1 - made it legal.

Phase 2 will be to have designated recreational areas, e.g. Phuket where the "best" weed will be available. Promote the hell out of. Thai Sticks and the Golden Triangle. Have shops where you can select your smoke, smoke or take away your smoke, maybe a couple of cold beers and out the door. .2%??? Is that a misprint? No, the most potent weed Thailand can produce.

Then they will come. And I mean a lot will come. Legalize prostitution? That would be nice but really, who cares.

Quality or not, these tourists will bring their money and be prepared to spend, especially after a couple of hits on the bong.

Need a few thousand hits of 0.2 % garbage.  The only hit you would get is on your throat....its hemp nothing more. Period

48 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

I wonder how many people who are commenting on this thread took the trouble to read the full article in the Guardian:

'Authorities are also exploring the idea of a “cannabis sandbox” that would allow tourists to visit the country while recreationally using cannabis in select areas, to help create destinations synonymous with the drug, according to local media'.

The 'local media' referred to has the initials B.P. but as everyone knows I cannot post a link here.

Time to build a few giant tents out on the Sandbox beaches so the ones who want to get high can just go inside and hotbox it...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Maha Sarakham said:

From backpackers to potheads, the true quality tourist that will save Thailand.

meant sarcastically, but potheads are definitely much better tourists than alcoholics... sure they might drink and spend less, but they'll just enjoy their life instead of looking for fights.

But it's all moot anyways.... 'Cannabis' with less than -.2% THC is NOT Cannabis, it's hemp (I'm from Canada, where pot is legal as it should be in any civilized country so I know what I'm talking about)

This is typical thai stupidity...

Yeah, let's 'legalize' some hemp and call it Cannabis so we can keep the local conservative morons happy and at the same time attract a lot of tourists...

Good plan, guys, except for one teensy, weensy little detail... Nobody in the west is stupid enough to mistake hemp for Cannabis and nobody will go to smoke thie garbage (even the best weed, fully illegal of course, they have is garbage compared to BC bud from Canada, not a chance in hell anybody will go there to smoke their hemp)

whatever, they could do the right thing, legalize for real and get a lot more tourists (not to mention it would also benefit many locals since it is a very useful medication as well) but they prefer their <deleted> schemes that won't have any positive result...

I'm seriously debating never going back there... I've had enough of thai stupidity.

• Thanks 1

What's with the we want high end this, high end that all the time? The non hi-so numbers of tourists outweigh the hi- so ones by a multitude and at the end of the day the lo-so ones in total bring in more money! You should focus on appealing to the the masses and not the small elite!!!

• Like 2

here we are back in halfwit land again,unless u can get stoned guess what? it dont work,go buy no alcoholic beer at the same price as the real stuff.guess what? thats right einstein .no one wants it,what is the matter with these idiots theyll change heaven and earth the firmament itself to fit in with their particular flavour of bs,guess what? most of us have IQs that reach into double figs some even 3 unlike some leaders that believe that if u boil salty water it becomes less salty QED enough said rant over its just dumb corrupt people get extremely annoying after the thousandth time

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dlclark97 said:

As if there was not already a big enough problem with drunk driving now they are going to add legalized 'pot' to the mix.  Being Under the Influence whether it be alcohol or drugs, legal or not, will just magnify the road carnage issue here.

There's one in every forum like this continuing to spout the same tired rhetoric that went out when Reeder Madness became a cult classic.

Party on dude!

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Niteowl45 said:

meant sarcastically, but potheads are definitely much better tourists than alcoholics... sure they might drink and spend less, but they'll just enjoy their life instead of looking for fights.

But it's all moot anyways.... 'Cannabis' with less than -.2% THC is NOT Cannabis, it's hemp (I'm from Canada, where pot is legal as it should be in any civilized country so I know what I'm talking about)

This is typical thai stupidity...

Yeah, let's 'legalize' some hemp and call it Cannabis so we can keep the local conservative morons happy and at the same time attract a lot of tourists...

Good plan, guys, except for one teensy, weensy little detail... Nobody in the west is stupid enough to mistake hemp for Cannabis and nobody will go to smoke thie garbage (even the best weed, fully illegal of course, they have is garbage compared to BC bud from Canada, not a chance in hell anybody will go there to smoke their hemp)

whatever, they could do the right thing, legalize for real and get a lot more tourists (not to mention it would also benefit many locals since it is a very useful medication as well) but they prefer their <deleted> schemes that won't have any positive result...

I'm seriously debating never going back there... I've had enough of thai stupidity.

I hear you, but which brand of national stupidity would you prefer? There are over 135 varieties available after all.

Personally I prefer Thai stupidity because it's less invasive and more easily avoided or ignored.

BTW, if you are "seriously debating" yourself it may be time to put down the bud for a day or two. ????

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, robert888d said:

One of the worst decisions  Anutin has made. It lowers motivation, affects memory, damages the cortex, pregnant have babies with many defects, 17% of people become addicted,  and others go on to heroin etc, causes cancer etc.

Anutin will get even richer but Thailand will suffer in the long run.

5555555555 55555555 555555

Hahahahahahaaha

Sorry. An emoji wasn't good enough.

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Maha Sarakham said:

From backpackers to potheads, the true quality tourist that will save Thailand.

Some will make a killing growing this <deleted> and selling it, and who is going to control the strength of this dope, the dopes that push it, Thailand will fill up with stoneheads, couple that with alcohol and driving and guns, the wild wild west will be established, crime will flourish, just imagine all the stoned idiots riding bike's around with 3 children on board, f ing stupidity at the least. 

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, dlclark97 said:

As if there was not already a big enough problem with drunk driving now they are going to add legalized 'pot' to the mix.  Being Under the Influence whether it be alcohol or drugs, legal or not, will just magnify the road carnage issue here.

Who calls it "pot' these days ????????????..i wouldnt worry old timer nobody getting stoned on hemp..

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, heybruce said:

Thailand won't have legal recreational marijuana until some well connected hi-so families can dominate the industry.  Just like with alcohol.

I’m sure they can find an expert in that domaine amongst themselves ? 

1 hour ago, kiwikeith said:

Some will make a killing growing this <deleted> and selling it, and who is going to control the strength of this dope, the dopes that push it, Thailand will fill up with stoneheads, couple that with alcohol and driving and guns, the wild wild west will be established, crime will flourish, just imagine all the stoned idiots riding bike's around with 3 children on board, f ing stupidity at the least. 

Well, it's something to look forward to then. Things were getting boring in LOS. 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, heybruce said:

Thailand won't have legal recreational marijuana until some well connected hi-so families can dominate the industry.  Just like with alcohol.

Why do you think this prelude has been announced? Cracking the door open just a bit. It's their way of working up to exactly what you said. Incrementally. Do you think the hi so families are not already part of the discussion? Ha! They are probably leading it. Wherever there is money to be made the seas shall part. Combine the profiteering with the tourism angle and voila! It's just a matter of sorting out the size and distribution of the brown envelopes and the "taxes". 

• Like 1